Rocky Hollow Log Ride Demolition - Dreamworld

WHY WHY WHY!

God just saw the cardboard and tape WWW effort before this. 
Like honestly, the CEO of Dreamworld has visited a lot of first rate parks in the world and knows what decent standards are. 
Why is soulless garbage like this going INTO the park instead of coming out. 

So damn sad!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think we've had anything official from the park to state that, but it is my guess, and I think a lot of others too - it's not a massive area for park crowds, and there's no other draw here. its quiet, and picturesque - definitely a place for reflection and the like - its so very outside of everything else at Dreamworld its about the only thing it could be.

25th October this year is the 5 year anniversary, so the timing for this (it looks practically complete minus a few benches around the garden) seems right too. A small memorial and dedication of the area seems fitting before they launch the brand new thrill ride on the old site too...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Should Dreamworld consider installing a water ride within the Log Ride footprint:

A Mack PowerSplash would be nice to see (as someone said before), but unless Dreamworld don't feel like paying a premium for another Mack installation, Intamin have released their updated and upgraded Surf coaster family.

I'm thinking the Ultra Surf would fit nicely (knock-off PowerSplash) too.

Both models can hold a total of 20 passengers, however the Ultra Surf has the same spinning seats you'd see on the surf coaster at WnW. It appears the seats are free spinning also.

https://www.intamin.com/product/ultra-surf/

Edited by Im Hungry

I'd rather have a custom family thrill water ride than a thrilling water coaster to be honest. Yes Dreamworld is lacking in thrill attractions but they are also lacking in family thrill attractions. A custom log flume will also give Dreamworld the chance to expand it's snake themed area and draw more families towards that area too. Dreamworld's main theme is Australia and there are many places to theme a log flume to in Australia. I would see a Ultra Surf better fitted in Ocean Parade rather then Rocky Hollow.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, gavinfulikes said:

I'd rather have a custom family thrill water ride than a thrilling water coaster to be honest. Yes Dreamworld is lacking in thrill attractions but they are also lacking in family thrill attractions. A custom log flume will also give Dreamworld the chance to expand it's snake themed area and draw more families towards that area too. Dreamworld's main theme is Australia and there are many places to theme a log flume to in Australia. I would see a Ultra Surf better fitted in Ocean Parade rather then Rocky Hollow.

A hot take here but there is no reason to add a log flume when WWW exists as a second gate literally next door that is covered in the price of admission. There's a reason there's been a trend towards parks getting rid of them in recent years.

It would make more sense to put in a dark ride or a family thrill coaster (such as a spinner) if you want to put a family ride in (which I agree DW needs to look to next). Both would be better (and far more unique) additions.

Edited by Baconjack

To transition from DW to WWW isn’t as simple as just walking over there and going on a couple water slides. You need to bring swimmers, get changed, slide, dry off, get changed again and go back to DW. Unless you go to DW in your swimmers! A theme park needs a water attraction. Every major park in the world that I can think of has a water ride. MW does. SW had 3 (Storm, Vikings and Battle Boats). DW had 2. And they were the most popular rides in the park.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, themagician said:

To transition from DW to WWW isn’t as simple as just walking over there and going on a couple water slides. You need to bring swimmers, get changed, slide, dry off, get changed again and go back to DW. Unless you go to DW in your swimmers! A theme park needs a water attraction. Every major park in the world that I can think of has a water ride. MW does. SW had 3 (Storm, Vikings and Battle Boats). DW had 2. And they were the most popular rides in the park.

Especially in QLD's tropical climate 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, New display name said:

What is that reason?

Because water parks exist, most of the time being a second gate. Who will want to go on a log flume when there's heaps of water slides right next door? It just becomes a redundant attraction, especially Rocky Hollow in its last years with the roofs. Most people going to DW will likely end up doing stuff at WWW anyway, especially in summer which is where the crowds are, and especially now that WWW is on the same ticket. Sky Voyager does a superior job at keeping guests cool, and a well air conditioned dark ride does a better job as well! 

The likes of Vikings and WWF work when they are the only water attractions in their parks without anything next door, and Rapids/Rocky Hollow did in their time as well but you can't say the same thing about DW anymore.

1 hour ago, themagician said:

To transition from DW to WWW isn’t as simple as just walking over there and going on a couple water slides. You need to bring swimmers, get changed, slide, dry off, get changed again and go back to DW. Unless you go to DW in your swimmers!

I get it's probably not the same at DW, but my numerous visits to Adventure World highlight a very unique culture of people going on rides like Abyss, Rampage or Black Widow in nothing but drying board shorts and thongs, then go straight to a water slide or the big pool after that. I do think this is a decent model for them to follow.

Edited by Baconjack

1 hour ago, Baconjack said:

Because water parks exist, most of the time being a second gate. Who will want to go on a log flume when there's heaps of water slides right next door? It just becomes a redundant attraction, especially Rocky Hollow in its last years with the roofs. Most people going to DW will likely end up doing stuff at WWW anyway, especially in summer which is where the crowds are, and especially now that WWW is on the same ticket. Sky Voyager does a superior job at keeping guests cool, and a well air conditioned dark ride does a better job as well! 

The likes of Vikings and WWF work when they are the only water attractions in their parks without anything next door, and Rapids/Rocky Hollow did in their time as well but you can't say the same thing about DW anymore.

Bruh DW and SW had water parks for most of their history in parallel with the log rides.

Heck even SW the old slides were on the same castle as the flume ride.

Not everyone wants to muck around getting into swimmers, sometimes its just fun to ride in boat. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Baconjack said:

Most people going to DW will likely end up doing stuff at WWW anyway

I just broke my controller pressing X to doubt.

Even as someone who literally lives in boardshorts and has an annual pass, i feel no compulsion to go next door. I line up for an hour, hit the bottom in seconds, dry off lining up, rinse and repeat. IMHO theres only 1 reason worth going there for and its only theming is coloured tubes and angry eyes on a shade cloth. Water rides in dry parks should have 2 objectives- cool you off in some degree and break up your day. anything past that is a bonus and normally a drawcard. I'd love to see WWF at DW, it would tick the 2 boxes and more, on the other hand that ride style shouldnt go into a waterpark for obvious reasons. Are you also saying WWF should close cause WnW is a carpark away? In summer the parks lines are going to blow out, more so with any social distancing requirements that remain post Dec 17. A water ride in that park is nessecary cause people are going to be in lines all day and you need something to cool off and break up the day, especially when your only indoor attraction now is only 10 mins tops of 22°C air. Hardly enough to cool down in for those from the south.

• Like 1

Just to beat the dead horse further, for large part of its history DW had a water park not just next door, but literally included as part of the park, 2 water rides where you got wet, as well as a boat ride where you stayed dry. Water rides are popular. I don't think DW should build a rapids ride, but a quality modern log ride or shoot the chutes would be a pretty easy win.

• Like 4
  • Love it! 1

15 hours ago, Baconjack said:

I get it's probably not the same at DW, but my numerous visits to Adventure World highlight a very unique culture of people going on rides like Abyss, Rampage or Black Widow in nothing but drying board shorts and thongs, then go straight to a water slide or the big pool after that. I do think this is a decent model for them to follow.

And to continue the equine abuse - WhiteWaterWorld opened in 2006 - yet Thunder River was super popular right up until the day of the incident - so popular that the park was making decisions to keep the ride operating when they perhaps shouldn't.

Log ride likewise had high patronage right up until the bondage roofing was installed.

The difference between DW and AW (that I can tell) is that one is a theme park, and one is an 'action park' hybrid - the waterslides and pools are intermingled amongst the other attractions to a point where the park has to accept that wet shorts are going to ride the rollercoaster because to ask patrons to get changed first would just be plain stupid.

Nobody wants to walk around a dry park like Dreamworld in the South East Queensland humidity in damp (and rapidly warming) swimwear. I don't know about the weather over in Perth, but here in SEQ, that's a sure-fire pathway to Swamp-Crotch.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Because water parks exist, most of the time being a second gate. Who will want to go on a log flume when there's heaps of water slides right next door?

Same reason for going to Movie World and riding Wild West over going to Wet'n'Wild. You only go to a water park if you want to ride slides. Water rides are a staple at a theme park for a reason.

18 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Who will want to go on a log flume when there's heaps of water slides right next door?

So at the peak of summer on a 35+ degree day with high humidity, you don't see the appeal of having a water ride to give you a cool, refreshing splash along with a little thrill in between rides on the northern side of the park like Steel Taipan or Giant Drop, and would rather walk the whole way across Dreamworld, change your clothes (or at least dry yourself off again later) and line up for a waterslide?

• 3 months later...