Are we starting to see the decline of VRTP?

Vidgamer

15 hours ago, Levithian said:

Can't see new owners, who are essentially an investment firm, allowing their parks to go backwards, losing themselves money when they eventually come to sell. It's literally what they do, buy, increase the value of the holdings, then sell at a profit. 

I mean, I agree with you, but at the same time, investment firms don't have to actually improve something to sell it for a profit. You can just shuffle the books to change the value and voila! Take a look at Dick Smith Electronics.

On 20/09/2021 at 11:56 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Why?

Because a ride has been abandoned at Movieworld for 2 years not working, they haven't had a new attraction in 4 years. Seaworld construction of the new Leviathan is delayed for quite some time, I don't think it will be open this year or this summer at this rate. The Steel Taipan at Dreamworld is a much better and modern roller coaster than the one Seaworld wants to make. 

30 minutes ago, themeparkman said:

The Steel Taipan at Dreamworld is a much better and modern roller coaster than the one Seaworld wants to make. 

That’s entirely based on taste. 
I’m excited for both but Leviathan has callbacks to my youth and Bush Beast at Wonderland so if I had a choice of which I’m most looking forward to, it’s Leviathan every day as I haven’t ridden a wooden coaster in the best part of 20 years 

• Like 1

I'd take Leviathan over Steel Taipan any day of the week but that's because I think Wooden roller coasters are more unique nowadays. But as much as people might like to make it out to be, this isn't a contest. Assuming the parks can do the right thing by guests and enthusiasts alike all the GC theme parks will be around for a while yet.

9 hours ago, themeparkman said:

Because a ride has been abandoned at Movieworld for 2 years not working, they haven't had a new attraction in 4 years. Seaworld construction of the new Leviathan is delayed for quite some time, I don't think it will be open this year or this summer at this rate. The Steel Taipan at Dreamworld is a much better and modern roller coaster than the one Seaworld wants to make. 

Oh my young padawan. 

Dreamworld let the Eureka Mountain Mine Train stand, not operating, from 2006 to 2017. The motivation to do ANYTHING with it was probably born out of the loss of Thunder River and the need to either restore it to operating condition (a ludicrous concept by park management) or to demolish it (as the rest of Goldrush needed to be anyway). 

As for not having a new attraction in 4 years - bear in mind that

• two of those years was in a pandemic, and the parks suffered numerous shutdowns in that time
  • Movie World is part of a group - and as long as i've followed these parks, the parks have usually taken it in turns to get something new (although Wet N Wild suffered for a few years from lack of attention)

BOTH of the other 'ride' parks in the chain - SW and WNW are seeing new attractions constructed this year. Atlantis was supposed to be finished last year, and WnW was this year's plan. Which means MW's next attraction may not be far off (although do bear in mind we've seen a lot of refurb work going on too - RoadRunner is about to open with a new train and ride system).

Steel Taipan Vs. Leviathan - putting aside any issues or delays with construction - just comparing the actual ride that will eventually open - 'much better' and 'modern' aren't really any sort of justification. Wooden coasters are being built every year around the world. They are traditionally older technology but that doesn't mean the current rides being built are old.

Each have their own points of difference. I think it will be a very hard thing for even the coast's most astute enthusiasts to categorically state one is so much better than the other - just 'different' and 'in their own way'. It does remain to be seen however - so passing judgment now, whatever the outcome, is foolish.

Anyhow - with all that said - I don't see how you can justify that MW will be declining in 10 years time, simply for the reasons you state. In the past 5 years, Dreamworld killed four people, and removed (or will soon remove) 7 or more attractions, and have only installed two new ones, and yet, with that track record, you're saying Dreamworld is on the rise, and this is apparently and ostensibly because of Steel Taipan? One coaster does not a good park make. 

I'll leave you with this - 10 years is a long time. 

10 years ago - Movie World opened Green Lantern. 

Also 10 years ago - Dreamworld opened Buzzsaw. 

• Like 2

All theme park chains have their down periods. Even the big guys like Six Flags and Cedar Fair.

Movie world can't spit out DC Rivals level attractions every year or 2. Plus they have the added challenge of keeping 3 other parks fresh. 

VRTP are fine. They most likely saving their pennies for a big attraction before Brisbane 2032

Village don't need to make an announcement! They haven't even built it yet! Page 47 of the Village Roadshow Theme Park Manual states:

Article 4:20.69 -

Part I Do not acknowledge any existence of a new attraction - possible, real or partly constructed - until such time as the ride has begun testing. At this time, notify marketing so that they can make a half-arsed attempt at publicity, and ignore any wasted opportunities over the preceding 18 months.

Part II: Any prior mention of the attraction by media outlets or online fansites should be ignored.

Part III: If you have previously mentioned an attraction - such as on billboards or by commissioning scale models, ensure they are as far from reality as possible. Theming is only required for boardroom approval, and is not required to enhance the guest experience.

^If you laughed, you're welcome. If you didn't laugh - scroll on. Nobody has to take life that seriously. 

In all seriousness though, you're probably right - Atlantis wasn't planned to go this far on, but they still appear to be aiming for a summer opening, so if there was to be an announcement, pushing it back 6 months so you don't overshadow your massive (long overdue) investment makes a lot of sense. 

I just can't believe how many people are shooting down Movie World, when it is in fact the park with the most recently opened new coaster on the GC, just because they aren't building one at the same time as the other parks that haven't added a new coaster in twice as long.

10 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Oh my young padawan. 

Dreamworld let the Eureka Mountain Mine Train stand, not operating, from 2006 to 2017. The motivation to do ANYTHING with it was probably born out of the loss of Thunder River and the need to either restore it to operating condition (a ludicrous concept by park management) or to demolish it (as the rest of Goldrush needed to be anyway). 

As for not having a new attraction in 4 years - bear in mind that

• two of those years was in a pandemic, and the parks suffered numerous shutdowns in that time
  • Movie World is part of a group - and as long as i've followed these parks, the parks have usually taken it in turns to get something new (although Wet N Wild suffered for a few years from lack of attention)

BOTH of the other 'ride' parks in the chain - SW and WNW are seeing new attractions constructed this year. Atlantis was supposed to be finished last year, and WnW was this year's plan. Which means MW's next attraction may not be far off (although do bear in mind we've seen a lot of refurb work going on too - RoadRunner is about to open with a new train and ride system).

Steel Taipan Vs. Leviathan - putting aside any issues or delays with construction - just comparing the actual ride that will eventually open - 'much better' and 'modern' aren't really any sort of justification. Wooden coasters are being built every year around the world. They are traditionally older technology but that doesn't mean the current rides being built are old.

Each have their own points of difference. I think it will be a very hard thing for even the coast's most astute enthusiasts to categorically state one is so much better than the other - just 'different' and 'in their own way'. It does remain to be seen however - so passing judgment now, whatever the outcome, is foolish.

Anyhow - with all that said - I don't see how you can justify that MW will be declining in 10 years time, simply for the reasons you state. In the past 5 years, Dreamworld killed four people, and removed (or will soon remove) 7 or more attractions, and have only installed two new ones, and yet, with that track record, you're saying Dreamworld is on the rise, and this is apparently and ostensibly because of Steel Taipan? One coaster does not a good park make. 

I'll leave you with this - 10 years is a long time. 

10 years ago - Movie World opened Green Lantern. 

Also 10 years ago - Dreamworld opened Buzzsaw. 

And after 10 years, the one that is still standing is the one that tried to yeet people and the one that is closing is at the park that actually yeeted people 

8 hours ago, Im Hungry said:

Bear in mind, the next Movie World attraction was aiming for a 2023 opening. The announcement should've been at the end of this year but may now be some time next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the announcement was pushed back in benefit of Sea World having the spotlight.

I hope it gets announced either Xmas this year or early 2022