Get in with a too-good-to-be-true $50 annual pass to Dreamworld before Steel Taipan opens

Parkz News

Get in with a too-good-to-be-true $50 annual pass to Dreamworld before Steel Taipan opens

With the hotly anticipated Steel Taipan just months away, Dreamworld and Destination Gold Coast have unveiled a new deal for local residents that will give twelve months entry to Dreamworld for an amazing $50 to Gold Coast residents.

Click here to continue reading

Hot Tip, it's only $50 off the Transaction. So be sure to buy multiple passes individually rather than together to get each pass for only $50 :D

https://dgc.experienceoz.com.au/en/gold-coast/dreamworld-locals-annual-pass-play-money-rewards?fbclid=IwAR3qgpcw5wcEzv8DcSY35es5IIr1yiZSfCs_iAsWiefFGm0p93eBHUIY18I 

;) you'll need a few email accounts

Edited by rappa

Some of the advertising i've seen around today on this is a bit misleading - but they do eventually point out that it also only applies to residents of the gold coast postcodes.

Honestly at this price point it would have convinced me to get back onboard as I don't think it's worth full price right now, but despite living closer to Dreamworld than half of the gold coast, i'm not a 'local' for this particular special price.

I get that it is offered by an alternate organisation, but being posted by the park's own socials didn't make that very clear until it rejected my postcode. The terms of the pass you scroll through specifically state that the locals pass is valid for QLD residents, only to reject your postcode further down the transaction. 

We were set to buy 4, and with plans to stay on the coast at the end of October lining up with their Halloween event, we were already discussing attending that, what extras to buy and how long it had been since our last visit that there was a whole bunch of things my 5 year old could now ride - and now we're back to square one with zero interest in paying full price for their current offering.

I realise this is a certain level of entitlement, but its the feeling of being mislead with a 'gotcha' hidden further down the track that pisses me off.

8 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Some of the advertising i've seen around today on this is a bit misleading - but they do eventually point out that it also only applies to residents of the gold coast postcodes.

Honestly at this price point it would have convinced me to get back onboard as I don't think it's worth full price right now, but despite living closer to Dreamworld than half of the gold coast, i'm not a 'local' for this particular special price.

I get that it is offered by an alternate organisation, but being posted by the park's own socials didn't make that very clear until it rejected my postcode. The terms of the pass you scroll through specifically state that the locals pass is valid for QLD residents, only to reject your postcode further down the transaction. 

We were set to buy 4, and with plans to stay on the coast at the end of October lining up with their Halloween event, we were already discussing attending that, what extras to buy and how long it had been since our last visit that there was a whole bunch of things my 5 year old could now ride - and now we're back to square one with zero interest in paying full price for their current offering.

I realise this is a certain level of entitlement, but its the feeling of being mislead with a 'gotcha' hidden further down the track that pisses me off.

I think the reason people are getting confused is that the promotion run by Destination Gold Coast is literally called "Gold Coasters' Play Money" but Dreamworld also has a completely unconnected ride called The Gold Coaster they're using as the main promotional image for the campaign.

The terms may have been updated but for me they say "Local Annual Passes for Play Money Rewards applies to Gold Coast residents only" before any talk of QLD residency. I don't think it's fair to get mad at Dreamworld for this promotion their post about it starts with "Gold Coasters, it's time to grab yourself a Dreamworld's Locals Annual Pass for only $50".

45 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Even without a deal, wouldn't you still get a $99 pass to try Steel Taipan?

While they have their 'full price' tickets priced above $99, I still think of $99 as "full price" when it comes to dreamworld because they've done nothing to increase the value - only the cost.

I think i've been very clear over the past couple of weeks that ST probably isn't enough to bring me back to the park right now:

On 06/09/2021 at 8:07 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Right now the park's biggest suffering is it's lineup due to years of neglect and a lack of planning and doing the 'bare minimum'.

To answer the original question - i'm already on record that ST is probably not enough to bring me back to the park with everything else that is closed or otherwise hobbled. I will likely not buy tickets to Dreamworld until some of my Sydney friends are allowed back in the state, and i'll probably buy only then because they'll want to go. 

As I said above, the $50 price tag easily tipped the scales over to make the decision easy, but back at $100 - that's $400 to shell out essentially to ride ONE ride - and not everyone in our group can ride it.

And sure, i'm a theme park fan, no doubt. I'm keen to ride it. I just can't justify it solely to ride it first. Buzzsaw lasted 10 years. I'm sure Taipan will still be there in 6 months to a year when the offering (or the company) improves.

I dunno how you can complain in other posts that they have been giving away the gate, but $99 for a pass is too expensive.

Even with some rides gone, $99 for a an AP is pretty good, and its still better than Adventure World.

Honestly surprised ST isnt enough to bring you back? Why not? Blue fire is fucking awesome and you're missing out by not riding the only new coaster on the GC in 4 years (And the most recent Multi looper since Abyss in 2013)

I mean I'd probably pay $99 for a one day ticket if APs were not available, that's how good Blue Fire was.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Gazza said:

Honestly surprised ST isnt enough to bring you back? Why not? Blue fire is fucking awesome and you're missing out by not riding the only new coaster on the GC in 4 years (And the most recent Multi looper since Abyss in 2013)

I mean I'd probably pay $99 for a one day ticket if APs were not available, that's how good Blue Fire was.

Because i'm looking for more than a 2 minute ride for my $100. (cue @New display name in 3... 2...).

Because the number of times i've visited ANY park in the past 2 years, I can count on one hand, and while I pay by the month for Village, i'm not prepared to dump $400+ to take my household to Dreamworld just so that I can ride one rollercoaster.

I'm happy to wait. it's not going anywhere. Why rush?

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Because i'm looking for more than a 2 minute ride for my $100. (cue @New display name in 3... 2...).

Anything I say here will just get removed, so I will leave it alone.😀

2 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

i'm not prepared to dump $400+ to take my household to Dreamworld just so that I can ride one rollercoaster.

Don't take your household.  Nothing better than doing every coaster on the coast in one day.  You can even sneak in a counter lunch (beer) at the boat house.

• Like 1

I derive more enjoyment from going to a park with friends and family than I do from any rollercoaster. I'd rather spend a day walking the park in good company and not riding a single thing than to go by myself. 

And for the last time - at the current price offering, dreamworld does not offer me enough to make me want to buy tickets and come back as they do not offer enough for me and my family to warrant a return. It will, eventually, I am sure of that. AND i'm sure that Metal Snake will be there when we finally do.

I will probably visit before then to go with friends visiting from out of town, once this border shit is done with, but in the interim I have no desire to go dropping a wad, or leaving everyone else behind to go by myself, that's my choice, my prerogative, my opinion and nobody else has to like it or agree with it. The ONLY thing that will change my mind at present is a reduction to the overall cost of entry. Once they've fixed up a few things and improved their offering, i'm sure that will change.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, MrLukeCarroll said:

VRTP seems to be using very similar wording for their promotion of the deal, wonder if it's coming from ExperienceOZ to just have "Gold Coaster" somewhere in the post as the only eligibility statement.

I believe it is funded by the Gold Coast City Council and that is why it's only for local residence.

19 minutes ago, GoGoBoy said:

It's funded by Gold Coast Tourism / Destination Gold Coast

Gold Coast City Council put in the 3 million..

60,000 vouchers @ $50.00 a voucher = 3 million.

"The City of Gold Coast, together with Destination Gold Coast, have today launched their $3 million Play Money Rewards program, with the vouchers giving locals $50 off an array of Gold Coast tours and attractions, accommodation, dining and retail offerings."  (GCB)

Tommy Tate "We are investing $3 million into a ‘buy local and play local’ rewards program to stimulate local spending in the Gold Coast’s tourism, dining, retail, arts and culture businesses. There are 60,000 rewards of $50 each on offer".

Edited by New display name