Thunderbolt Loops

T-bone

That "close to 200" Thread, and the post richard posted reminded me of something to ask you guys. Did Dreamworld end up keeping the Thunderbolt Loops and make a memorial, or in fact did they keep them at all? Or did they take them to the tip? Becuase i remember they were talking about making a memorial somwhere in the park that had a train carraige with the loop behind it saying "R.I.P Thunderbolt. Without you, we wouldn't be where we are today". Or something like that.

I like the idea of putting it near the Claw, or near the cyclone, when I went to dreamworld all I remember seeing all the time was them 'big' imposing loops sticking out from behind the Thunderbolt entrance, without them there it must seem kinda empty, stick em out somewhere near the Claw, I most certainly agree.

What a tacky idea. It reminds me of an English airport that has on the grass next to the runway (and I'm not joking) the shell of a plane missing its wings and back section. Why? Maybe there's a storey behind it but I don't know about it so it just looks tacky and a bit ominous. Having the loops of thunderbolt kept would be like SW having Kanook stuffed and put out the front of Polar Bear Shores. Or MW putting the Studio Tour Trams in the middle of main street. Something small (if you must), but don't go crazy in trying to make yourself tacky.

It reminds me of an English airport that has on the grass next to the runway (and I'm not joking) the shell of a plane missing its wings and back section.  Why?  Maybe there's a storey behind it but I don't know about it so it just looks tacky and a bit ominous.
Here is the story behind that. They actually have the shell of a plane at most airports (major ones anyway). The reason? Fire fighting training. They set the thing on fire and practice drills on it. They try to put out the fire and in some cases there have 'people' (for those with sub-par intelligence they are actually dummies) inside the cabin of the aircraft and the firies (fire-fighters) have to go in and rescue them. It's definitely not a piece of tacky theming (why an airport would theme its runway area is beyond me anyway) but a valuable piece of training equipment. "The Bus is now leaving for Metung Fire Station, Victoria"

The more I think about it, the tackier it seems to leave bits and pieces of Thunderbolt around the park... True the ride was a landmark for some time, but if they are going to put some form of memorial I hope it's subtle... Although, I don't know why I'm worrying....It's not like Dreamworld to place things in strange places ;);)

I can't believe anyone would want anything as a tribute of Thunderbolt. It was an amusement ride, and a very very poor one at that. Really, how would Dreamworld, or its guests for that matter, benefit from some hideously tacky monument to a ride everyone wanted to see destroyed? What would it achieve?
What so because you dont like it, it isnt a good idea? There are people out there that did like it, and i am one of them! You dont seem to like many things in the Aus theme parks or what they do, Maybe you should be come an American. Anyway just thought

scott, you're seemingly fairly new to theme parks. Did you ever ride Thunderbolt, out of curiousity? Tony Braxton-Smith, Dreamworld's former CEO said to me once a few years ago (when they first started investigating what to do with Thunderbolt) something along the lines of, "We know Thunderbolt is a rough ride. It always has been." Signs in the ride's queue and in the station said "Some riders may consider this a rough ride." - something I've never seen at any other park. In 1995 a hefty sum was spent upgrading the trains in a drastic attempt to improve smoothness of the ride. willsy - what you've said is wrong. I just don't see the purpose of living in the past, "worshipping" a ride that really wasn't very good. I didn't say, "I don't like it, so nothing should be done," or anything to that nature. I asked how Dreamworld or its guests would at all benefit from this. At least if you're going to respond to me, and quote what I said verbatim (which is totally unnecessary when it's the post above), make your point relevant to something I said. Suddenly to have an interest in theme parks, you must like everything you see? Yes, I focus on the bad points a lot. Why? It's a heck of a lot more interesting than threads like "Why I love Dreamworld", or "Why Thunderbolt Rocked" or that sort of crap.