Does anyone know of any interesting information about Luna Park Auckland?

REGIE

Trying to learn a bit more about the obscure and lost parks around Australia and New Zealand. This one especially caught my eye . Footage is extremely rare especially of the coaster but I thought someone on here might have heard a few interesting things about the park or the coaster. Does anyone know if it had the same layout as LPM’s scenic railway? Here’s the one photo I was able to find of the coaster. It appears to be a bit taller than SR at LPM but it might just be the way the photo has taken. The entrance honestly looks a bit unsettling.

6E819D0E-8054-4F25-9805-2A597B0308FD.jpeg

Edited by REGIE

I don't know much about Luna Park Auckland but I have found this article:

The forgotten history of Auckland’s first amusement park | The Spinoff

The coaster that wrapped around the park like Scenic Railway was called "Big Dipper". There were also things like dodgems, live shows etc. located in the park. It was based on Luna Park Melbourne it seems, which was of interest of businessmen in Auckland. It had many troubles including two fires and a man falling out of the Big Dipper. 

To get more people to come to the park, the park offered free admission with the only source of revenue being on food etc. Then the Great Depression happened and people stopped visiting due to them having less income, so the park closed in 1931 and some rides were moved to Sydney.

• Like 2

Thanks! @TBoy.   how’s this line The Auckland Star reported board member T. Bloodworth’s complaints: “The children of Auckland will grow up in the environment of an amusement park, open on six days of the week. This sort of thing, going on day in and day out, can only be harmful.”   oh yes very harmful . If they aren’t careful they might actually have fun. Wouldn’t want that.

Edited by REGIE