Meerkats at Paradise Country

themagician

• 1 month later...

“Mr Randhawa said despite the lockdown, they are still on track to deliver a number of new attractions in the coming months, including a new meerkat exhibit and café at Paradise Country.”

It seems that the current exhibit for the meerkats is only temporary and a new area and cafe are coming

https://www.mygc.com.au/watch-behind-the-scenes-with-village-roadshow-theme-parks-during-lockdown/

12 minutes ago, joz said:

What that sounds like to me is that they might be in a temporary exhibit. This sort of thing happens when you have to take the animals on before the permanent one is finished.

Yep they are currently in a temporary exhibit while the main one is being constructed.

356472390_ScreenShot2021-08-08at12_00_51pm.thumb.png.b015d3233a602f1260ed02038aa051d0.png

Credit to Destination Dad

When staying at Paradise country I did ask what the construction was.   Staff confirmed it was the new meerckat enclose which will also be designed for guest encounters too.   He also said they have other animals coming soon.  With the enclosure the meerkats are currently in, I thought it would suit echidnas.  🤔

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Slick said:

I’d be okay with that, tbh. 

It always blows my mind, having grown up in Sydney, with direct access to Taronga Zoo, and a short drive out to Western Plains Zoo, and visiting family in Canberra and going to the Canberra Zoo, just how lacking we are in SEQ.

Alma Park zoo closed. Lone Pine - whilst it does have a number of exhibits considers itself a koala sanctuary first and foremost, Australia Zoo is... unique.

I mean heck - 2 years ago Sydney opened a THIRD zoo in Western Sydney - about the same size as Alma Park zoo and we can't even find 40 acres for Alma Park Zoo to rebuild!

• Like 2

On 19/08/2021 at 7:23 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

It always blows my mind, having grown up in Sydney, with direct access to Taronga Zoo, and a short drive out to Western Plains Zoo, and visiting family in Canberra and going to the Canberra Zoo, just how lacking we are in SEQ.

Alma Park zoo closed. Lone Pine - whilst it does have a number of exhibits considers itself a koala sanctuary first and foremost, Australia Zoo is... unique.

I mean heck - 2 years ago Sydney opened a THIRD zoo in Western Sydney - about the same size as Alma Park zoo and we can't even find 40 acres for Alma Park Zoo to rebuild!

It is strange that Queensland has never had a government owned or funded zoo. There are a few privately owned zoos within a few hours drive that punch above their weight. Both Wildlife HQ at the Big Pineapple and Darling Downs Zoo have a wider variety of exotic animals than Australia Zoo. Unfortunately, they don’t have the budget for marketing or for immersive exhibits, however, given the scale of these zoos, they sure do put in the effort to continually upgrade their facilities.

I’m all for Paradise Country becoming a zoo, as the whole Australian farm experience doesn’t really appeal to me. They could begin by holding more native species (echidnas, quokkas etc.) and then move onto adding more exotics. Species like capybara, tamarins would be on top of the list if I was in charge. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...