Movie World, Dreamworld and Sea World - January 2021

Version 6

Hi Guys

Family of 4 planning a 1 week trip to Gold Coast in the January 2022 school holidays (borders permitting). Primarily for 3 theme parks above.

Until recently, we had been spoiled with being able to travel during school terms, meaning we avoided the school holiday rush. But that is no longer the case. We were in the parks in the April 2019 school holidays (right around Anzac Day) and found them really crowded with long wait times.

So, we are thinking of traveling during the last week of the NSW January School Holidays (which is when QLD students are already back at school). Are the theme parks likely to be busy at a time when NSW has school holidays but not QLD?

Thanks in advance.

Having visited Movie World when QLD students had their first week back at the beginning of 2019 (visiting from Sydney), the park was relatively quiet.

Having also visited Dreamworld when QLD students had their first week back at the beginning of 2020 (just moved to the Gold Coast), the park was dead.

Next year I'm assuming (if border restrictions permit) that the parks will again be quiet. Given that majority of visitors have already left or have returned to school.

This thread after like two posts:

I'm not the only one who wants a Simpsons fighter by Arc System Works,  right? | ResetEra

Anyway, welcome to Parkz!

I've been during the school holidays and it's not the worst. The parks do a decent job is balancing the crowds by increasing their operations with more staff and trains on most rides. Honestly there have been times where the waits have been longer with less people because on attractions such as Superman they had like two people doing unload and dispatch. They'd walk between each block and no joke it took about 10 minutes to run each cycle. 

I do think your best bet are those final weeks during school holidays. I find that generally most people have concluded their travels and they're using their last little bit of holidays to make sure they're ready for the year so its your best chance in my opinion.

In regards to your question about QLD and NSW, from what I can see they generally go back at the same time:
https://www.nsw.gov.au/living-in-nsw/school-holidays
https://education.qld.gov.au/about-us/calendar/term-dates

Considering when you're going I think it's likely to make little difference.

Also considering it'll be summer I reckon you're probably going to be fanging for a water park. My suggestion is try and bundle Dreamworld + White Water World together instead of doing Movie World + Wet'n'Wild. Movie World is generally harder to get done in one day and getting over to Wet'n'Wild is a pretty decent walk in the summer sun. White Water World and Dreamworld usually see lesser crowds so you can easily hop between the two. 

Feel free to ask any questions! 

• Like 2