Who built the Steel "Wild Cat" type coaster that operated in the 70's

petestrash

• 7 years later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wild cat roller coaster never got sold to Tasmania!

Thats correct Jobe, the Big Dipper was bulldozed and later burnt by order of the Department of Labour and Industry. Both the Big Dipper and Wildcat were purchased at a public auction held at Luna Park and purchased by the Haas Family who owned the Hollywood Pleasure and Picnic Grounds at Lansvale in New Soth Wales. The family purchased the Big Dipper and Wildcat for a total of $300,000.00 and were given six (6) weeks to remove the two massive rides. The family were successful in removing the Wildcat but were unable to remove the Big Dipper in the specified time. The Wildcat was later erected at at Lansvale where the Haas amily decided to pull their travelling carnival off the raod and base it permanently in the Hollywood Pleasure Grounds. The WildCat sat derelict for many years into the early nineties and was dismantled and sold to someone in Tasmania, I was involved in inspecting the ride as part of my role with the local Council and was on site when it was dismantled and trucked to Tasmania. I have not heard of or seen the Wildcat ever again. For those of you that are interested in Luna Park, I did a thesis on the site as part of my Town Planning studies back in the early nineties and have many newspaper clippings relating to the fire, sale of the rides dating up to present day. I do not have a scanner but an happy to photocopy the articles and post to anyone interested. Send me a private message with your details.