Luna Park Sydney vs Luna Park Melbourne

Guest Chippy

10 members have voted

1. 1. Luna Park Sydney vs Luna Park Melbourne

• Luna Park Sydney
    • Luna Park Melbourne

Getting back on to the subject :) IMO The Sydney Luna Park was better than it's Melbourne cousin. I'm speaking about the old Luna Park in Sydney before the Ghost Train fire offcourse. They both had exactly the same Big Dipper rides although the one in Melbourne had slightly more banked curves...I'm guessing this was due to space. It always felt like a faster ride to me than the one in Sydney. They both had River Cave rides but Sydney's was much larger & didn't feel as claustrophobic as the one in St Kilda. They both had Ghost Train rides but Melbourne's paled in comparison to Sydney's both in it's size & facade. Melbourne had the Giggle Palace...Sydney has Coney Island, which is also larger & more entertaining than Melbourne's. Melbourne did have a fairly cool flat ride called The Whip, which was removed years ago...This was quite fun to ride. Sydney didn't have a Scenic Railway however the park itself was on a larger site & had a nicer feel to it than Melbourne's park IMO

Its very hard to say which Luna Park is the better one. If you were to ask the same queation when Big Dipper was around I'd say Luna Park Sydney.... I have been to both Melb and Syd Luna park. Its hard to say which one is better due to the fact that each park had its own unique rides to it. At Sydney we have a few thrill rides which in my opinion arnt to bad. Its hard to compare the two parks. But in all my vote goes to Sydney.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been to both Luna Parks and felt Sydney was better. Much of my opinion is the same as dinnasaurus. The thing Melbourne had was the scenic railway which was pretty cool as it went around the whole park twice. The Giggle palace wasn't as good and I remeber going on the slides and almost breaking my arse on the one with lots of dips cause every time you'd go over a dip you'd lift off the slide and bang down on your arse. I even dave the rest of my tickets to someone else cause I couldn't stand it.

I by far prefer Sydney's version - and my only experience of it recently was looking at a ripped up, fenced off construction site. Melbourne's is just a miserably bitumen area with pretty badly looked after rides, most of which nasty carnival things. Scenic Railway, as historic as it is, is just painfully rough, which isn't a bad feat given its biggest drop is all of about 10m. It's obvious that unlike Melbourne's, Sydney's owners are in it for the long haul, not just a cheap fix so that they can get more back on their investment when they sold it a few years later as happened in Melbourne.

• 1 month later...

Just for being himself, but let's not let the topic go that way at all. As for carnival rides, I personally think that there's not much out there that is really quality. Certainly not in this country. I love some of the sweet traveling coasters in the German circuit, but they are in a completely different league from our Crazy Mouse or Galaxy or whatever.

Yeah the coasters like Olympia Looping, Euro Star, among others are just fantastic. Watching these on the eKIRMES dvd, is great, i love them. But back in the 80's most of the huss rides that were in Australia were ahead of the times, and im glad that our showmen are smart and have decided to keep most of them.