Dreamworld's New Look Train

themagician

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, themagician said:

They’ve trimmed the hedge even more to reveal this element I’ve never seen before 

Now you're just showing your age...

7 hours ago, Cactus_Matt said:

As I seem to recall (could be wrong) they had a miniature train model go round on that little track on the hour.

You're right about what it is, although i've no idea about the frequency. I think @Slick might know more about this little piece though...

• Like 1

It would be so good for re opening if they brought back the old colour scheme.

The rest of mainstreet yeah whatever that can be the new colours....but I think there was some definite original design intent that the design of the station and the design of the main entrance building Dreamworld should complement each other.

Plus with a fresh new colour scheme it helps sell it as a fully refreshed attraction.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Gazza said:

It would be so good for re opening if they brought back the old colour scheme.

The rest of mainstreet yeah whatever that can be the new colours....but I think there was some definite original design intent that the design of the station and the design of the main entrance building Dreamworld should complement each other.

Plus with a fresh new colour scheme it helps sell it as a fully refreshed attraction.

Fun fact, both Central Plaza and City Hall had sky blue roofs whilst John owned Dreamworld while the train station retained a forest green roof. It was only later on that City Hall was changed to the darker forest green we know today.

G1355.thumb.jpg.26ac6da507c8d9d4b074bba50b971072.jpg

Doing a quick effort Google, you can sort of make out the colour (although the low-quality print/scan make it hard to see with the yellow banding) but below you can clearly see both in the blue.

G0354.thumb.jpg.927029930b08df2d6f5ec6255758f71e.jpg

The rationale was to match those roof colours to the surrounding skyline. So since you were mostly looking up at City Hall & Central Plaza's buildings, the roofs matched the blue sky, whilst the train station was matched to the neighbouring trees since you were looking through or down at the building.

I believe they spent this much time thinking about Sky Voyager's facade too.

Edited by Slick

9 minutes ago, Ashley Jeffery said:

Baldwin officially gone.

FB_IMG_16365163376380525.jpg

That's a bit premature. These are all decorative panels \ cladding and could be out for paint and panel.

There's no boiler... wheel assemblies, controls... The tender is there but thats basically just a tank, so no external cladding.

Dreamworld have been pretty straight about things lately - and they're VERY aware of the Steam base in their community - i doubt they'd have killed it. My guess is 12+ months outside the shed without shelter or work has hurt the finish and they're polishing it up before reopening.

13 minutes ago, New display name said:

Looks like it's heading to the maintenance shed.

This is my thinking also - no way to get parts from the now defunct train shed to the maintenance shed except for the road that truck’s on. Keep in mind that everything there is trim or the tender and not the boiler itself. 

If there’s any doubt I encourage someone to ask the park about it? 

• Like 1

Some climbing fig to cover the wall, removing all the rock and replacing it with grass, adding in a few trees (Jacarandas would be amazing down that pathway) combined with some benches along the path would be great, dirt cheap and would elevate the space from being guest hostile and unpleasant into something people would take photos of. It'd also make that part of the train journey real pleasant in the spring.

Sidenote, I'd also widen the path where it deviates around the track and add a nice rest area between  Giant Drop & Steel Taipan's flyover. I'm thinking something like one of Australia Zoo's many rest areas. Eventually i'd pull through on Craig Davidson's plan, pull the entirety of spaghetti junction down and pop Giant Drop's queue inbetween where the train line will shape down and connect to the new path that runs along Steel Taipan's wall.

Edited by Slick
  • Like 5

• joz changed the title to Dreamworld's New Look Train