Dreamworld's New Look Train

themagician

On 22/07/2022 at 10:05 PM, Slick said:

Do folks remember the first time they saw or went on a steam train? And if so, why was it memorable?

Zig Zag Railway. Travelling from Sydney in an old Model T Ford to lithgow and it was absolutely freezing. Many of my family worked in the NSWGR over the years so we've always just 'been around' trains. Zig Zag I think is the most memorable just because it was so. fricking. cold.

On 23/07/2022 at 4:54 PM, Tricoart said:

I think the main area that needs a touch up is right as you leave, between Steel Taipan and Motocoaster. 

Yeah as mentioned i'm hopeful once GD is out of refurb, they'll add to that area a bit more. 

On 23/07/2022 at 10:29 PM, Tricoart said:

That's great then, I'll be interested to see what they do with the area, cause that was the only part I felt was lacking.

I personally think that all the ABC Kids buildings that face the railway need something to hide all those back of house areas. The backs of those buildings have been largely ignored for 2 decades because Tower hid them from view. Now that they're visible again, they look dreadful, rotting, and things like refrigeration units on the roof are just unsightly.

20 hours ago, red dragin said:

I never rode behind the Perry or Baldwin. Hopefully get the chance to fire the Perry one day. 

Baldwin had that awesome bark when the driver would lay on the regulator but would be a rough drive. 

Perry didn't have as much bark but would ride the rails smooth. I was lucky to take videos and photos of both. Locos were special. 

I've just caught up on this topic. 

The Baldwin IS back, the way we see it is the way it has been brought back. You can tell it would require some serious engineering work. I've seen people argue to change it to an Oil Burner or even run it once a month. It's just not economical at all. From the annual boiler inspections to the engineering certificates required to the crew changing and most importantly the cost of a crew. The lack of operational facilities (shed with all equipment) also means maintenance would be hard to complete. Even tho most maintenance would be outsourced to a third party. 

Yes, the train was nostalgic. Times have changed. We got a train, not the one some desired but the one we got does the same job as the steam engine.

It's sad, however, that people with no actual engineering understanding or hands-on experience over time tried to make sense of a situation that truly had no understanding of. The Baldwin could have returned. But when people say “It’ll explode” and that, well, people get cold feet cause rumours spread faster than truths. To operate those engines is no more dangerous than filling your car up with petrol at a petrol station. 

Many people lobbied (behind the scenes and abroad) to try and get it up and running. Engineers sourced, carried out inspections etc. The Baldwin couldn't run with the current set of carriages anyway as the “coupling” it uses is not a railway coupling at all. 

21 minutes ago, StingRay said:

But when people say “It’ll explode” and that, well, people get cold feet cause rumours spread faster than truths. To operate those engines is no more dangerous than filling your car up with petrol at a petrol station. 

This is probably the biggest point to make. A boiler can explode, catastrophically in fact, if mis-handled. Likewise, you'll go boom if you're cavalier with a bic lighter and a petrol bowser. The main issue is whether something is done right

But a steam boiler vs. a start\stop diesel is inherently safer, and I don't blame them taking the safe route.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

This is probably the biggest point to make. A boiler can explode, catastrophically in fact, if mis-handled. Likewise, you'll go boom if you're cavalier with a bic lighter and a petrol bowser. The main issue is whether something is done right

But a steam boiler vs. a start\stop diesel is inherently safer, and I don't blame for them taking the safe route.

At the end of the day safety is important. Off the top of my head here in NSW we haven’t had a catastrophic boiler explosion (failure) for some time. 

They don't essentially go BOOM like people think. Its a serious of issues that lead to them “priming”, essentially causing the throttle to stay wide open while the wheels make nothing but sparks. Usually, the cylinders destroy themselves beyond belief and the side rods get seriously damaged in the process. If a boiler runs low on water they have a device called a “fusible plug” that melts and dumps water all in the firebox causing the fire to pretty much go out. 

I think it's just a lack of education and understanding that causes the fear. My 9-year-old son can drive a miniature steam engine with no issue. He's been taught what to do and what not to do. I've been around steam engines my entire life. From riding on the footplate to working on the footplate for railway societies. I suppose my understanding is more than the general person would know. 

It would be nice to see a steam engine chuff its way around Dreamworld. It could happen in the future. Right now, I do think it's that high on the agenda for the management team. We asked for the train back after it wasn't going to come back, and we got the train back. All be it with a fair few changes. 

On 22/07/2022 at 10:05 PM, Slick said:

Do folks remember the first time they saw or went on a steam train? And if so, why was it memorable?

My first ever time was when my mum & nan first took me to Dreamworld in 1993, ever since that day I've allways had a huge passion for Steam trains, loved Thomas the tank, got to help volunteer on the Puffing billy railway when I was 18 to now finally working for Pacific National 🚂🤙🏼

20220724_230930.jpg

IMG_20220724_232317_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Slick said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the old train carriages (specifically the last open carriage) catered to those with wheelchairs?

The last carriage had a flip-over ramp that came out of the carriage to bridge the gap to the station. It had several manually operated gates and latches. You could fit several wheelchairs or strollers in the centre area, and it had elevated spots over the bogeys with seats and more space for strollers. 

So, yes, wheelchairs could be accommodated - but only a couple of them, and essentially shoved down the back end as an afterthought rather than being able to enjoy the same ride everyone else got. 

It was far more manual labour for the conductor too, and although small strollers could fit on the end of the normal carriages, many larger baby carriages and prams wouldn't, and would be the main passenger aboard the caboose.

• 3 weeks later...

I rode the Train today and the new carriages are definitely comfortable but if there’s a lot of people in one i could see them getting a bit squishy but besides that i think they’re good and the train is nicely presented.

As for the whole “banging your head” thing, the staff member was telling guests to watch out for that while boarding but i (6ft) think it’s pretty noticeable if you need to duck down or not, if you aren’t paying attention i can see why but besides that i think it’s pretty much just common sense🤷‍♀️

15 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

In general guests at a theme park will check their common sense at the door. You can't expect a guest to show common sense inside a theme park (current and former cast members know what I mean)

all guests were doing it even when at main street when there was no announcement for it, they only mentioned it at the Native Animals station🤷‍♀️

• 1 year later...

Awesome to see them add this. Small thing, but helps improve your day.

Im really hoping they plan on reopening the Billabong (Rivertown) Station when the land opens. Even though it’s not a massive walk, I think it will (again) help improve a guest day just by reducing some of the walking

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, themagician said:

Awesome to see them add this. Small thing, but helps improve your day.

Im really hoping they plan on reopening the Billabong (Rivertown) Station when the land opens. Even though it’s not a massive walk, I think it will (again) help improve a guest day just by reducing some of the walking

[DIPPIN DOTS WARNING] Asked the person operating the train about if there’ll be a third station near Jungle Rush once it returns to it’s full circuit (not mentioning Billabong station), they said there’s one there already &, as far as they know, the plan is to reuse that.

Edited by Tricoart

5 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Are they not just screens telling you where you are?

as the one at central station says “boarding at central station” and the one at wildlife says “boarding at Wildlife Station”?

it tells you where the train is, it says where they are boarding in those photos because i’m guessing they’re hoping on/off the train and took a photo.

• Like 1