Arkham asylum replacement theming??

When do we think we'll see the completion of this section? (or even the commencement haha).

From what's been said here, it's safe to assume planning has been in place for possibly a couple of years now (obviously even longer when you include pre-planning for closing down AA possibly a up to a year or 2 before that). But for main planning, if it was at a stage where it was even allowed to be discussed at Town Hall in May 21, knowing a public leak could happen. Surely as we get closer to 12 months on from that meeting, we must be close to seeing some real action in that area and possibly even an announcement of some sort, right?

I know COVID has probably significantly delayed things. But surely you'd have to think they're not far away from getting the ball rolling? Am I realistic in expecting an announcement in the coming months with a "July 2023" (School holidays)ETA, that will ultimately be delayed like SW Atlantis and revised to Summer school holidays 2023? Or are we not hearing a thing until SW is 110% finished?

Edited by Joshaaye

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the most realistic bet is Easter to Late 2024. No way are they going to turn around three roller coasters in 12 months with demolition, land clearing, construction and theming. New Atlantis in perfect conditions was expected to take 18 months for one roller coaster and 2 flat rides and the world is still far from perfect. 

Sadly we won’t hear anything until New Atlantis is finished or Dreamworld announces something big in the next couple of months. They knew the risk with announcing it to staff, but we wont get a solid announcement until the time is right for the business. Don’t even be surprised if we see work underway before an official announcement either like DC Rivals.

14 hours ago, rappa said:

I saw Artist Impressions of New Atlantis

I saw Artist Impressions of Steel Taipan

I saw Artist Impressions of Storm Coaster

image.thumb.jpeg.3667747b22fd1fcad89a963a077a6644.jpeg

• Like 2

I don’t think we’ll see an announcement until mid year at the earliest. Demolition will begin early to mid this year. There is a possibility they could open next summer. These smaller scale coasters go up pretty quick. Just take LPS coasters as an example, the track for the smaller coasters was up within weeks 

Edited by themagician

4 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

When you're buying custom coasters designed to fit the specific spot you're going to put it, sure.

When you're buying off the shelf models and making them fit, no.

In that case it would be impossible to use the existing station with either the standard SFC or the standard dueling boomerangs, because the station is in the middle of the layout, so youd be hacking the building up to fit the surrounding turns and also clashing with studio admin, superman etc.

In the family suspended layout I do love how the track dives underground, I’ve always wanted a coaster on the GC to do that (I know ST sort of does, but not entirely). I do hope one of the parks gets a dive coaster one day (I think DW would be a good choice because it could be too similar to GL if MW got it). But the one coaster I dream our parks will get one day is a flying coaster. The one at Universal Japan is still my favourite coaster ever and would love to be able to continuously experience something like that in Aus. In saying all that, I think some family attractions are needed most at MW and I think 3 coasters are a nice choice for that. 

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

21 minutes ago, themagician said:

But the one coaster I dream our parks will get one day is a flying coaster.

A next gen Vekoma Flying Coaster (see F.L.Y. @ Phantasialand) would have been a slam dunk replacement for Lethal/Arkham. 1) It's a step up/evolution of what it's replacing. 2) Very unique and easy to market to the GP; would easily capture people's attention/imagination. 3) Fills the multi-looper thrill coaster gap in MWs coaster line-up. 4) Ride system suits a Batman theme; so VRTP can keep milking that DC license and triple their bat cape sales.

• Like 4
  • Love it! 1

Based off of this review, the ride sounds like a pretty decent family coaster with some intense moments, with the most intense moment reaching up to +4G’s (the nearly inverting turn after the drop into tunnel). Imo sounds like the ride will definitely be a stepping stone coaster with it being bigger and more intense then Road Runner but not Scooby. The ride also has a very short height requirement of 100cm which will be great for families.

• Like 1

With the Vekoma Family Racing Boomerang, i hope it is a custom layout cause this one looks kinda average, just doesn't look like it does much and it would be nice to see it be a custom design as the Suspended Coaster is supposedly a clone. with this layout i’d say it’s a probably a step above road runner but the second mildest coaster in the park.

I feel like if you’re a young kid that boomerang is going to be a HELL of a lot more thrilling than Roadrunner. And if you’re not it’ll still be fun enough. 

As for the suspended, could it be as enjoyable as Jet Rescue? If it could then I say it’s a winner. 
But FWIW if there was a way to throw an actual inversion in the suspended family coaster I think that would be fantastic. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rappa said:

But FWIW if there was a way to throw an actual inversion in the suspended family coaster I think that would be fantastic. 

the turn after the drop kind of looks like it is a couple degrees off of becoming an inversion, so they could just steepen it a bit more and they have an inversion added into the layout 

3 hours ago, Rivals said:

the turn after the drop kind of looks like it is a couple degrees off of becoming an inversion, so they could just steepen it a bit more and they have an inversion added into the layout 

Well yeah I agree that almost counts. 
But imagine throwing a roll or something elsewhere in the layout? An opportunity for ‘my first inversion’ would be a huge hit for families. And really that’s what you want to be targeting, and if it’s fun also for adults then great. 
And I say this as a 38 year old with no kids. 

On 7/1/22 at 2:12 PM, Luke said:

A next gen Vekoma Flying Coaster (see F.L.Y. @ Phantasialand) would have been a slam dunk replacement for Lethal/Arkham. 1) It's a step up/evolution of what it's replacing. 2) Very unique and easy to market to the GP; would easily capture people's attention/imagination. 3) Fills the multi-looper thrill coaster gap in MWs coaster line-up. 4) Ride system suits a Batman theme; so VRTP can keep milking that DC license and triple their bat cape sales.

I was totally content with imagining three family coasters replacing Arkham, but then this post reminded me of what an amazing attraction this would have been :( 

On 7/1/22 at 2:24 PM, Gazza said:

Also, FLY has that sideways dark ride section before you rotate into the flying position, which could have been a powering up sequence coming out of the Batcave.

Would have been mad.

Oh god no, this would have been AMAZING. I can’t think of anything better than this for MW. If not for Arkham, then the future at least!

1 hour ago, rappa said:

But imagine throwing a roll or something elsewhere in the layout? An opportunity for ‘my first inversion’ would be a huge hit for families. And really that’s what you want to be targeting, and if it’s fun also for adults then great. 

looking at the standard SFC layout, they really only have 2 options if they wanted to throw in a proper inversion (possibly a third if they replace the final stretch with one)

option 1 (green): they could make the ride go up into a roll (think of same shaping as pantheons first inversion) then drop off into the first helix 

or

option 2 (yellow): after the first helix they could have the ride do a roll through the station building then turn out into the second helix

personally, adding an inversion would be a great change as it would give children more confidence that they can go onto the bigger rides once they are tall enough and would add a fun feature for adults

096D5EE7-C190-4A83-B953-53E3CCF9C911.jpeg

Edited by Rivals

Since a couple of people have hinted (or downright said) that the three coasters are going to be off the shelf and non custom I'd love for all of them to be completely indoor coasters. I know there's already Scooby Doo, but I think an entirely indoor, themed precinct would be pretty amazing (and helpful on rainy/hot days). Plus I don't know if there's another example of an indoor suspended coaster so it could be a 'world's first' to add to the advertisements.

If this 3x Vekoma off-the-shelf family coaster stunner deal is correct, it'll be interesting to see how they attempt to theme them. VRTP can't even theme 1 ride well these days. How will they ever theme 3 new coasters all at once? My guess is we'll see nicely presented shed-like stations, similar to Green Lantern or Rivals, with 2.5D cutouts of characters and flat graphic prints on the station roof/walls. I wonder if they'll create a new themed land precinct for the coasters?

• Like 1

Now, with their latest coaster yet to even open yet we’ve decided not only they can’t theme a ride, buy also the 3 unannounced coasters will also be poorly themed. 

Let’s just cross our fingers they can spring for some Shade Sails, Stenciled Concrete and Gravel so the end result can be stunning. 

• Richard changed the title to Arkham asylum replacement theming??
  • Richard locked this topic