Sega World making a return to Australia?!

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2021/06/sega-theme-park-australia/?fbclid=IwAR2SmaKdpe2VcwrWOkZu3lGlm8HQ6NqqOrU2E8lqZIcxbIV5ibt9KWi9B5g

I saw this article online and thought it would be best to share it on here for everyone to read and discuss!!

Who here has memories of Sega World when it was originally in Darling Harbour? 
and has anyone experienced any others from around the world?

Edited by zacsta_1997
  • Love it! 1

My memories are hazy; I only visited Sega World once and it closed when I was 5, but what I do remember is the high-tech and futuristic aesthetic. It was a really great family experience the day we visited. I seem to recall a Nickelodeon themed playground but could be wrong? That building was such an iconic part of Darling Harbour's identity and it was a shame to see it go.

Where would a new Sega attraction go? More importantly, does Sega have the relevancy now that it did in the 90s? I'd say no way. I think Nintendo would have the best shot at an attraction; just look at the amazing things they're doing with Universal over the next few years. And if it did return down under, I'd be surprised to see it come to Sydney since Barry and Gladys have made the CBD a no-fun zone.

In all seriousness, between the demise of this and Wonderland, there's such a gap in the market in Sydney that I'd love to see filled one day. If I was placing bets, I'd say there'll be some kind of theme park attraction near Nancy Bird airport within the next ten-fifteen years.

• Love it! 1

Sega was at the peak of it's popularity in the mid-90s. The park itself was great to visit but struggled to get visitation - I'm not sure why, it was great to spend a few hours - but these days Sega has ceased to be relevant. They no longer produce consoles, their games are now released on more popular platforms like Nintendo Switch, and it's no longer enough to plonk a crap ton of arcade machines alongside some bad 90's VR tech and call it a park when people carry VR devices in the palm of their hand and home gaming consoles have better graphics and more performance than any capcom arcade cabinet. Especially when you see the standard Nintendo have set at Universal - and its a no from me.

By the sounds of things, not many people remember Sega World - and its not surprising given how long ago it closed - so for those of you who are looking for a bit more info on it - check this out: https://youtu.be/30rewscpdE8

See-Ga Later!

One thing I noticed about Joypolis is that there wasn't a whole lot of traditional Sega (Probably why they used "Joypolis" as the brand and not "Sega Joypolis". 

They had Sonic and House of the dead, but the rest was either generic ("Halfpipe Tokyo, Storm-G etc) or simply popular Anime attractions and walkthroughs (Attack on Titan, Ace Attorney) and even non Sega (Zero Latency VR, Transformers)

Im hoping these parks draws some inspiration from sega republic in Dubai. Though I never got to go see it in person it certainly looked like a pretty cool place with some decent attractions like a 3 story slide, a few  simulators, a sonic themed drop tower and a robotnik themed spinning coaster amongst a couple other rides. 

Lol i was the one who sent this tip off to the original video creator in the first place.

That being said I'd take any rumours of expansion here with a grain of salt for now. There isn't any real proof or substance to it whatsoever beyond a google translated Thai article. I'll be keeping a keen eye on their 2020-21 annual report, or anything on their more established progress overseas to come out before I assume anything is happening.

6 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

They no longer produce consoles, their games are now released on more popular platforms like Nintendo Switch, and it's no longer enough to plonk a crap ton of arcade machines alongside some bad 90's VR tech and call it a park when people carry VR devices in the palm of their hand and home gaming consoles have better graphics and more performance than any capcom arcade cabinet. Especially when you see the standard Nintendo have set at Universal - and its a no from me.

I agree but this will probably be more of a Timezone on steroids kind of thing and less of a theme park. Considering how timezone have done pretty much a complete 180 in popularity in the last few years (eg: the one at Surfers getting a complete redo a couple of years back), it doesn't surprise me that Sega would be eyeing off trying their hand in here again. Sonic as a brand was pretty much non-relevant here until the movie came out last year, nek minnit toys of the character sell out within 2 days at target.

6 hours ago, Gazza said:

One thing I noticed about Joypolis is that there wasn't a whole lot of traditional Sega (Probably why they used "Joypolis" as the brand and not "Sega Joypolis". 

They had Sonic and House of the dead, but the rest was either generic ("Halfpipe Tokyo, Storm-G etc) or simply popular Anime attractions and walkthroughs (Attack on Titan, Ace Attorney) and even non Sega (Zero Latency VR, Transformers)

Neither was Sega World back in the day, funnily enough. It was literally a copy-paste of what was at Joypolis in 1997 with some Sonic to appeal to the local audience. I expect something similar if this does end up eventuating.

Edited by Baconjack

Sega World was awesome. I remember visiting one night not long after it first opened (it used to be open really late) and me and my friend had the best time. Huge amounts of immersive theming with dedicated zones - truly an indoor theme park. I mean it even had a nicely themed indoor roller coaster that packed a punch. Plus an interactive ghost train. It was definitely something special.

16 hours ago, Baconjack said:

I agree but this will probably be more of a Timezone on steroids kind of thing and less of a theme park. Considering how timezone have done pretty much a complete 180 in popularity in the last few years (eg: the one at Surfers getting a complete redo a couple of years back), it doesn't surprise me that Sega would be eyeing off trying their hand in here again. Sonic as a brand was pretty much non-relevant here until the movie came out last year, nek minnit toys of the character sell out within 2 days at target.

I think some of Timezone's explosion here has been the fact that TEEG purchased Ardent's bowling and entertainment division, significantly expanding their market share, presence and diversifying their centres into more than just 'arcades'. 

If I remember correctly, they chopped some AMF centres up and shipped bowling equipment to arcades, and created bigger arcades in their bowling centres to create a better destination with existing assets. Absolutely Surfers renovation was necessary to bring it into the 21st century.

I guess what I mean is - TEEG had skin in the game, and then they bought a hell of a lot more skin. Sega trying to break into this would need a point of difference to Timezone's offering, or would need to simultaneously open dozens of competing centres and undercut the existing product. Neither of which is a slam dunk. 

Sonic - in my opinion, was far more iconic in the 90s than today, and the introduction of a film, which was met with a fairly ordinary and lukewarm reception. The film was released just as COVID-19 was ramping up, and while there is no factual basis for this, i'm sure it probably contributed to the explosion of coronavirus cases in the US. because science.

I enjoyed Jim Carrey films as a kid. Then I developed taste.

TIL they're actually developing STH-2, so clearly it was more successful than I gave it credit for (i'd only heard bad things about the film). I think the current appeal can be attributed to two factors - adults who reminisce about their youth, and kids who don't know any better. 

As someone who did all the chores imaginable to be able to buy the original Sonic for my Sega Master System 2 back in i'm gonna go with 91 or 92 (i think, release dates escape me but hell, i was like 7), i havent really continued with a fondness for Sonic outside of the original 2 games. However, my son really likes Sonic now, and its definitely a growing IP again. The movie was actually pretty good imo... once they went back and redesigned Sonic after the horrendous first reveal trailer. Sonic will never be better than Mario, but the IP still holds enough sway be it nostalgically or with its growing modern relevance to be a strong attraction point if something was to get off the ground.

• Like 2

It would be great if something like this did eventuate, but I’m not holding my breath.

Timezone dominate the indoor ent market after throwing some major capital at it. There is no comparing other arcade operators with Timezone. The story of Timezones rise is amazing as the brand was virtually dead, with the venues at Cooly and Surfers virtually the only major locations on the east coast worth mentioning. They were both privately owned locations.

Then came the private equity groups, and TEEG was formed, which have since thrown a shit tonne of money at the brand, and it appears to be going gangbusters for them. 

There is certainly a market for these types of entertainment locations, but I feel so far, what Timezone have done is set a benchmark to be beaten, and for competitions sake, I hope Sega can. Time will tell.

• 7 months later...
20 hours ago, Smol bean said:

Joypolis isn't directly owned by Sega anymore, it was sold to a Chinese company several years ago who to my knowledge are still eyeing off building them outside of Japan and China

19 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Joypolis isn't directly owned by Sega anymore, it was sold to a Chinese company several years ago who to my knowledge are still eyeing off building them outside of Japan and China

My worry is that the organisation that bought Joypolis won't "get" why Joypolis is such a success, at least in Tokyo Bay. Sure, they can copy and paste the structure of the idea (indoor, big atrium, arcade stuff, roller-coaster, some simulators?) but what ties Joypolis together compared to other indoor centres is the fact that Sega's nutso culture makes the whole thing wonderfully eccentric and engaging.