Hotel V - Movie World hotel

Brad2912

1 hour ago, TimmyG said:

To me, it seems Dreamworld’s announcement has more meat to it than the village announcement, atleast so far. 

Has there been any formal announcement about hotel v other than the report in the GCB?

There has been no official announcement. Just @Bikash Randhawahinting at things and people discovering VRTP lodging a trademark application.

Dreamworlds has more meat because technically VRTP has no meat. Its like a vegan announcement.

16 hours ago, Original said:

They own Intencity, could we see a mega version of that, that rivals Timezone in Surfers?! 

Someone please research the Intencity installations in Sydney - in particular Parramatta and I think the other one was Hurstville or maybe Fairfield?

Chameleon, massive VR sims, legit cockpit motion base flight sims... none of this 'dodgem cars and a claw machine' business.

For families and the average tourist, I would find Dreamworld's hotel location to be much more convenient. Basically across the road from one of the largest shopping centres on the GC, with great dining and evening entertainment options, rail and bus next door. 

I really feel, whilst i will cater for all tourist types, Village's hotel will predominantly aimed at getting a large piece of the corporate market. Comparatively Dreamworlds' corporate and events sphere is much smaller, so they can go full focus on a family destination.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Original said:

I'm really keen to see how VRTP connects the hotel to the two parks, AOS, PC and TG, will they create big walkways, or go with another transport option.

As well as what other entertainment options they add. They own Intencity, could we see a mega version of that, that rivals Timezone in Surfers?! 

There is only 6 intencity stores left in Australia. They have 50 external locations including, cinemas, theme parks, airports, hotels. They used to be huge but timezone or playtime are the main arcades stores in Australia.

9 minutes ago, Rabbit2014 said:

They used to be huge but timezone or playtime are the main arcades stores in Australia.

That's my point. Don't go after the "arcade" market - be something more than just a bunch of pinball, skiball, and daytona machines with dodgem cars and laser skirmish (and bowling alleys?). Have really unique, not available at your local westfield attractions, like they did at the larger outlets - not the ripoff timezone arcades with intencity branding that still exist today.

If they were smart, they should use this as a chance to free up space in movieworld and move all (or a lot of) the admin related functions village have based at movieworld into the hotel build. Anything that specifically doesn't need to be in the park or require immediate access could be moved and remaining functions condensed into existing buildings or a new facility built. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Levithian said:

If they were smart, they should use this as a chance to free up space in movieworld and move all (or a lot of) the admin related functions village have based at movieworld into the hotel build. Anything that specifically doesn't need to be in the park or require immediate access could be moved and remaining functions condensed into existing buildings or a new facility built. 

and a multi-story car park

On 04/05/2021 at 8:59 PM, Brad2912 said:

It’s not a themed resort, it’s a hotel in a carpark.

Best quote ever!

Will need to do something great to make it a non-corporate hotel, totally agree that it will work great for events, but to capture guests who actually want to visit a theme park it will need to provide something more. 

Unfortunately I am hoping 'Hotel V' is just the trading name and the actual hotel will be named something else as for me it drums up images of the TV series 'V'

On 04/05/2021 at 6:29 PM, joz said:

'Village isn't a lifestyle brand, stop trying to make it a thing'

This is also true, on my recent visit I was always confused as some staff say welcome to Village Roadshow Theme Parks when you call them but you're standing at Movie World. Would have thought that the Movie World branding was strong enough to not be pushed aside by Village Roadshow stuff. It's like I stayed at the Sheraton which is owned by Marriott, but all the branding, towels, badges and everything say Sheraton, not the corporation that owns them. I think this is really a very big missed opportunity for them as children don't ask to go to Village Roadshow Theme Parks, they say I want to go to Movie World. But everywhere a child looks at Movie World it says Village Roadshow Theme Parks. 

I have also noticed people on here call the logo a 'rake', wonder how long until they put a rake on the entrance archway to movie world haha

• Like 4

I feel like it wouldn’t be overly difficult for VRTP to gain permission to build a cable car system from Westfield Helensvale across the motorway and along Entertainment Rd, stopping at Wet n Wild then Movieworld.

It would mean less buses, which I’m sure GCCC would be keen for to try to bring traffic down where they can. It also gives hotel guests connections to public transport and a shopping centre. 

6 minutes ago, ads086 said:

I feel like it wouldn’t be overly difficult for VRTP to gain permission to build a cable car system from Westfield Helensvale across the motorway and along Entertainment Rd, stopping at Wet n Wild then Movieworld.

HAHAHA oh you have no idea. That would actually be very difficult and would take years upon years of planning and approvals. The biggest issue would be crossing over the motorway.

7 minutes ago, ads086 said:

It would mean less buses, which I’m sure GCCC would be keen for to try to bring traffic down where they can. It also gives hotel guests connections to public transport and a shopping centre. 

I find that an odd mindset.

Buses to the parks run every 10 mins, or every half an hour in the middle of the day.

If several cars a minute are going past the parks, then what difference will taking away one bus every 10 mins make in the scheme of things really?

2 hours ago, ads086 said:

Well done for thinking outside of the square, but that concept is as logistically likely as an underground rapid transit system..

• 6 months later...

Sharing an update for this post. From Gold Coast Bulletin 2 days ago.  

Gold Coast theme parks: Giant rides, slides resorts and hotels

Surfing through an artificial wave pool in Parkwood, diving on a giant underwater attraction off the coast and kicking back in one of two theme park hotels: Welcome to the Gold Coast of 2032.

SURFING through an artificial wave pool in Parkwood, diving on a giant underwater attraction off Narrowneck and kicking back in one of two theme park hotels: Welcome to the Gold Coast of 2032.

Hundreds of millions of dollars will be spent on revitalising the city’s tourism offerings in the next decade to re-establish the Coast as the nation’s tourism capital.

By 2032, tourism bosses say the city will have recovered from the Covid pandemic and again become a favourite location for domestic and international visitors – but only if it has new, expanded and out-of-the-box attractions to act as a magnet.

3d40d807d19fb638f72eb3919559ccd9

Gold Coast City Council is already planning a significant expansion to its $5m WonderReef dive site, which will open in early 2022. Providing it is supported by the state government, Stage 2 is expected to open by the mid-late 2020s.

A few kilometres north, Parkwood Village will spend $300m to build its giant Endless Surf Wave Lagoon. It will be surrounded by an integrated resort, a series of towers, 225 residential units and a health, sports and recreation project.

The more traditional theme parks also have big plans.

bc5cf809f59b42865f538c5e78a66cb0

Dreamworld will build a $75m resort hotel at its Coomera precinct on unused land. Ardent Leisure theme parks CEO Greg Yong said planning was progressing rapidly.

“We believe that, particularly with the return of interstate and eventually international tourism, the resort project has enormous potential and will have incredible demand,” he said.

“We’re certainly planning for the resort to come to life across the next 11 years, offering the service and experience that guests know and expect from Dreamworld.

FROM OUR PARTNERS offnet.svg

Stream instantly with Foxtel Now New customers get a 10 day free trial

“We would love to offer guests travelling for the 2032 Olympics a theme park resort experience near so many event venues.”

Greg Yong Picture: Supplied

Greg Yong Picture: Supplied

Dreamworld announced the resort project to the ASX in mid-2021 and has already secured Evolution Group as its accommodation provider.

Village Roadshow is planning its own resort at Movie World and will refresh its existing rides while developing new attractions.

Village CEO Clark Kirby said his company had invested more than $240m in upgrading its three parks since 2016 and planning was underway for more in the next decade.

“We are very excited about the future of our properties and already have a number of plans in place for new attractions, but unfortunately we’re not quite in a position to announce these just yet so all I can say is watch this space,” he said.

Boston the California sea lion with Sea World CEO Clark Kirby. Picture: Jerad Williams

Boston the California sea lion with Sea World CEO Clark Kirby. Picture: Jerad Williams

“In the emerging technology space, we are seeing some incredible advancements in VR and AR around the world and I believe there is opportunity for this technology to supplement some of our existing experiences across our parks.

“I still believe the thrill of physically experiencing a rollercoaster or water slide along with the pure joy of meeting our characters or animals will continue to be the essence of our properties.”

Australia’s tallest slide tower will be built at Wet’n’Wild in the next year, while Sea World’s $50m New Atlantis precinct will finally open at Easter 2022.

From left, is three new thrill rides The Vortex (blue), the Trident (gold tall thing) and the Leviathan wooden roller coaster with world-first pair of backwards seats at rear.

From left, is three new thrill rides The Vortex (blue), the Trident (gold tall thing) and the Leviathan wooden roller coaster with world-first pair of backwards seats at rear.

Destination Gold Coast CEO Patricia O’Callaghan said renewal of the existing theme parks was critical to the future of tourism, but warned the next decade would require significant work for the city to recapture lost visitors.

“The private sector is leading the reinvigoration of products and experiences as our

theme parks invest heavily in new experiences in their parks,” she said.

“Our smaller operators are also working on smaller and more personalised experiences including the city’s natural assets.”

Patricia O'Callaghan Photo: Scott Powick

Patricia O'Callaghan Photo: Scott Powick

$50M precinct: When Sea World’s new rides will open

SEA World will finally open its $50m New Atlantis precinct in early 2022 to coincide with the expected flood of international travellers and the city’s emergence from the Covid pandemic.

The two new rides, which have been under construction for more than a year, will headline the Main Beach theme park’s push to re-establish itself as an international player.

As Sea World this weekend marks 50 years since founder Keith Williams first opened the gates, Village Roadshow revealed how it plans to celebrate its past while showcasing its future.

Park chief operating officer Bikash Randhawa said it was critical for tourism operators to provide new attractions to lure visitors back to the Gold Coast in an increasingly competitive market.

“With the opening of the Leviathan and the Trident at Easter next year it will put us in pole position to provide world-class entertainment to the domestic and international markets and beyond,” he said.

“We are going to be at the forefront of driving visitation and as we come out of a pandemic, we will probably be the only major operator which has a significant line-up of new attractions coming.

“The Gold Coast is the gateway to tourism for Queensland and these rides will be critical to bringing more people here.”

Tourism, a $6bn mecca before Covid struck, lost $1bn in the three months to September compared to the same period in 2019.

Destination Gold Coast forecast losses of $326m in September alone, down 68 per cent on pre-pandemic numbers. The sector lost more than $4bn in 2020.

Village Roadshow CEO Clark Kirby said the park was celebrating its past and future.

“Sea World is an iconic part of Australia’s tourism industry and we are excited to be able to celebrate this major milestone with a host of delegates and our long-serving team members,” he said.

“Since opening, we have seen over 50 million visitors come through the gates, employed over 30,000 team members and conducted over 10,000 marine rescues, which is something we pride ourselves on.

“One of our biggest accomplishments is becoming a global leader in marine conservation with our team conducting thousands of marine rescues of all different species over the years and playing an integral role in many marine research efforts all with the goal to better understand, protect and conserve the marine environment for generations to come.”

• 3 weeks later...

This is what Mr Kirby had to say today at the "Future Gold Coast Lunch)

Top of town gathers at Future Gold Coast lunch

A hotel with more than 500 rooms and a giant convention centre will be developed at Movie World in a bid to relieve pressure on the city’s existing facilities.

Village Roadshow CEO Clark Kirby confirmed the project, which has been in the plans for more than five years, was close to being realised.

He said the convention centre would have room for more than 1000 people and would be part of the hotel.

“There is so much to be positive about, not just for our company and the tourism industry but for the state as a whole,” he said, speaking at the Bulletin’s Future Gold Coast event.

“We are looking at our portfolio up here and have plans for a 500-600 room hotel, a convention centre on our land at Movie World and we are looking to expand our studio set-up here.

“That’s such an important shot in the arm for the local industry.

‘We are looking at more hotel capacity at Sea World.”

The hotel and convention centre will be aimed at complementing existing facilities rather than replacing them.

(Taken from the GCB)

8 hours ago, Naazon said:

Isn't a Convention Centre essentially a fitted out Sound Stage anyway?

I guess it depends on if you're talking about home show \ motor show \ comic-con style conventions, where you just want a big empty box for stall holders to set up their own products the way they want them, or the smaller style 'corporate convention' where a company gathers their top people together for some kool-aid and kum-bay-yah team building activities.

Given he's quoted as it being for 1000 people, not 10,000 people, my guess is it's the latter. 

Think of it more akin to hotel banquet halls (school formals, corporate AGMs) with associated breakout spaces and team-building areas.