Arkham asylum replacement theming??

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, ThemeParks4Life said:

I never got to ride 'Arkham Asylum' but did the Lethal Weapon quite a few times. 

I have seen on various posts there was new trains and stuff, was the ride experience that different?

Same track layout, Arkham asylum did offer a VR experience though

• Like 1

I've always thought a MadMax themed ride would be the way to go for Movieworld, stray away from the DC-Land it has become and use a different IP. Mad Max has new movies in the pipeline too. 

Honestly I don't see them going with a different Inverted/Suspended, just for the fact that it would be less marketable to the GP, a lot of people wouldn't even know the difference between an SLC and a B&M invert so I think it loses its draw a bit for the GP. I would love a nice forceful B&M invert, but I dont think it'll happen. I've often thought about a B&M Dive machine in that space but tbh I think anything B&M is wishful thinking considering their pricetag. 

My realistic guess is maybe a RMC Raptor seeing how cheap and popular they are at the moment, and ideally theme it to Mad Max, but then I wonder if Luna Park's single rail would steal the hype away from a Raptor at Movieworld. 

Second realistic guess would be a Skyrocket or Skyrocket 2 from Premier, they look pretty hot at the moment, Ice-Break looks like its gunna be a real hit. 

My dream guess is a big RMC Hybrid though ofcourse, they can't be beaten imo. 

Edited by ejpdtd
  • Like 2

Why does everyone go so low ball when looking at new rides? They've built a Hypercoaster, SW are building a nearly 1km long wooden coaster as part of a $50million expansion with two other flat rides and DW a 1.2km launched coaster a couple of years after a big indoor dark ride. 

We've never had coasters this long or big. I think the parks have proved they have the budget to go big if they want to. Let's not think so small

• Like 2

Trust is something lost in an instant, and it takes a lifetime to regain (and is never as strong as it was). 

The trust and faith I had in our parks in the mid-2000's has died and been replaced with a health dose of cynicism. I'll be very glad every time they pleasantly surprise me, but its probably a ways off yet before they've done enough to establish a new status quo.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2021 at 9:24 AM, Original said:

Why does everyone go so low ball when looking at new rides? They've built a Hypercoaster, SW are building a nearly 1km long wooden coaster as part of a $50million expansion with two other flat rides and DW a 1.2km launched coaster a couple of years after a big indoor dark ride. 

We've never had coasters this long or big. I think the parks have proved they have the budget to go big if they want to. Let's not think so small

They dont have the budget though. Its kind of a once in a life time spend to turn around a bad situation and massive decline in numbers following the dreamworld accident. 

It doesnt make any financial sense at all to spend 100 million dollars when you are 200 million in debt. But the situation required immediate action to bring people back to the parks quicker as they couldnt sustain a 5 year recovery period. The reduction in turnover and cash flow was worse for business than taking on a massive amount of debt. So they took the lesser of two evils. 

Have to remember, pre covid, village were only talking combined attendance numbers across all their parks of under 6 million. You realise how small those numbers are when you remember that a great deal of northern hemisphere parks are seasonal too and achieve their attendance figures while being closed through winter.

Compare them to something like the six flags group who normally see over 26 million a year total attendance. Vastly different operating budgets even when you account for different admission prices. 

Edited by Levithian
  • Like 2

Matrix, Mad Max, Animal Logic as a whole (Australian based CGI/animation company, famous for Lego, Legend of the Guardians, Happy Feet), Where the Wild things are, Narnia, San Andreas, Kong V Godzilla (dueling coaster anyone?)

Aside from that you could theme to a genre, for example a horror themed area with attractions to House of Wax, The Reaping, or sci-fi movies like Interstella, Contact, Ready Player one, Gravity, or Australian movies like Crocodile Dundee, Red Dog (there's a good animal show in both of these), or do something completely left feild like Sherlock. Also if you could get rights to Tolkien stuff you could do something really special.

Of course if you didn't want to do that you could just put a gyro swing in and call it Wonder Woman.

Quick Edit to add; you could do Mad Max as an AA replacement, personally I think when you give up on Doomsday completely in a couple years, put a new flat ride there and turn Villans land into a Mad Max mini land instead.

Edited by joz
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lukevl said:

I think if they went more 'young tween' they could do Teen Titans, its more relevant to tweens than say Madagascar at Dreamworld.

if that did happen it very likely be themed to teen titans go since that's a more recognizable show for todays tween's then the original. it would be hated but no tween is going to know the original teen titans but they would know teen titans go.

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

It's a real shame. The doomsday \ Villains unleashed is probably one of the best themed areas of the park (except for the fact that the ride bridge is facing the wrong way), just a shame the ride model choice was so poor.

I couldn't agree more. It's a real contradiction - it's easily one of if not the most beautifully themed places in the park and yet what's there is really lacklustre at best. The Kinects/screens have aged horribly (not to mention being incredibly unintuitive to buy/use) and the hero-ride of the area is an over-engineered pirate ship.

Edited by Slick
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Slick said:

I couldn't agree more. It's a real contradiction - it's easily one of if not the most beautifully themed places in the park and yet what's there is really lacklustre at best. The Kinects/screens have aged horribly (not to mention being incredibly unintuitive to buy/use) and the hero-ride of the area is an over-engineered pirate ship.

What ride would you put in there that keeps to a similar footprint and keeping the targeted age / thrill level?

46 minutes ago, Naazon said:

What ride would you put in there that keeps to a similar footprint and keeping the targeted age / thrill level?

Ahh great question - the original brief was:

1. Filler flat thrill ride to increase quantity of rides/experiences throughout the guest's day
  2. Something different to neighbouring parks
  3. Good capacity to keep up with the rest of the park's demand
  4. Compact

Back then when Doomsday opened, the Mavericks/WB Exhibit building was (and is) still a big question mark sitting in the middle of the park. I'd address that building and its use in advance and plan accordingly.

If the space will serve as the entrance to a wild west themed dark ride that's housed inside that building as well as a flat ride, than a Zamperla Super Air Race  fits the bill perfectly. It's compact, good capacity, a thrilling flat ride and it's got a competitive advantage over Pandamonium in that the central mast moves up and down. Given the space is land-locked by two show buildings there'll be a real sense of speed when those things whip around inside the space.

If the entrance to the Mavericks/WB Exhibit dark ride is going over to Arkham's side, then you have more room to play, and I think more room to go balls deep with something folks have never seen before. Let's be honest, mostly everything has been done, seen and installed at this point so you want to capture folk's imagination like Wipeout did back in the 90's. Therefore, i'd risk it for the biscuit and go to Mondial to build either an Airstrike or an Avalanche. My money's on the Avalanche though, high capacity, completely batshit insane and unlike anything really anywhere else in the world, and is visually mental enough that word of mouth would be the marketing campaign, much like Rivals.

Edited by Slick
  • Like 3

• Richard changed the title to Arkham asylum replacement theming??
  • Richard locked this topic