Steel Taipan rises over Log Ride rubble at Dreamworld

2 minutes ago, Smol bean said:

Australian loves milking that story to death don't they

You're not wrong.

I saw a tiktok with some drone footage of ST on the weekend, and the comments were just full of everyone spreading frankly wrong information about the accident.

They don't know what actually happened, they just know it happened, and don't appear to want to give Dreamworld another chance.

1 hour ago, themagician said:

Why do the media want to destroy the industry. They are part of the reason the parks have gone through the struggle period. Assholes.

opportunity for another article => another article for people to read => another article for people to see ads on => more ads being seen and/or clicked on => more money for the media

The media don't care about their consequences, they don't care what/who they ruin, they don't care how truthful the information they are sharing is, the only thing they care about is making money. Any way that they might be able to make even a slight profit, they will take and they will milk - Exhibit A: relating anything remotely to do with theme parks or the Gold Coast back to TRRR.

Of course, I'm not saying every news outlet is out to get whoever they can in an effort to make money, but sadly, far too many are - because there should be 0.

You may also be a little too close to the subject to comment fairly, being loving theme parks, so anytime anything negative is mentioned = media are bad. 

To be devils advocate here for a moment. 

Let's just remember MW had a very close call with GL, that was the fault of the manufacturer, not the park.

Plus let's just be very clear DW were negligent for years and resulted in someone being killed. That's not a media beat up, that's a fact. When people talk about parks they still mention DW to this day and some are too scared to go still, and even if articles weren't still mentioning it, it would still be in the back of people's minds and will be for a very long time. 

And what the TRRR inquest showed us was this incident had happened before, but no one had been killed. Now how many other close calls have rides had that we just don't know about because thankfully no one was injured?

Disney parks have killed people, Cedar Fair parks have killed people, so have Six Flags parks, Luna Park has had people die, people have died at fairs/shows in Australia and thanks to the internet we know about even more accidents where third world countries safety standards are a lot more relaxed. We can even watch them on YouTube as people film these accidents. 

I'm not saying this won't be bad publicity for the parks, I'm also not saying it will be entirely factual. I'll hold judgement until I watch it. But people go to these parks expecting to come home safely and some people haven't, therefore that makes this a human interest story, that frankly I'm surprised has taken this long to be developed. 

As soon as there is an accident where the general public wouldn't expect there to be one, that shocks them, and we find out safety standards were lax, 60 Minutes or Sunday Night always run a story on it. Now Sunday Night doesn't exist anymore, instead replaced by 7NEWS Spotlight covering one topic each week, so there will be an entire hour dedicated to it, so hopefully they can go in depth to how safe these rides can be, not just the dangers. The promo also appears to interview staff from Cedar Fair. 

This is the blurb from 7:

In an hour of television your family will remember watching together forever, Spotlight goes behind the screams to reveal the tightly held secrets of the global billion dollar theme park industry. Featuring never before seen vision and interviews, Spotlight takes viewers on a wild roller coaster ride across Australia and the United States through tales of innovation, survival, tragedy and triumph to bring you the most fun you will have sitting down this year.

Anyway, that was completely off topic from the DW update, which was great btw. 

Edited by Original
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Original said:

You may also be a little too close to the subject to comment fairly, being loving theme parks, so anytime anything negative is mentioned = media are bad. 

To be devils advocate here for a moment. 

Let's just remember MW had a very close call with GL, that was the fault of the manufacturer, not the park.

Plus let's just be very clear DW were negligent for years and resulted in someone being killed. That's not a media beat up, that's a fact. When people talk about parks they still mention DW to this day and some are too scared to go still, and even if articles weren't still mentioning it, it would still be in the back of people's minds and will be for a very long time. 

And what the TRRR inquest showed us was this incident had happened before, but no one had been killed. Now how many other close calls have rides had that we just don't know about because thankfully no one was injured?

Disney parks have killed people, Cedar Fair parks have killed people, so have Six Flags parks, Luna Park has had people die, people have died at fairs/shows in Australia and thanks to the internet we know about even more accidents where third world countries safety standards are a lot more relaxed. We can even watch them on YouTube as people film these accidents. 

I'm not saying this won't be bad publicity for the parks, I'm also not saying it will be entirely factual. I'll hold judgement until I watch it. But people go to these parks expecting to come home safely and some people haven't, therefore that makes this a human interest story, that frankly I'm surprised has taken this long to be developed. 

As soon as there is an accident where the general public wouldn't expect there to be one, that shocks them, and we find out safety standards were lax, 60 Minutes or Sunday Night always run a story on it. Now Sunday Night doesn't exist anymore, instead replaced by 7NEWS Spotlight covering one topic each week, so there will be an entire hour dedicated to it, so hopefully they can go in depth to how safe these rides can be, not just the dangers. The promo also appears to interview staff from Cedar Fair. 

This is the blurb from 7:

In an hour of television your family will remember watching together forever, Spotlight goes behind the screams to reveal the tightly held secrets of the global billion dollar theme park industry. Featuring never before seen vision and interviews, Spotlight takes viewers on a wild roller coaster ride across Australia and the United States through tales of innovation, survival, tragedy and triumph to bring you the most fun you will have sitting down this year.

Anyway, that was completely off topic from the DW update, which was great btw. 

Completely agree with this.

Just wanted to add in context of my rant (haha), that my comment was referring to the media in general, not exclusively in reference to theme parks. That was my bad, I should have made that very clear but somehow forgot to write it.

8 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

In today's world, it is a very important distinction to note that "Media" =\= "Journalism"

Could you please explain the difference to me? As far as I understood it, the media was any source that communicated "information", and journalism was a form of that ie. journalism is a branch of media as a whole.

Very happy for anything I have said to be shown as wrong - if I am saying something incorrectly I would much prefer be told how and why, and then be able to use the right words next time.

11 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

In today's world, it is a very important distinction to note that "Media" =\= "Journalism"

Media: 4 killed at Thunder river rapids, Dreamworld are now reportedly breaking into people homes and wrecking up the place.
Journalist: the fire at Luna park was a tragedy but we are looking for answers to right this wrong 

Edited by Jdude95
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Original said:

I may be, but i'm not.

I sat in the court room as the coroner delivered his findings for TRRR. I'm not oblivious, i'm not fooling myself, and i'm not an idiot.

The facts are that you're still more likely to die on the way to the park than inside the park itself. That doesn't give any park operator a free pass to be lax on standards. I think its appalling that Dreamworld was so arrogant as to their maintenance that they suggested to the state gov they didn't need external government oversight because they were so good at it... before killing people.

Yeah, ok, it's human interest, people go to theme parks so its a topic that people will have an interest in - BUT - the inclusion of fully six (I saw the promo on it too) is a bit rough - that case is unsettled. There's no doubt the injuries occurred but there are no outcomes yet as to liability. 

By all means do a story of what goes on behind, and by all means be truthful - but show the whole truth that includes the rigorous processes parks go through every day, AND the tightened government regulation they are now subjected to forcing them to close rides for longer and longer, and use the facts such as that mentioned above - that you are more likely to die on the way to a park than in it.

Try this for sensationalism...

13 hours ago, Original said:

That blurb is a rollercoaster in and of itself:

• Remember watching together forever - suggesting that this is something so groundbreaking it will be etched into your memory forever
  • Tightly held secrets - suggesting something to hide (which by the way i'm sure is almost common knowledge for many enthusiasts, so probably not that tightly held)
  • Global billion dollar....industry. Want to make something seem bad? Tell people how much money the industry makes. You know whats more ominous than the global billion dollar theme park industry? the global trillion dollar milk industry.
  • Never before seen vision - this implies that it has been hidden away, lost or otherwise kept secret - instead of - you know - recorded specifically for this special such as interviews to get soundbytes.
  • It then caps off with 'most fun you will have'... this year. Secrets, Hidden, Forever, BIllion Dollars. Most Fun.
8 hours ago, -nick.white.1543 said:

Could you please explain the difference to me?

Let's start with the dictionary -

Media - the main means of mass communication (broadcasting, publishing, and the internet) regarded collectively.

Wiki offers this on Media:

Media are the communication outlets or tools used to store and deliver information or data. The term refers to components of the mass media communications industry, such as print media, publishing, the news media, photography, cinema, broadcasting (radio and television), digital media, and advertising

Journalism - the activity or profession of writing for newspapers, magazines, or news websites or preparing news to be broadcast.

Wiki also offers this on Journalism:

Journalism is the production and distribution of reports on current events based on facts and supported with proof or evidence. The word journalism applies to the occupation, as well as citizen journalists who gather and publish information based on facts and supported with proof or evidence

This post has gone on for long enough so i'll try to be brief in conclusion:

Note that the Wiki on Media lists 'news media' as just one element or component of the overall. The journalism wiki on the other hand is specific to being based on facts and supported with proof or evidence. 

What happens though, is that genuine journalists write articles that are based on facts, and supported with evidence, but in order to promote the story, and profit from it, the media hypes it with sensationalist turns of phrase, headlines and gotcha type promos in order to entice the public to want to watch\read\listen to it.

Journalists work IN media, but Media =\= Journalism.

ETA: I'm conscious i've made assumptions here that this story is negatively slanted. The promo certainly suggests it. But I do recognise (and the promo 'the most fun you've had' also suggests) that the story isn't entirely doom and gloom. That they've gone to Cedar to ask questions means there is likely a lot of factual based reporting here, and it's highly likely that we're all complaining about a story before we've even seen it.

With that said though - there's a reason many of us write these stories off before seeing it - and its because too many times they don't portray the entire situation fairly - i am however happy for this story to prove me wrong.

• Like 5

Again this is my point of being too close to the story. Someone was negligent at a place that attracts millions of people and people don't think of dying by going to a fun place. It is 100% a human interest story, that will attract eyeballs, hence why it is being made. 

If you didn't want a story made highlighting errors in a particular industry, but also understanding where we're also headed then shows like this, 60 Minutes and 7.30 and Four Corners wouldn't exist and they are 100% needed.  

I just hope they also show how much effort goes into making a ride and to keep it safe. There is nothing in the description to say its a hatchet job. Just that these rides are designed to scare while supposed to be safe, we know that, the general public don't. 

I think there are a lot of people jumping to conclusions before having even watched this.

5 minutes ago, Original said:

Again this is my point of being too close to the story. Someone was negligent at a place that attracts millions of people and people don't think of dying by going to a fun place. It is 100% a human interest story, that will attract eyeballs, hence why it is being made. 

I hope you don't work. 3,751 workers were fatally injured while working from 2003 to 2018. Working kills. Millions of people go to work expecting to make money and be bored out of their brains, not lose their brains.

Your argument can be made about anything.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Original said:

And yeah if its a serious accident or an industry where people are constantly dying, or an industry where people don't expect people to be killed, chances are at some point there will be a feature on it whether that be on TV or written article. 

People are not constantly dying at theme parks however, nor is there constantly serious accidents. There has been one major well publicised (TRRR) and one not particularly well known (GL) "accident" this century.

More people have been killed by dogs in the last 3 years than have died in Australian theme parks in the past 30.

It's a fluff/hype piece timed inextricably just before school holidays when theme parks are their busiest. The producers clearly couldnt find enough material to base it purely on Australia (plus no one wants to hear anything else about bloody TRRR), so they've gone international where safety standards and requirements differ to what we have here - but the average consumer probably does not know that, so it becomes a "if it happened over there, it can happen here" thing. 

They'll probably show the phone-filmed footage of that pendulum ride collapsing in India a couple years back, and fade it out to show The Claw..... just so it grabs attention

Edited by Brad2912
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

People are not constantly dying at theme parks however, nor are their constantly serious accidents. There has been one major well publicised (TRRR) and one not particularly well known (GL) "accident" this century.

More people have been killed by dogs in the last 3 years than have died in Australian theme parks in the past 30.

It's a fluff/hype piece timed inextricably just before school holidays when theme parks are their busiest. The producers clearly couldnt find enough material to base it purely on Australia (plus no one wants to hear anything else about bloody TRRR), so they've gone international where safety standards and requirements differ to what we have here - but the average consumer probably does know that, so it becomes a "if it happened over there, it can happen here" thing. 

They'll probably show the phone-filmed footage of that pendulum ride collapsing in India a couple years back, and fade it out to show The Claw..... just so it grabs attention

It'll be clear what the intent is if they even bother to reach out to the parks directly I reckon. My bet is on them stealing footage from a bunch of enthusiasts, showing plenty of footage from the TRRR coronial inquest, referencing Luna Park's Ghost Train incident (with at best a passing reference to the ABC's doco) and then maybe getting in one or two industry hacks and interviewing them to get the soundbites they need. Hell, it's almost worthy of a bingo card.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Slick said:

It'll be clear what the intent is if they even bother to reach out to the parks directly I reckon. My bet is on them stealing footage from a bunch of enthusiasts, showing plenty of footage from the TRRR coronial inquest, referencing Luna Park's Ghost Train incident (with at best a passing reference to the ABC's doco) and then maybe getting in one or two industry hacks and interviewing them to get the soundbites they need. Hell, it's almost worthy of a bingo card.

though i make you a bingo card make sure to use it.

results.png

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Naazon said:

I hope you don't work. 3,751 workers were fatally injured while working from 2003 to 2018. Working kills. Millions of people go to work expecting to make money and be bored out of their brains, not lose their brains.

Your argument can be made about anything.

This is why i stopped working... and driving a car... or leaving the house. I don't wanna die, ever!