AVP troubles

rival81

I went to DW today. It was my first time doing the AVP laser tag, and unfortunately they now only have 1 of the 3 arenas functioning, and 1 staff member running the whole attraction. I'm not sure why this is.. they must be having technical issues or something i assume. Since there was only 1 arena running, it took a good 20 mins or so for each group to get through, so i was lining up for about 50 mins to get in. It was still a lot of fun, but i can imagine it would be ten times better if all 3 arenas were working! Cyclone was walk straight on, which was great. The operators on the spongebob coaster were painfully slow getting everyone on and off, the line was all the way back to the entrance because of their chatting and slowness. They also failed to ask for single riders to fill in all the gaps... so there were about 5 seats that went empty while i was waiting. After those 3 rides i had to head home as it was midday. I wanted to have a go on motocoaster but there was unfortunately no easy way for single riders to get through the line to the front even though i could hear them calling out for single riders. Overall, i felt that MW does a better job in terms of getting everyone on and off rides efficiently! And MW lines seem far better designed - what's with the cyclone line up? You have to walk up a poorly themed indoor building circling up and up and then along stairs and the same to get back out... it was rather bizarre and certainly added nothing to the atmosphere of the ride... just lots of pointless walking! On my next visit (i have the $30 June month pass) i'll try to do motocoaster and the claw, and have another go at AVP if it's back up and running in all three arenas. Overall, a fun morning but too much waiting that could have been avoided. :) AVP was great, but i hope they fix it. . I should also add, while i was on cyclone, i noticed whitewater world almost empty. Now would be a great time to go, there would be no waiting on any of the rides i would think.

Edited by rival81

I doubt technical issues, Id be more inclined to say it was only running one briefing rooom with one staff member to meet the operational requirements of the day, and today wasnt very busy at all. If the spongebob coaster youre referring to is the Runaway reptar coaster, that ride barely ever has a queue line longer than 10 mins, so very few operators bother to fill every seat in off peak periods. Also, the cyclone line seems so rediculously long when its quiet, but there has to be enough room there to deal with holiday crowds, so that queue is designed to be capable of holding close to 2 hrs worth of people, but yes ill agree, pointless theming.

Hmm i don't think it's anything to do with "operational requirements" if by that you mean how many people they expect to be at the park on a particular day. After all, Saturday (especially on a long weekend) would be one of the busier days.

Saturdays can actually be one of the quietest days of the week for Dreamworld, depending on the time of the year. The last two weeks havent been overly busy, what with poor weather, and the fact that this is the quietest time of the year, so one staff member for AVPX may have been enough. Although if it were busier, one would expect them to move staff over to help cater for the extra guests.

Edited by Lotl_90

first time on cyclone today and i was wondering, was the queue originally inside the spiral building and did it have a functioning pre-show with that wind turbine thing? i noticted what appeared to be a shredded balloon-like thing sitting on the top of the turbine and the pipes running up the side were sounding like they were blowing heaps of air but it wasnt windy at all. as for avp first time i went on it today and while the lines were annoying, i was just happy to try it out

To clear some issues up with AVPX. The attraction has 3 briefing rooms and one arena. During slower periods you will find the attraction will run mostly with 2 operators and they will take their own lunch breaks so during that time will drop down to one. During that time the attraction still takes 15 minutes - this includes briefing, pre show and game - that would explain your queue wait. The attraction is a lot of fun and the arena is functioning at full potential - besides running the 3 briefing rooms.