Hotel V - Movie World hotel

Brad2912

Well, I mean it's not like no one knew that MW was planning a on site hotel. Plans for a hotel were announced alongside the new coaster which turned out to be DCR. MW really needs this hotel since it's developing into the place to go for Australian coaster fans. 

1 minute ago, OgreMagic said:

A hotel, eh? Interesting. I know I'm looked forward to looking at the room window and seeing Rivals at night!

You think there be noise complaints from hotel guests ( looks at LPS ).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ranger said:

Difference here is that the hotel guests will (presumably) know what they're getting into. I don't think the Disney parks with in built hotels get many complaints! 😜

8 hours ago, Ranger said:

MW really needs this hotel since it's developing into the place to go for Australian coaster fans. 

If the place had one room, and only Austrlain Coaster fans went, it still wouldn't be full most nights. Coaster fans are not important or sizeable demographic. Also the M1 is going to be the bigger issue as far as noise goes. I'd expect some pretty decent sound proofing going on.

The target market one is interesting though. Hotel V sounds like it's one of those dimly lit trendy places that is everywhere in surfers these days. It doesn't scream family hotel like say 'Movie World Resort' would. I wonder if the market is more the Top Golf/ Corperate/ sophisticated crowd while Sea World Resort stays being all about the families. The name to me seems more consistent with Gold Class Cinemas than it does a theme park holiday hotel.

My standard 'Village isn't a lifestyle brand, stop trying to make it a thing' rant aside, that's what it sounds like to me. Less family resort, more cocktail lounges. Yes resort stuff with nice pools and whatnot, but no tipping bucket if you know what I mean.

Edited by joz
  • Like 4

I hope we can see a more formal outline in the future because as much as I'm excited by this development, I also have my personal concerns.

This hotel will really need some major draws to pull me away from Surfers. As much as I love the parks, I can't justify staying out at Coomera with one of the sole reasons being the neat novelty that this will be attached to Movie World. There is just way more to do out at Surfers and I can continue my night with multiple bars, arcades, etc. in the city. Whilst MW has Top Golf, it's very expensive and too limited in capacity to carry the area's nightlife. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the restaurant precinct that they've proposed will have a couple themed rockpool dining restaurants such as the Bavarian which would definitely be fun.

Though the number one thing for me with staying on-site is convenience. If a park day finished at midnight after getting up at 6 AM to beat the crowds, then you bet I'll stay on-site to get some extra sleep, but considering the parks close so early I don't really see this having that value. Also what are the options if you want to visit Sea World? Will there be a shuttle? Can I stay at this hotel and then the next night stay at the Sea World Resort and have my bags transferred?

However it is interesting that they could swing this as being the resort to stay at when you're visiting ANY park out that way, not just VRTP properties. This will be just down the road from Dreamworld and White Water World, so it could be an enticing alternative to the legendary and coveted Coomera Inn. VRTP would effectively be making money off their competition.

Though I just can't help feel like VRTP know something we don't in all this, and I wont be surprised if this is the start of multiple announcements.

4 hours ago, OgreMagic said:

Difference here is that the hotel guests will (presumably) know what they're getting into. I don't think the Disney parks with in built hotels get many complaints! 😜

Disney hotel guests are almost entirely in the parks so there is no real problem with noise considering that those who would be complaining are the ones making the noise. The exception are those leaving the resort or just arriving from travel, but they're often hyped further by the activity of the park so it's not really a problem. 

1 hour ago, Ash said:

All I know is,  that I live within 5 minutes from movieworld and would defs stay there with my kids and family. Would be awesome for them. 

I don't mean to be rude when I say this, but why? Seems like a nifty novelty for out of towners, but unlike the themed amenities provided at other international resorts that have their niche appeals, I can't see the benefit for locals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ash said:

All I know is,  that I live within 5 minutes from movieworld and would defs stay there with my kids and family. Would be awesome for them. This is a much needed extra to the park. 

You must have a hell of a lot of expendable income. It’s not a themed resort, it’s a hotel in a carpark. You’d be in the strong minority of locals that would consider staying there 

2 hours ago, joz said:

I wonder if the market is more the Top Golf/ Corperate/ sophisticated crowd while Sea World Resort stays being all about the families.

Think this is specifically what they are targeting. MW has a massive c&e business, with events on most days and many nights each week, the hotel no doubt will be focused about keeping those multi day conferences on-site the entire time

14 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

Interesting thought - would Movieworld move to being operational at night to coincide with the hotel? 

The last time I checked, the park writes to residents within a certain range of the park to let them know they'll be operating late, and offers them tickets or something to invite them to participate where its a public event as an appeasement to local residents who would otherwise complain. I'm not sure how much is good faith and how much is required by council to permit the trade or whatnot, but I know its happened in the past. For MW to trade regularly beyond sunset, they'd probably need to enter the real estate game and buy up a lot of local housing.

As for the hotel, I am hoping this is being positioned for families rather than corporate - or perhaps offer both (they do this decently at Sea World Resort, in my opinion) as while the corporate and events space will utilise the onsite hotel for convenience (if the price is right, that is) I also see it as convenient for younger families with kids that have an early bedtime - because you can leave the park, head back to your room, bath the kids and put them to bed. 

The precinct also offers nighttime family entertainment including AOS, TopGolf and WNW movies (seasonal), so even the older kids that don't stray far from their parents can still have some 'night time' activities after the park - but still close enough to head back to your hotel room, drop your souvenirs and day bags, shower off the grime of the day and get changed into some nice dinner clothes to go out with.

I'm reading above the "its too far from the clubs and bars" and that's fine for that market, but i think families will like the northern GC positioning that provides the convenience of being on the doorstep of MW, PC, AOS, WNW, TopGolf, DW & WWW - just the theme park chains alone provide up to 4 days and at least 2 nights of solid entertainment if you do everything (and the hotel itself may offer enough entertainment to fill a couple of 'downtime' nights within the hotel area itself). 

Having done Main\broadbeach holidays and visiting the parks from there, Smith Street \ GC HWY was murder at the wrong time, and really ate into the day - spending an hour on a bus to get to all the northern parks was painful. Staying at Oxenford, even if its only for half of your week on the coast, is going to be far more convenient if you're happy to do nothing but Village\Ardent property - and theres a lot of people (not just enthusiasts) out there that would.

I can't wait to see how this all plays out.

• Like 4

Adding onto @DaptoFunlandGuy, for the people coming from Brisbane / Sunshine Coast / Brisbane Airport, it saves like 30 mintues getting to your hotel. If I'm going down the coast for a staycation I only glance at SW Resort, due to how far away it is and the number of hotels around it that I can get for a better price.

Once this new Hotel is built, it will be a serious option. Leaving work at 5pm and getting stuck in that traffic, I would love a closer hotel.

12 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

It’s not a themed resort,

How do you know though?

It could well have special themed suites, as a lot of theme park hotels do.

Hotel V.....I'm not sure if that name will will be a goer in the end, It's literally one letter below a competitor:

W Mexico City, Mexico City – Updated 2021 Prices

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 1

I think it'd be a great idea to have a hotel in Coomera. And I can kinda see why the COO said that no one could compete with us. For me as a local, it'd make going to MW for the weekend a lot more appealing if I could MW one day and WnW the next. I reckon they'll also be a lot more bookings from interstate travellers who would probably think the same.

If you think about it, they have SW and SW resort in Main Beach already. There's still the same old touristy spots you can go look at nearby or a few kilometres away, like The Spit, Broadbeach, Ripley's and Infinity to name a few. But they'll probably draw even more visitors from abroad after the Atlantis rides have opened. It'll give Sea World that needed boost which it has been missing for a few years now. 

Building and opening a hotel next to an area which has more places to go look at will be even more rewarding in the long run. You have MW, WnW, PC, Outback Spectacular and TopGolf all in a reasonable distance within one another. If you add shuttle buses or something similar in the mix as an extra charge, visitors can travel between A and B much easier. It'd also be more rewarding if you have a Locals or OnePass. 

Hopefully, it'd even give the Coomera/Oxenford region a bit of economic gain. Including DW and WWW.

If they go through with the hotel near MW, they have major bubbles in two high-traffic areas. All in all if things go very well for VR then I could see them becoming the biggest tourism operator in the GC, hell maybe even South East Queenland (although that's a stretch). It's almost Disney-like (or rather a toned down version).

There could be a lot more I can add in detail but that's just my general consensus.

• Like 1

Pre Covid, Movie World was operating events and conferences almost 5 nights a week. Having to bus conferences guests (some that book entire wings or on occasions that whole resort) from seaworld was a logistic pain in the butt. It opens up a new hotel with conference facility's to play host to multiple offsite dinners and events with out having to use non VRTP venues. So basically, they use their own facility keeping all the extra cash in house.  It was a huge market to them and with bookings now starting to come back, its a no brainier. There event team is very good at selling their venues and its sort after by cooperates 

• Like 1

I'm really keen to see how VRTP connects the hotel to the two parks, AOS, PC and TG, will they create big walkways, or go with another transport option.

As well as what other entertainment options they add. They own Intencity, could we see a mega version of that, that rivals Timezone in Surfers?!