How will the 2032 Olympics impact our theme parks?

themagician

Congratulations to Brisbane. We got the 2032 Olympics. Our theme parks without a doubt will be preparing for them and will begin to majorly invest to get them up to world class, with all new attractions, expansion, refurbishments, hotels.

What do we think our parks will do? What do you think they need to do? 

Edited by themagician

• themagician changed the title to How will the 2032 Olympics impact our theme parks?

Great news! It's exciting to know that there's an Olympics that I'll actually be able to remember this time around. I wouldn't be surprised if the local and even federal government committed some cash into promoting tourism both around Brisbane and the Gold Coast. The World's Fair saw some big additions to the area, so I'm sure the Olympics will be no exception.

However If there was ever a time for an international operator to get involved with a project in Australia, now would be the time. It'll bring a lot of international tourism and attention to our quant corner of the world!

• Like 1

Yeah we've discussed this, including the impact that the Sydney olympics had to parks. 

as far as the gold coast goes, I don't think we'll see a 'special' effort just for the games. They'll probably tweak timing on some planned additions to ensure they arrive in time for the games to be promoted as the 'new big thing' and they'll spruce things up a bit. Hopefully some of it sticks and they don't immediately slash and burn it once the flame goes out.

...I took a walk through Movie World yesterday post-hooray and it was quite depressing.

10 minutes ago, Park Fan said:

Maybe we will finally get an Australian Legoland. We know Merlin has long been interested in both the Australian market as well as growing the legoland brand. If there ever was gonna be a time to open an Australian Legoland it would be in the lead up to the Olympics.

If they have concerns now about meeting attendance goals to make a project like that viable (even discounting the impact of covid on travel) then i'm not sure how an Olympic Games that runs for 3 weeks will change that opinion. IMO, thats the type of decision that is made AFTER an Olympics if a trend of consistent and proven increases in international and domestic tourism post-games make the country a better proposition. 

• Like 4

Yes the games runs for 3 weeks, but as every other international event (edit: In Australia) has shown, people come for the event and stay for a holiday.

A hotel is also different to a investment in a ride. A hotel has futher financial benefits from other uses (confrences ect ect) and would attract a wider audience than a new ride.

Edited by Naazon