My Early memories of Wonderland

imperial

Do you remember the very first commercial for Wonderland? There may of been 2 but i can remember in one of them it started in a bedroom of 2 children and a song started........"There's a world I like to live in, A world I'd like to see, where's theres too much fun for everyone, thats where I wana be....." there was another verse after that, then it went onto the main part where it sung...... "Wouldn't it be wonderful if the world was Wonderland. During the ad, the children left thier bedroom at night and entered into Wonderland where they meet one of the Street Ballon sellers. (Remember the ballon sellers who used to wear the frilly PJ's type uniform) From there I can only remember generic daytime shots of the attractions. I'm sure there was a shot of the Snowy River Rampage and a family having a picnic right along side the rivers edge (as if that was allowed) Anyway at the very end of the ad the camera did an arial shot panning away as the bush beast went around the first bend after the drop. It was filmed at dusk and looked quit nice. On the bush beast structure it had the orignal Wonderland logo with the map of Australia and the sailing ship flying. The other ad I can only remember the very end when a pirate came on and enthusiasticly said..."Your've got to do it!" and I'm sure his boat flew off and became the Wonderland logo. If anyone can remember the entrance to Hana Babra land was in the location of the existing wildlife park along with HMS Endevour. Please share your early memories........ PS. Wonderland used to sell a book when it first opened all about the theme Park. My best friend had one but now lost. It contained construction shots of Bush Beast and other attractions. If anyone has it, please scan some pics!

8) Johno here 8) When I was 7 years old I saw Wonderland Sydney's Space Probe Ad and I still remember it till this day, I remember a room most likely the ride loading bay but they had different Space Probe carriages they looked nothing like the really good ones we have today probably just display carriages for media photography the carriages had no feet dangling just flat behind your legs though your feet could raise out in the air and the harnesses were a sharp V shape just like this V as well as V buckle seatbelts 1 up through the middle and 2 came around the side which buckle into the middle belt. The ad had a kind of round tank with flashing wires in it and behind the tank you saw a big moving shadow on the wall (probably the family/people running) so then the family/people ran to the carriage and then I think you saw the carriage drop, and that's all I can remember., sorry!

8) Johno here 8) When I was 7 years old I saw Wonderland Sydney's Space Probe Ad and I still remember it till this day, I remember a room most likely the ride loading bay but they had different Space Probe carriages they looked nothing like the really good ones we have today probably just display carriages for media photography the carriages had no feet dangling just flat behind your legs though your feet could raise out in the air and the harnesses were a sharp V shape just like this V as well as V buckle seatbelts 1 up through the middle and 2 came around the side which buckle into the middle belt. The ad had a kind of round tank with flashing wires in it and behind the tank you saw a big moving shadow on the wall (probably the family/people running) so then the family/people ran to the carriage and then I think you saw the carriage drop, and that's all I can remember., sorry!

I also remember that ad. There was aslo a show channel 7 did on the making of Space probe. it was filmed because people had won a comp to be the first to ride. It was hosted by the guy who hosts sydney weekend on Ch7. During the show they showed heaps of stuff including the making of the commercial. In the commercial the family on the ride did drop but in real life they were pulled horisontaly across a big tube. They never really fell at all. The commercial also featured a helicopter with a spotlight flying around the tube.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the "There's a world I'd like to live in, and a world I'd like to see.......Where there's too much fun for everyone, that's where I'd like to be.......Wouldn't it be wonderful...Walking hand in hand.....Wouldn't it be wonderful if every boy, girl, woman and man....something something....Wouldn't it be wonderful if the world was Wonderland" ads. I must've only been about 5 or 6 when those were on but I can still remember that jingle.....shows what an impact a catchy song has doesn't it. They still used to play it when the park shut up until a few years ago. I also remember (also around that time).....the "Seven fifty after five all on a Saturday night". $7.50 after five ads. I got the ad from when the Demon first opened on tape somewhere. It involves a bunch of kids getting on the Demon at the station with a voice over saying "The Demon is now at Australia's Wonderland.....It's the biggest, fastest rollercoaster in the Southern Hemisphere." There were shots of some creepy looking guy behind the controls and when the train reached the top of the lift hill he would hit a big red button and the train would drop with lots of screams heard. It'd go through the loops and back into the stations where the girl riding would turn to her boyfriend and say "So what did you think?". He then turns to her with glowing red demon eyes and says in some demon type voice "I think I've been to hell and back". She screams and they show a really nice night time shot of the ride nicely back-lit. The Demon opened on Friday the 13th of September. I only remember this because it was my birthday. Does anyone remember the slides near goldrush as well.....before the beach? And the paddle boats in Hanna Barbera? (I never got to ride either :( )

• 2 weeks later...

I too remember the original Wonderland TV commercial. In fact I still have a copy of the original Park brochure/map with all of the original attractions. My first ride would always be the 'Sea Deamon' (now Endevour) which was located after a tree tunnel and before the rainbow arch where the Wildlife park now sits. I remember arriving at the park one day to find the ride gone and one staff member informed us that it had been removed for goog. Imagine our surprise when later in the day we made our way down to Goldrush only to ride the Ride in a new home with a new name! I can remember the park being all new and in great condition with lots of great rides...it is very sad to have watched it degrade into what it is today. A quite pathetic attempt to imidate the great parks of the Gold Coast.