Dreamworld's New Look Train

themagician

Destination Dad and Daughter captured the track that used to lead to the maintenance building being removed 

5B24DD1B-7ACD-4207-A13B-BE1B5B58C053.thumb.jpeg.17bb0f27b4e106d20ac8082016a7c0d8.jpeg

729D82F0-C460-48E7-B6B4-75B70760ADCF.thumb.jpeg.1e21aa381746c577e271a5d0c2ea21f8.jpeg

Looks like the train won’t go this way at all anymore

55A8B6C9-1C84-4C78-B8DB-7825F970C7BF.thumb.jpeg.dfdd02da15e4dec1bd08e0b9733ecc13.jpeg

The colorbond has been installed, but interestingly there is a gap for the train track. Now I’m thinking that the Rocky hollow station will be changed to the storage/maintenance area. Otherwise it would’ve been removed when the log ride was being demolished?

Edited by themagician
  • Like 2

From what I understand is that the train will still travel in the same direction. rocky hollow station will be cut from the line. a gradual increase in the track grade will begin from corroboree to giant drop. the train will cut between giant drop and moto coaster. a new switch will be installed and the old maintenance shed will still be utilised but will have a new track installed to connect to it away from ST.

At a wild guess  the old Rocky Hollow station area might become the new maintenance facility for the train. 

The other day in a video from a Youtuber they showed the point’s (switch) being craned out of the old maintenance area. They wouldn't do that if they didn't want to keep it. They looked like “standard” points to me.

New map shows the new train route possibly. Seems it will go towards the old station then suddenly turn left. 

image.png

Edited by StingRay
Added image

9 minutes ago, StingRay said:

New map shows the new train route possibly. Seems it will go towards the old station then suddenly turn left.

surely that radius is a bit too tight?

i did notice in recent photos though that the pathway between MDMC and GD looked like it wouldn't accommodate the train so this new direction is interesting. I do hope they grade it sufficiently, and don't lose too much space from the hairpin.

28 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

surely that radius is a bit too tight?

i did notice in recent photos though that the pathway between MDMC and GD looked like it wouldn't accommodate the train so this new direction is interesting. I do hope they grade it sufficiently, and don't lose too much space from the hairpin.

It looks way too tight, the grade will also be much for severe from memory.  If the diesel has had work done to its wheels then maybe it could take a tighter radius but still, man that's going to be a challenge. Even if they do turn the train around. I'm assuming these new carriages will be of aluminium/lightweight steel construction now to take as much load off the engine as possible. 

• Like 1

The old carriages where 6 ton each, plus passengers. The current 'loco' weighs about 7 ton. 

Loco's rely on the weight of the loco to grip the steel rail (tractive effort). With the low weight pulling compared to the carriages, explains the need for lighter carriages. 

Curves and climbs (plus both combined) make it harder still to maintain grip. 

12 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Perhaps Dreamworld needs to consider a French style VAL rubber tyre metro as the correct mode to deal with the grades?

File:Lille VAL 208.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

If we're going down the road of bastardising things, just go full hog and get the train from the Brisbane Myer Centre to do laps around the park.

Tops1.jpg.54242af09ecae8c517d3d749bbb3fb78.jpg.8e8cf35bf31fce8ad765e08e7577fa61.jpg

16 hours ago, red dragin said:

The old carriages where 6 ton each, plus passengers. The current 'loco' weighs about 7 ton. 

Loco's rely on the weight of the loco to grip the steel rail (tractive effort). With the low weight pulling compared to the carriages, explains the need for lighter carriages. 

Curves and climbs (plus both combined) make it harder still to maintain grip. 

100% accurate. The tractive effort is achieved by the weight of the locomotive on the railhead along with the good balancing of the locomotive on its suspension. 

I was unsure of the actual weight of the carriages but I assumed 5t.

I wonder how many carriages the new consist will have?. 

6 hours ago, Slick said:

If we're going down the road of bastardising things, just go full hog and get the train from the Brisbane Myer Centre to do laps around the park.

Tops1.jpg.54242af09ecae8c517d3d749bbb3fb78.jpg.8e8cf35bf31fce8ad765e08e7577fa61.jpg

That would actually be a hilarious and great idea just for Brisbane nostalgia. Though I'm waiting for it all to end up like the "train" at Roma St Parklands 
image.thumb.png.9e8aae659fe8fe231bc7fffc9fdfc13b.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • joz changed the title to Dreamworld's New Look Train