An Afternoon at Warner Bros. Movie World's Hooray for Hollywood parade.

An Afternoon at Warner Bros. Movie World's Hooray for Hollywood parade.

Warner Bros. Movie World has debuted its latest event, 'Hooray for Hollywood' in celebration of the theme park's 30th birthday. We headed along before the current Gold Coast lockdown to take in some of the old and new characters, props, entertainment and dining options.

Click here to continue reading

• Like 4

Oh dear. You shouldn't have done that. Now nobody will go to the event because they've already seen all the good bits, and they will go broke and have to close down. 

*folks. this is sarcasm. its a form of humour. if you didn't laugh, the joke wasn't meant for you. have a nice day.

1 hour ago, GoGoBoy said:

What are the chances the gremlins on the back of the float are old animatronics from the ride? I'm assuming slim?

Pretty sure the park had at least one of the originals, maybe more - but i'd hope they wouldn't be dusting them off and they've had new ones made up - would have given some prop students some real fun over at the studios i'm sure!

24 minutes ago, xRazzBerryx said:

I really wish they brought back the Mr. Freeze float, that was a standout for me as a child. 

Might just be my imagination, but there's so many similarities between the Mr Freeze float and the Wonder Woman float I always just thought that's what became of it...

I find the Villains Parade to be more captivating and just has that bit more energy with flame throwers, and people interacting with the crowd. Copying what @themagician said, this is literally just a parade with waving and I was a little disappointed considering how much it was built up, in my opinion although I could have just built it up in my head.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, themagician said:

Maybe even someone on a mic announcing who/what is coming next (like how events would announce who was coming down the red carpet next for example).

The only trouble with that idea is that the parade route is quite a distance. When do you announce them? when they reach the daily planet? so the people at the fountain can't see who has been announced?

Parades are a moving feast. Disney does it so well there's just continuous energy from start to finish no matter where along the parade route you are, and the 'story' of the soundtrack plays out right in front of you because the audio is set up that way.

I'm not suggesting MW have to do disney-level parades here, by the way - far from it - but we can't make this into something it isn't. Back in the older days - a parade was exactly that - characters came out on floats, waved, and left. That's precisely what a parade is... and that's what they've delivered here. 

5 hours ago, themagician said:

They did claim it was their biggest parade ever, which I guess they aren’t wrong about. And they didn’t say it was their best parade ever

I echo what the magician said. I witnessed the event on Monday, and I was impressed with all the extra entertainment (it’s how movie world used to be) however the parade felt incredibly lacklustre, and I couldn’t put my finger on what exactly was missing. Maybe it was the soundtrack? 

Also considering all the extra parades the park has done in recent times with extra special effects, I was also surprised this didn’t have anything worth writing home about in terms of special effects like sparklers, confetti of the likes. 

• Like 1

I stand by, the Super Villians parade is the best yet, with the lasers and other lighting effects, smoke and the villians 'interact' with the crowd, more or less trying to 'scare' them, whereas the Super Heros just stand and wave. 

Don't get me wrong, my son who LOVES the flash gets excited seeing him (even though he ignored him wearing both flash shirt and hat) and was super excited when Green Lantern pointed him out and waved, but the rest of the parade was a bit Meh for him too. For reference hes 7

On 02/07/2021 at 7:29 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

The only trouble with that idea is that the parade route is quite a distance. When do you announce them? when they reach the daily planet? so the people at the fountain can't see who has been announced?

Back in the older days - a parade was exactly that - characters came out on floats, waved, and left. That's precisely what a parade is... and that's what they've delivered here. 

That is a fair point, I was just spit balling some ideas.

You’re right about what a parade is, but even there usual daily parade has a bit more too it. Yes there are less characters and floats, but the music constantly changes, the characters dance and interact with people. And it has a great fun vibe about it

17 hours ago, Naazon said:

I stand by, the Super Villians parade is the best yet, with the lasers and other lighting effects, smoke and the villians 'interact' with the crowd, more or less trying to 'scare' them, whereas the Super Heros just stand and wave. 

This is what I was expecting for this parade 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, themagician said:

You’re right about what a parade is, but even there usual daily parade has a bit more too it. Yes there are less characters and floats, but the music constantly changes, the characters dance and interact with people. And it has a great fun vibe about it

2-3 weeks ago when we were there for the parade (tend to avoid the area at parade time but my son wanted to catch it) there was no dancing, no interaction. Floats went down and back, no one got off the floats 

4 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

2-3 weeks ago when we were there for the parade (tend to avoid the area at parade time but my son wanted to catch it) there was no dancing, no interaction. Floats went down and back, no one got off the floats 

They can’t at the moment due to Covid 

3 hours ago, themagician said:

@Brad2912 oh. Well they used to.

Correct, they stopped doing that just prior to the closure last year 

10 hours ago, MWgirl247365 said:

They can’t at the moment due to Covid 

Correct, they stopped doing that just prior to the closure last year 

Can you explain why covid rules prohibit them from having entertainers dancing and interacting, even if it’s from a distance? 

7 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Until 7 days ago there was no restrictions in Qld whatsoever, so that is incorrect. 

18 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

Can you explain why covid rules prohibit them from having entertainers dancing and interacting, even if it’s from a distance? 

Ask the QLD government or VRTP, Looks like they are just stating the position Movie World have taken that interactions during the parade are not possible due to covid.

580586AD-2713-4E30-A0FD-AA5929873DB5.png

Edited by Park Addict 93

Went today for the afternoon. REALLY enjoyed this event. So great to see so much streetmosphere, was a real great vibe. Marvin the Martian was so good to see again at the Roxy, please let it stay forever, leaps and bounds better than the poorly cut together Yogi clips, and MtM has some actualy 'Studios Park-ness' too it, that the park has been lacking in since all the DC came along. Wait times not too bad since most things are operating, would've been nice to have two trains for DCR, but even with one was only 45 minute wait (posted 70). WWF only 15 min wait (posted 30). Parade was pretty good, kind of expected something more from the parade, some story maybe, but I still enjoyed it and some of the floats are great. Gremlins float was awesome imo, a real throwback. Honestly I can't believe the event is only running for two weeks! Wish it was longer.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2021 at 12:43 AM, Brad2912 said:

Until 7 days ago there was no restrictions in Qld whatsoever, so that is incorrect. 

Here's the thing. Whether or not there are 'restrictions' in place, the QLD Gov and the CHO have stressed the need for people to distance, change behaviours etc. Most dining facilities are still operating at reduced capacities to maintain distancing, and most businesses are still operating under the terms of their covid-safe plan. 

If the park factored in zero-contact interactions with characters in their plan, then, until they revise a new plan and publish it, they'll follow what they've already got. You can't sanitise plush fabric gloves easily in a manner that won't wreck the suit or cause it to be sopping wet... so you just don't have contact. Disney parks in Florida still distance their character appearances with physical barriers to keep guests away from them - and they've pretty much reopened everything - even mask rules are dropping in public areas.

Many of the Covid-safe plans out there are being relaxed, provided folks who enter the facility are using the QR code, but there are still too many people who enter shops and restaurants without using them, and it shouldn't need to be policed at this point.

The biggest problem we have right now is that as soon as we lift a restriction, or change it from 'mandatory' to 'recommended', the great unwashed use it as an excuse to say 'I don't HAVE to, so I WONT'. Apparently "you're allowed to exercise" translates to "people are allowed to sunbake on the beaches!"

I saw a woman on Facebook this other day talking about how the QR system wasn't mandatory until July 9, telling everyone they didn't have to use it (Whilst failing to understand the QR system was mandatory for businesses to use by July 9, but that it should still be used by every business that already had it. In one sentence she talked about how she thought it was important to use it, but how proud she was that she told off some lowly coles employee and walked in anyway because it wasn't 'legal' yet.)

...and I would never have thought it would be such a hard concept to grasp, but I learned otherwise 15 months ago when we had to have celebrities on youtube showing us how to wash our hands properly.

Just because the government says 'no restrictions' - that doesn't mean we should just go back to completely normal. All it takes is for one person to become complacent at the wrong time and we're all back where we started.

• Like 4