Dreamworld's New Look Train

themagician

It must be hard trying to find angles to make a much shorter circuit seem like it's an upgrade. New carriages is one way I guess. I've said for years that they should close the station at Billabong Cafe and Rocky Hollow and have it not stop at Main Station for 10mins like they currently do. With how short it is they'll almost need to leave Billabong station in to try and trick people into thinking the ride has a bit of length to it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, joz said:

It must be hard trying to find angles to make a much shorter circuit seem like it's an upgrade

Because you dont have to look at a waterpark and I guess some marginal benefit in terms of getting to the back of the park a bit faster, if you are using the train for transport rather than 'the ride'.

Wonder who is doing the carriages? Severn Lamb?

Edited by Gazza

I’ve mapped out the current train line, possible new line and station locations. (Red: exisiting. Blue:potential. Green: maintenance line. Yellow: current station).

Based off what we know, I think the blue line is most likely what we will see the rain route be when it reopens, with the green section kept to allow for maintenance and storage. Based off this I think the Rocky Hollow station will be no more, leaving the 3 stations. I’d be tempted to remove the Billabong station (one stop after Main Street) and just keep the two. I wonder if they will reopen the Corroboree store as that used to be used as the station exit (if I remember correctly)
44210AFD-5749-45B4-A00D-3BC0B054B030.thumb.jpeg.73604c0fca934a1370e9c47e17620e76.jpeg

Having said all that, wouldn’t they have removed the Rocky hollow station during the log ride demolition? Why keep it if the track was going to bypass the station now? I do hope they remove the loop around blue lagoon because it has been an eye sore for 15 years now. 

Seems like they are going to get light weight carriages. Narrow gauge locomotives & rolling stock are able to take super tight radius curves. Most of the weight in the current carriages would be within the bogies (wheel frame) and within the chassis.

I bet we will see shorter carriages resulting in less capacity. Essentially go away from conventional passenger cars and use a more amusement style set. Sounds odd but differences do occur.

Is it possible that because the train is classed as an amusement ride and not a railway (they aren't under the supervision of the National Rail Regulator), that they've had to change the carriages to meet the new standards?

This could be due to the major changes to the 'ride' (ie track shortening, new route) preventing them from grandfathering the existing carriages under the older standards. 

The newer route shouldn't be as tough as the curve will be less tight even though it will still have a steepish gradient to it. 

Edited by red dragin
  • Like 1

On 21/07/2021 at 3:13 PM, red dragin said:

Is it possible that because the train is classed as an amusement ride and not a railway (they aren't under the supervision of the National Rail Regulator), that they've had to change the carriages to meet the new standards?

This could be due to the major changes to the 'ride' (ie track shortening, new route) preventing them from grandfathering the existing carriages under the older standards. 

The newer route shouldn't be as tough as the curve will be less tight even though it will still have a steepish gradient to it. 

BINGO!

On 21/07/2021 at 9:02 PM, Inverted said:

Have to wonder if they will run the train in reverse direction.  Would be easier going down that grade.   The new carriages may have upgraded brakes.   

Going downhill would require more breaking capacity under the Rail regulators conditions but I am 100% sure this train is now classified as an amusement device. Driving in the rain down hill would result in compression locking  (skidding) meaning the trail would speed up and become out of control.

It will still go the way it always had all be it a new set of carriages that the tractor can actually pull, more likely reduced capacity equalling in reduced weight meaning it might drive more than 4KPH.

• 3 weeks later...
  • joz changed the title to Dreamworld's New Look Train