No more charlft at Adventure World

I like chairlifts for a chill out session and just to enjoy views of the park.. As much as I can marathon thrill rides, it's always nice to have a break with your partner and enjoy a leisurely lift ride. AV had a decent one over the water attractions area and a nice view of Abyss. (On a side note, is Abyss ever going to get lap bars)?

Bummer really, I wonder why also. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pazzap said:

(On a side note, is Abyss ever going to get lap bars)?

Bummer really, I wonder why also. 

I doubt it.The Abyss has become an incredibly rough not so enjoyable ride. Line's never longer than 20 minutes, even in Summer. Lap bars may help with the headbanging, but its' realistically still going to ride like shit, i don't think the trains are designed for lap bars (nor would it be fun going through that 4.5 g dive loop wouldn't be fun with your legs tied down) and it doesn't make sense to reinvest in a coaster with such low ridership.

3 hours ago, Aw hype said:

I doubt it.The Abyss has become an incredibly rough not so enjoyable ride. Line's never longer than 20 minutes, even in Summer. Lap bars may help with the headbanging, but its' realistically still going to ride like shit, I don't think the trains are designed for lap bars (nor would it be fun going through that 4.5 g dive loop wouldn't be fun with your legs tied down) and it doesn't make sense to reinvest in a coaster with such low ridership.

It's become even worse over the last four years? Sigh. We get one of the top 5 Euro Coaster layouts in the world and one of the roughest at the same time. I did mean all  new cars though but I didn't know it was overall unpopular,  I only went once 4 years ago. 

2 hours ago, pazzap said:

It's become even worse over the last four years? Sigh. We get one of the top 5 Euro Coaster layouts in the world and one of the roughest at the same time. I did mean all  new cars though but I didn't know it was overall unpopular,  I only went once 4 years ago. 

Yeah mate it's like being a rock in a vacuum cleaner. A lot closer to unpleasant than it is enjoyable. It wasn't super smooth when it first opened and has got much worse as times gone on.

• Thanks 1

Geez we have gone OT, and totally my fault (sorry OP), but what the heck happened Adventure World? Gerstlauer? Sigh. Even the one time I rode it, all I wished the entire time was that it had the lap bar trains as I banged my ears. But now I actually don't want to go back to ride it again if it's even rougher now. I appreciate the heads up. I wanted to try the lap bar pendulum which hadn't quite opened yet, but not worth it to go to AW for just one ride. 

4 hours ago, iwerks said:

Are we talking about the same Abyss? You guys never went on Arkham Asylum or the Gold Coaster?

Abyss is better when sitting in the back row or riding first thing in the morning. I thought it operated better last season than it had the year before.

When I rode GC it was called cyclone, last time at DW it was called HWS and I had no intention of queuing for it. I banged my head and I considered it "rough", say compared to Corkscrew (Sea Viper), but no where near as  bad as some other Arrow Coasters I have ridden, simply because it's so slow and boring that it actually isn't THAT violent.

I smashed my ear really hard on Abyss. Hard. I didn't find it flat our rough but that constant rattle and I got a headache. It just didn't track all that well for a modern coaster, and I don't know if it's the cars or the track. I also need to be honest that I am tall and clear the restraints, my neck was hunched down looking at different things so it was my fault. It still was painful on my neck and shoulders though once I straightened myself up.

Arkham Asylum I only rode as LW, never with the new trains, and I continued to torture myself on the day I was there and bash my head as I thought it was a great coaster (back then we didn't even have things like Superman let alone Rivals LOL). Last time I went to MW the queue was too long so I skipped it. 

I mean we can all tolerate different things and are built differently. Abyss is a rough ride, but at least it has a payoff with that airtime hill, the jojo roll and a great drop and pacing :)

But all these are nothing compared to things like Batman and Robin the Chiller (RIP) before they went to lap bars. I actually had a bleeding ear and went to SFGA first aid (2001) then the next year it was suddenly an amazing ride, albeit with very tight trains for taller folk. Desperado in Vegas was the roughest hyper I ever rode, I have been on it 23 times but I learned to ride it defensively lol. There are very rough steel coasters out there, and yes, compared to THAT, Abyss is not. But Abyss is too rough for an almost 8YO ride. Sorry but it is. That said, now you have wanted to make me ride it again LOL. Peace.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, iwerks said:

Are we talking about the same Abyss? You guys never went on Arkham Asylum or the Gold Coaster?

Yeah but shouldn't an 8 year old coaster be doing far better than a 20 year old second hand and 25 year old second train coaster?

Judging by other's comments, it sounds like its a fault of the ride type. By comparison, Vekoma and Arrow seem to be holding up pretty well around the world for their age.

It is totally the ride type. It’s not a coaster that you can re-ride too many times in a row. I wish more parks would get family coasters that you can enjoy multiple times without needing a break on the chairlift.

Do I wish that they’d gotten lap bars? Certainly.

But like a ride on a wild motor bike, I think a lot of what it does it was designed to do. I’d much rather go on Abyss that a lot of other rides at AW.

People also forget it pulls 4.5g positive and 1.5g negative. Being a very intense ride is bound to make it seem "Rough" as It is one of the highest g force rating in Australia for a ride. It also operates typically in Perth's hot summer and that makes for a rougher ride comparing it to a colder winters day. In my opinion last season the ride was overall smoother than its original opening day season. However, I didn't ride it in December or January during the hot days (only AW nights were it cooled down)

18 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

People also forget it pulls 4.5g positive and 1.5g negative. Being a very intense ride is bound to make it seem "Rough" as It is one of the highest g force rating in Australia for a ride. It also operates typically in Perth's hot summer and that makes for a rougher ride comparing it to a colder winters day. In my opinion last season the ride was overall smoother than its original opening day season. However, I didn't ride it in December or January during the hot days (only AW nights were it cooled down)

I think there's a distinct difference between intense and rough. You pull 4.2g on Superman Escape but don't come off with tier 10 whiplash and cauliflower ear. As for the ride type, I think most eurofighters are quite rough and unpleasant. Mystery Mine at Dollywood recently had a section of track redesigned to try smoothen the ride https://rcdb.com/3609.htm, and i believe they are very similar if not identical trains and restraints.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

I think a lot of people don't care. I can quote you Superman's G forces, but only because the queue video repeats it interminably. I don't care what the stats say, I want to ride a ride, it should be fun, enjoyable, and not something that I get off wondering how many visits i'm going to need at the chiropractors.

23 hours ago, iwerks said:

Abyss is better ...riding first thing in the morning. 

Between @iwerks and @Tim Dasco you guys are the biggest proponents of AW - and you're both saying that it's better to ride it when the ride isn't hot - by riding at night or first thing in the morning - two times of day that are in short supply in a typical operating season (night events are special, infrequent and park opens at 10, so you're already approaching heat of day). 

Australia's operating environment is typically the 9-5 window. If the ride is going to be 'more shit' during that window... it's fair to say its shit. 
If I buy a solar panel, and the internal control hardware overheats at 20 degrees and shuts down, it's not a very effective solar panel for the Australian sun.

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I think a lot of people don't care. I can quote you Superman's G forces, but only because the queue video repeats it interminably. I don't care what the stats say, I want to ride a ride, it should be fun, enjoyable, and not something that I get off wondering how many visits i'm going to need at the chiropractors.

How was your experience on the ride? Was it similar to Buzzsaw? Jet Rescue? Thunderbolt?

Why does the G force level count?

RMCs have G forces stronger than Superman or Abyss and they're not rough.

I did 3 rides on Aybss and that was enough.  It wasnt as bad as Arkham at its worst, but still not great.

When @Mark Shaw was on here he mentioned they went with over shoulder restraints because people might be deterred from riding something with loops if it only had lap bars.

Personally I didn't agree. Buzzsaw, Green Lantern (And Now Steel Taipan) are all loopers with lap restraints and are quite popular.

And in the end by the sounds of it people are being deterred anyway, by the roughness.

And whats worse?

-Guests refusing to ride because of lap bars?

-Guests refusing to ride because its banging your head about?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Now you're being deliberately obtuse. You know I haven't been on it. 

But when it's biggest fans are saying 'don't ride this during opening hours' its fair to say it's got problems.

Sorry, with all this interest in the park I thought you would have visited it by now. You know how old I am @DaptoFunlandGuy and you know I wouldn’t ride a coaster that would send me to a chiropractor. I think AW needs to do a lot of things atm - retracking Abyss is probably not that high on the list.

Hope to see you in the park someday.