Dreamworld's New Look Train

themagician

9 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

That might open them all at once, but they’ll still need to be closed, and for safety reasons, checked by the conductor even if a guest has already closed it.

(pray that they aren’t like Taipan requiring an RFID scan within a few seconds of closing or the train will never move)

They shouldn't be RFID tags. The railway is interesting. The engine (motive power, non-steam) is operated by a standard ride op who has been signed off. Steam is a different story, you need a boiler certificate.

I believe the railway, however (tracks and stations) are built to a Queensland Railways (QR) standard for narrow gauge railways.  

But for the carriages, they might be a mechanism locked via air seeing the train's carriages need air as per Railway regulations.

My bet, they’ll unlock and open unassisted ( unlocked via a simple air tape from driver or guard) but will require the guard or conductor to manually close them. 

1 hour ago, StingRay said:

believe the railway, however (tracks and stations) are built to a Queensland Railways (QR) standard for narrow gauge railways.  

My understanding it it falls under an amusement ride, not a railway. 

Doors/gates could be simple mag locks, like apartment/office building front doors. Operator releases, guests actuate. Operator locks, manually checks each one. Simple and low voltage. 

1 hour ago, red dragin said:

My understanding it it falls under an amusement ride, not a railway. 

Doors/gates could be simple mag locks, like apartment/office building front doors. Operator releases, guests actuate. Operator locks, manually checks each one. Simple and low voltage. 

Yeah its an odd one. I've heard the tracks, grades and carriages where looked at as a proper railway. But its pulled along via an amusement ride but it's wheels and gauge was to the railway specifications (narrow gauge standards for QLD). 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Gazza said:

The new track doesn't seem to have a connection to the old maintenance shed... Any ideas how it will work?

Also, here's the new paint job on the Buzzsaw fence in progress 

PXL_20220312_043014515.jpg

PXL_20220312_042942707.jpg

PXL_20220312_042756914.jpg

PXL_20220312_035305479.jpg

Here is my theory, the old sheds are gone. 

I know that a set of points got installed near the main station (behind the toilets for ABC world) and assume this would be a siding with maybe a small shed. 

In the long run, it's easy to install more tracks and make a maintenance facility somewhere else. However, I don't see the return of steam occurring without proper facilities for general servicing and maintenance. 

What in gods name is that fence? Jesus, it’s hideous. 
Whats the end game for this?

And FWIW the entire Dreamworld BS narrative of nostalgia can just bugger right off if there is no intention of restoring steam. Any idiot can dig out an old jingle, but actually backing that with in park guest experience is a whole other thing. 

13 hours ago, Rivals said:

i’m sorry but i don’t think the parks future hangs in the balance of whether or not they bring the steam train back or not.

No of course it doesn’t. 
But it does call out the ‘only if it’s cheap and easy’ nature of their whole Nostalgia angle they are trying to run with. And that’s my point. 

Also FWIW in my opinion replacing one ugly fence with another ugly fence is no sort of improvement. 

I just wish mediocracy could stop being praised at every turn. Where then is the incentive to do better?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rivals said:

Also, the fence is better then having a rusty fence that use to fit the aesthetic of two rides that are no longer there.

Meanwhile they've held onto the building of a closed ride that that blocks the view of Steel Taipan for reasons. I'd argue that I wouldn't want folk's first or second view of Dreamworld as they enter the roadway to be "oh look, is that where Buzzsaw used to be?" and remembering that there's a bunch of rides gone and feeling like they're not getting their money's worth before they've even parked.

In regards to the fence, really the question is "was the end result money well spent?" Looking at what's there so far, my gut feeling is no.

14 hours ago, Rivals said:

i’m sorry but i don’t think the parks future hangs in the balance of whether or not they bring the steam train back or not.

I think what @rappa is trying to convey (and that's been subsequently misconstrued) is that they need to walk the walk if they're going to talk the talk. Plonking a once beloved piece of history (steam train) outside of a closed attraction (just like they did Big Red Car) is basically shouting "remember how you used to be able to enjoy this back in the day?" It'd be fine if the park was in a place of newfound success and these attractions had functioning replacements, nostalgia then is appropriate, but they don't, and that's not where the park's at. I'd wager then that parading their tarred history instead of throwing every single penny the park's future (Steel Taipan's opening) is a giant mis-step.

This has come up a treat. Probably the best it's looked in a long, long time. Here's hoping the sign makes a return with some period-appropriate design aesthetics. I'd also love to see the station adorned with some appropriate trim when the painting's done (reverting the clock to something more old school, changing out the light fixtures for something more period appropriate, putting in benches undercover like you would a train station etc. etc.)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Slick said:

Meanwhile they've held onto the building of a closed ride that that blocks the view of Steel Taipan for reasons. I'd argue that I wouldn't want folk's first or second view of Dreamworld as they enter the roadway to be "oh look, is that where Buzzsaw used to be?"

Isn't that meant to be going to the Caboolture Historical Village? 

• 2 weeks later...

The post and rail was certainly more charming, its a shame they couldn't have put up the same low-profile colourbond fence like on the other side of the pathway to corroboree as at least then it would match...

but it did make me think - aside from the red colourbond fence (which I personally don't like), what else would you have them do that would meet the requirement of ride envelope safety for the train?

Well first thing I would do is establish what the actual requirements are. I don't think the 'ride envelope fencing' is the same standard as what a coaster would be. It seems like all it needs to be is a barrier. Once you've established what's needed, google image search 'pretty fence', select a couple different styles to keep things interesting, plant a garden with some flowers and call it a day 

While a standard fence like this ain't super pretty or look great for the semi-professional photographer, it's great for one category. 

The small kids, they can now see the train through the fence. 

It will be some form of requirement for the fence also based on the safety and speed of the train. 

So, even tho this ain't pretty. I hope the kids enjoy it. 

• Like 2