What ever happened to Tops at the Myer Centre Brisbane???

crazycow

Top's Rant

I remember going to Top’s with my mum and sister when I was a kid in primary school, I’m now 20 years old and I was probably about 5 the first time I went to Tops. For a kid my age and at that time it was the coolest place in the world. I have probably been there hundreds of times in the past when it was open because it was a cheap day out and it was close to where I lived. I remember my sister and I used to always go there on the school holidays because we had nothing else better to do. That place was sweet, it was a miniature amusement park right in the middle of the city. It had such popular attractions as dodgem cars, a merry-go round, a jumping castle, Ferris wheel, a swinging pirate ship (which looked more like a rocket), a slot car race track (tucked away in the back corner of a small hobby shop on the top level of the Myer center), an arcade, a play ground with a massive ball pit, it even had a large pool table area, which was filled with probably 20 or more tables, which was located on the top level above where the merry go round used to be. But the most famous and iconic attraction of Tops would have to be the Dragon Rollercoaster. The only thing I remember about it was when it used to go through the cave tunnel which was lit up by orange lights on the inside, and it then used to whip round sharp corners of the track. It was fun back in the day, but you could tell it had a great deal of wear over the years it was in operation, it was pretty noisy and clunky in its final years but it was still a good ride. Sadly, Tops closed for the last time in late 2000/early 2001, to make way for a cinema complex, which is lame coz I’d rather go to a mini amusement park then to see a movie any day. The main reason for the closure of Tops was because it just wasn’t making as much money as it used to, I guess people just got sick of it, and developers thought that a Greater Union Hoyts cinema complex would make way more money. Unfortunately, now the fate of the Dragon Coaster is somewhat disappointing. I’ve seen it a few times in Brisbane as a Dragon Train ride that just putts around at about 5 Km/h (not very exciting when compared to what the Dragon was originally used for). Although it is good in a way to see that such a piece of my childhood is still in use today and not rotting away in a junkyard or in storage somewhere. I know I have gone off the topic of roller coasters just a bit, but Tops was possibly the best place ever, although technically tops is still there, (it’s just a small Replay arcade which is located around the other side of the cinemas. There are also a few pool tables on the top level of the arcade to) I’d love to go back in time and relive the glory days. If I had the money to buy the top level of the Myer center, I would convert it back into Tops, not just for me but for everyone who misses it. (Just a bit of trivia: There was also a swinging rocket ship which used to be suspended over the Myer center at Tops, when it swung at full you could see straight down to the bottom level of the Myer center, this ride however was closed down for years because it was deemed unsafe because apparently someone almost fell out of it one time.) I hope this article about Tops brings back some memories.

Edited by Bubco

• 6 months later...

yes I remember that, I Just searched google cause it came into my mind and I opened this to see someone remembers it to, good work, that place was great, It was the perfect place as a kid, the jungle playground, ballpit, dragon coaster, nice to see someone misses it to memories good times :(

Edited by maxgk

• 5 weeks later...

I miss Dazzleland. I am thirteen and went there as a little boy, god i loved it there. I went to the gymnasium (Dazzleland) the other day and saw the sign still there but it did not read 'Dazzleland' it Read 'Dazzeland' with out the L. Was it ever called Dazzleland or was it Dazzeland?

• 1 year later...