Steel Taipan rises over Log Ride rubble at Dreamworld

4 hours ago, Slick said:

It'll be clear what the intent is if they even bother to reach out to the parks directly I reckon. My bet is on them stealing footage from a bunch of enthusiasts, showing plenty of footage from the TRRR coronial inquest, referencing Luna Park's Ghost Train incident (with at best a passing reference to the ABC's doco) and then maybe getting in one or two industry hacks and interviewing them to get the soundbites they need. Hell, it's almost worthy of a bingo card.

Probably safer to go Bingo Card on this one instead of Drinking Game.

18 hours ago, Slick said:

Hell, it's almost worthy of a bingo card.

image.jpeg.06ed9bc643ed981ef482bed6023d3ecc.jpeg

17 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

probably would have been better off spending the time working on your grammar and spelling....

I've gotten sick of trying. 

15 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

What if a plane falls out of the sky and lands on your house? 

THIS WEEK, ON AIR CRASH INVESTIGATION SECONDS FROM DISASTER

15 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

That's it! I'm digging a hole! 

It puts the lotion on...

On 03/06/2021 at 1:44 PM, Brad2912 said:

People are not constantly dying at theme parks however, nor is there constantly serious accidents. There has been one major well publicised (TRRR) and one not particularly well known (GL) "accident" this century.

More people have been killed by dogs in the last 3 years than have died in Australian theme parks in the past 30.

It's a fluff/hype piece timed inextricably just before school holidays when theme parks are their busiest. The producers clearly couldnt find enough material to base it purely on Australia (plus no one wants to hear anything else about bloody TRRR), so they've gone international where safety standards and requirements differ to what we have here - but the average consumer probably does not know that, so it becomes a "if it happened over there, it can happen here" thing. 

They'll probably show the phone-filmed footage of that pendulum ride collapsing in India a couple years back, and fade it out to show The Claw..... just so it grabs attention

Wow you guys think way too far into the media and their motives behind everything. No one in programming at Seven went "hey, school holidays are around the corner, I know what will really screw up the parks business!!!" It just doesn't happen, trust me. 

Also Green Lantern and TRRR aren't our only two examples here. Someone fell out of the Log Ride, whether they were dumb or not, it happened. A girl in 2014 died at the Adelaide show. WWF caught fire just after the park closed in  2003. Last year a woman was critical after falling from The Hangover in Cairns. In 2000 two cars collided on the Wild Mouse at the Royal Melbourne Show, with 8 children injured and 5 going to hospital. Also in 2000 the Spin Dragon ride collapsed injuring 37 people. And how many close calls have there been we don't know about? That's more than 2 in the last century and I wouldn't be putting GL in quotations, that was an accident and by sheer luck no one was injured or killed. What else do you call the wheel assembly of a car falling off?

And yeah, why wouldn't they use footage and stories from incidents overseas, we have the internet now, anyone can watch them and they have been viewed millions of times. I just hope the show then points out the rigorous maintenance our rides go through.

But then again we all sat there and said that pre 2016 when seeing and hearing about accidents overseas like with Smiler at Alton Towers or the deaths at Disney Parks, or the dodgy rides in India and said "that wouldn't happen here, our standards are better, we're safer". Then TRRR happened and we found out what DW had been up to at the inquest. 

People know they could die in a car, but ask anyone outside of enthusiasts, especially those with families and they'll tell you they always went on TRRR and not once did it ever cross their mind they could die on it. Hell I'm an enthusiast and it never crossed my mind. 

Edited by Original
  • Like 1

I'm sure if you work in the MSM, or are just an apologist for them, but this: 

4 minutes ago, Original said:

"hey, school holidays are around the corner, I know what will really screw up the parks business!!!" 

absolutely does happen. It's not necessarily about screwing the parks business - its about creating "impact" which is visually measurable. So then for the next 10 years the journalists can say to anyone that cares to listen "hey do you remember when I did that fluff piece on theme parks, and following it attendance dropped 10% below expectations? I have cut-through, i have power, i create change". I I I, Me Me Me.

The media game is entirely based upon one-up-manship and ego. They will say and do anything to gain traction, notoriety and engagement, and do not give an ounce of care of who they tread on in their pursuit of "glory".

9 minutes ago, Original said:

People know they could die in a car, but ask anyone outside of enthusiasts, especially those with families and they'll tell you they always went on TRRR and not once did it ever cross their mind they could die on it. Hell I'm an enthusiast and it never crossed my mind.

People know they can die in any kind of way. Its unlikely you'll die in a car crash, its unlikely you'll die in house fire, its unlikely you'll die of a diagnosed allergic reaction to shellfish, it's unlikely you go to work and get caught in a piece of machinery and die - but these things happen - and all more often that accidents occur in theme parks.

3 minutes ago, Original said:

I can 110% guarantee you are wrong. 

based on what? do you work for channel 7? are you producing this fluff piece? if not - you are just someone with an opinion, and whilst you're 100% welcome to it, giving it a 110% guarantee of accuracy is both naive and superfluous. 

• Like 1

Just now, Original said:

Exactly my point, you just proved it for me. Accidents do occur more often in other areas so when it happens at a theme park, a place of fun, it shocks people, people don't expect it and therefore becomes a human interest story that someone will do a feature on. 

A human interest story? TRRR happened near on 4 years ago. Do you think the family want another headline in the paper? More footage on the tv? They've concluded the official processes, its done with. If this was not designed to get fear mongering about theme parks back on agenda, it would have been released at the same time as the inquest, not months and months later when the chatter about dangers and deaths had gone away. 

Its a shock piece, it's designed to smash a struggling covid-hit injury for a producer to get some props from like minded egomaniacs.

2 minutes ago, Original said:

Let's just say I know how these things work. 

I know how a lot of things work too, but i'm not going to jump on a forum and say "i know everything, believe me" with zero credible facts/statements/figures to back up what i am saying or who i am.

Given the scandalous and agenda-driven, downright pathetic at times, integrity of the MSM in this country, and the world for that matter, the onus of proof is on them to show they are not being insensitive, conniving and tactless. Let's see what appears on our screens on Sunday. Their entire tagline is based around getting the family together to watch the show - which includes children - so if they focus on people dying - that is called instilling fear where fear does not need to be instilled, which will prove my point entirely.

Lets reconvene this conversation on Sunday night....  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

I think the title of the this post should be changed all I'm seeing is posts about accidents nothing about steel taipan nor the demolition of log ride seriously talk bout something else 

Welcome to Parkz, where it’s not just the rides that go off track...

It has gone a little off track, but I’m sure a mod will come along soon and move some stuff into another thread.

in the meantime, you’ll find the info about the demolition of the log ride in the thread all about it... here ->

Edited by Brad2912

4 hours ago, Original said:

And I said in my first point I am surprised it took this long for a piece like this to be made. 

And again no programmer said let's do a shock piece and smash a struggling industry and then high five each other Monday in the boardroom. That's not how segments/content is pitched, its just not. 

this is totally false. I work and do media for a major fireworks company and during the bushfire, they got hammered by the media. cut to a week before NYE it was all about cancelling and the media feeding it purely for click bait. One reporter gave us an absolute uneducated spray on the 20th of December that got alot of people upset and then on the 28th did a fluff peice about how good the fireworks would be for Surfers Paradise. I called him out infront of the media pack and he sheepishly told the whole pack, that what ever gets the ratings. Australian media its all about online click bait for advertising and what ever gets a rating. I have 10 years of experience with the media and its the same shit day in and day out. It's infotainment, over hype, opinion and also most never just the facts. So please don't embarrass yourself by saying that the media don't high five when they though and indusrty under the bus and get huge ratings. 

4 years I took for them to stop mentioning death and dreamworld in the same story.

10 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

But you just finished ranting about how they don't do that. In fact you 110% guaranteed it. 

No I said it’s not pitched as to let’s destroy an industry just before school holidays and then track their attendance figures just after and boast about how it was our story was the reason why they fell. That I can guarantee doesn’t happen. 

Do they often get facts wrong, or gloss over things to make you believe the viewpoint the author wants you to believe. Shit yes. If this story does that, then I will happily say yes they did. 

My only point is from the start there is a lot of upset people without even having watched this yet. It’s like how people judge a coaster before having even ridden it. 

On 05/06/2021 at 2:29 PM, Original said:

Do they often get facts wrong, or gloss over things to make you believe the viewpoint the author wants you to believe. Shit yes.

*Mostly on purpose

On 05/06/2021 at 2:29 PM, Original said:

My only point is from the start there is a lot of upset people without even having watched this yet. It’s like how people judge a coaster before having even ridden it. 

I'm fairly certain that there are certain roller coasters out there than can be judged without riding, based on who the manufacturer is. Your point that a lot of upset people who haven't seen a piece is tempered by the fact that those upset people have history, and certain pre-existing knowledge of how these things go. 

100% guarantee the monday morning board meeting is full of high fives as they lead the ratings on Sunday night... which is all they aimed to do in the first place.