Are we starting to see the decline of VRTP?

Vidgamer

If its a particular talent (like leather painting or caricatures) then I don't mind them getting contractors in to sell their product as a 'thing you wouldn't normally get just anywhere' but I really dislike the chain joints providing a service that the park could provide just as easily if they could actually be bothered. 

It really dismays me that we're seeing the term 'local westfield' bandied about so much more these days - but the boost truck.... *shudder*

15 minutes ago, Dom said:

image.thumb.png.26934f64fe8e5a6560f385e05fd2d95f.png   No description available.

There are some interesting things happening in our parks at the moment.

I don't hate the showbag truck at Dreamworld because it's on brand for their county fair event, but slapping a boost truck on Main Street in Movie World for no reason is incredibly poor show. 

Tacky as f*ck showbag stall from some toothless Nerang redneck is NOT on brand for how they pitched the Spring Fair.

https://www.dreamworld.com.au/what-s-on/spring-county-fair/

Tell me how is that on brand?

I don't love the Boost Truck or where it's located in the park and neither have any place in a theme park but you have to do some serious mental gymnastics to pass off Dreamworld's over Movie World's.

1 hour ago, Dom said:

image.thumb.png.26934f64fe8e5a6560f385e05fd2d95f.png   No description available.

There are some interesting things happening in our parks at the moment.

I don't hate the showbag truck at Dreamworld because it's on brand for their county fair event, but slapping a boost truck on Main Street in Movie World for no reason is incredibly poor show. 

How far have our theme park standards fallen when Royal Show-level trucks can just be plopped in like this? The MW example is more egregious as it is a big green truck that breaks the presentation of main street but DW's truck is still tacky. LPS sells showbags in its own dedicated building so why can't DW do that in the main gift shop?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MrLukeCarroll said:

Both parks have the ability to sell these types of things in themed storefronts/food outlets but instead bring in an external company to do so

I know its been a while, but the park did used to sell showbags in the exit market hall. It honestly was pretty dingy and I prefer the parkway - even if it doesn't get used anymore for what was intended. 

I'm prepared to cut slack for the showy trucks on the basis that some of their biggest sources of income for the year have been destroyed by the pandemic, and by permitting them to temporarily set up in the park as part of an event in which it suits the overall theme - i'm going to give them a very low level pass, purely for helping their cousins in industry.

Janine Allis' Boost Juice Empire, on the other hand, can fuck right off. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slick said:

They’ve been putting F&B trucks for 7+ years now. Here’s an almost identical truck setup for Fright Nights in 2014. 

3A9A1225-0C54-4E22-9C65-04E4043C31E2.jpeg

73573BB5-6DC7-4622-AB69-A886B04B6A3E.jpeg

This is a good example of when it's done right. The trucks are themed appropriately to the event and isn't some random Boost Juice van plonked on the street or a Royal Show truck with stock graphics plonked in the entrance plaza. A custom graphic on the DW truck would have been nice, for example. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Slick said:

They’ve been putting F&B trucks for 7+ years now. Here’s an almost identical truck setup for Fright Nights in 2014. 

3A9A1225-0C54-4E22-9C65-04E4043C31E2.jpeg

73573BB5-6DC7-4622-AB69-A886B04B6A3E.jpeg

Food trucks at a night event and a boost truck stuck in the middle of main street during daily operations aren't really the same thing. 

Edited by Tinter

2 hours ago, Baconjack said:

This is a good example of when it's done right.

2 hours ago, Tinter said:

stuck in the middle of main street during daily operations

242124177_1198961117247625_1039986216396575624_n.thumb.jpg.0ee8b4f2098afbb8430a166e7e8546b8.jpg

5 hours ago, Dom said:

However I'm interested to know your mental gymnastics as to how a Boost Juice food truck in the middle of Movie World's turn-of-the-century US Main Street is any better than Dreamworld's

Actually, Dreamworld is turn of the century, meanwhile, Movie World is themed as a set which is not dissimilar to Universal's backlot, that is why there is big fake movie lights on top of the facades. If you were to apply the most literal idea of that premise, movie sets often have food trucks to feed crews. The showbag trailers are disconnected from everything else County Fair and look to sit opposite claw. By your own applied logic, Boost Juice is more at home than those gross showbag trailers.

6 hours ago, Dom said:

almost every single one of your posts seems to be a Dreamworld bash. 

But am I wrong? Dreamworld apologists will decry Movie World for putting a food and beverage van where there's been food and beverage fans while they are also super silent on the above abomination.

Speaking of abominations, that watermark.

17 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I'm prepared to cut slack for the showy trucks on the basis that some of their biggest sources of income for the year have been destroyed by the pandemic, and by permitting them to temporarily set up in the park as part of an event in which it suits the overall theme - i'm going to give them a very low level pass, purely for helping their cousins in industry.

^I'm just going to drop this here, in case it was overlooked.

Location: Boost is occupying prime real estate in the middle of main street. Showbags are occupying a dead zone behind the main street plaza.

Precedent: Yes! Movie world has placed some VERY well themed Ambulance vans selling bloodbags and food stalls with appropriate signage out the front. Boost isn't this. There's not even an attempt at trying to theme it as 'on location catering van at movie set'. Dreamworld have sold showbags before. This looks better than when Dreamworld did it.

Theme: The overall "fit" for the country fair can accommodate showbags. There is nothing in main street that screams 'Australian Smoothie Bar'

I've been very clear i'm no Dreamworld fan boy. I don't think either of them belongs in the park, but as I said above i'd cut slack to the showies purely because they've had a really bad two years - but I still stand by the fact that out of the two, Boost is the worst look and fit, and the showbags at least kinda do.

• Like 4

Back on topic.

I don't actually believe either Park is on the decline. 
We've always had stagnant periods in the parks. 
I do bet once all the new hotness is open we'll be just as excited for the parks as we were in 2017.

With the Olympics coming in 11 years I bet both companies will bring some thing big.

I personally am more excited for DW as those guys deserve (In a way) their moment in the sun again.

Just my two cents. 

but it pays to be have patience as an Aussie Thoosie  

2 hours ago, Daedra said:

Back on topic.

I don't actually believe either Park is on the decline. 
We've always had stagnant periods in the parks. 
I do bet once all the new hotness is open we'll be just as excited for the parks as we were in 2017.

With the Olympics coming in 11 years I bet both companies will bring some thing big.

I personally am more excited for DW as those guys deserve (In a way) their moment in the sun again.

Just my two cents. 

but it pays to be have patience as an Aussie Thoosie  

I agree, big things are definitely going to be hopefully in the near future for all of the Gold Coast theme parks