Save Wonderland?

zordmaker

Wouldn't an empty 220ha parcel of land that has two major highways intersecting it be included as land that has room for expansion? Sticking the business/industry sites here makes more sense than out with the urban sprawl. Save the outer land for the 9,000 jobs and whatnot. That's just fundamental town planning. I'd absolutely love for the land that ING purchased to be redeveloped as a theme park, but honestly, I couldn't ever see it happening. Have a quick browse around the ING Industrial Fund site, they state over and over that they are "sector specific", "invest in well located industrial properties throughout Australia" and so on. It would simply be outside of their mission statement, as well of outside of their basic expertise. Not to mention that the land is ideal for industry with the intersection of the two highways. I think that for sure there will be a time when there's another major theme park in Sydney, but not at the Wonderland site. The economy's not quite strong enough and tourism is at too much of a low to plonk down $300 mil just right now. Realistically in the next 10-15 years, I'd say it's pretty likely that you'll have something that makes you wonder why you ever wanted Wonderland still around. :) Good on you for trying though, and maybe something does come out of it.

I think that for sure there will be a time when there's another major theme park in Sydney, but not at the Wonderland site. The economy's not quite strong enough and tourism is at too much of a low to plonk down $300 mil just right now. Realistically in the next 10-15 years, I'd say it's pretty likely that you'll have something that makes you wonder why you ever wanted Wonderland still around. :)   Good on you for trying though, and maybe something does come out of it.
I can live with that. As long as by the time it opens my daughter is higher than 122cm... :D 10 years is a typical planning and execution timespan for Sydney. If we start making noise now, 10 years there might be something. But not in the Sydney basin. There's just no land left. If someone wanted to develop a theme park in Sydney I would think they would have better luck considering the Old Sydney Town site at Gosford or something similar. The only other option in Sydney is Homebush, and I don't think RAS is going to accept major competition to the Easter Show without making a noise. ZordMaker ZordMaker

I can live with that. As long as by the time it opens my daughter is higher than 122cm...  :D
Bush Beast was about to be changed to 150cm just before they announced the closure too. Bit of useless trivia there for you. People complained that Wonderland was 'out in the sticks'. There's no way they're going to go to Gosford if this was the case. By the way, it's not me saying that Wonderland was out in the sticks, because as far as I'm concerned it's pretty central to everyone.

Bush Beast was about to be changed to 150cm just before they announced the closure too.  Bit of useless trivia there for you. People complained that Wonderland was 'out in the sticks'.  There's no way they're going to go to Gosford if this was the case.  By the way, it's not me saying that Wonderland was out in the sticks, because as far as I'm concerned it's pretty central to everyone.
what a load of ****e. Dreamworld : 40 mins out of Brisbane. Disneyland : 30 minutes out of L.A. cant speak for the others because I havent been there. Butr bets are on just about every fun park in tghe world is "about 40 minutes" out of the nearest big town.. Guess maybe we should cut the trees down so there are less sticks. ZordMaker

It's just a shame that this all worked out so well for Sunway and that the land became so valuable. If that stupid orbital wasn't being built out there Sunway may have had a much harder time. I hope a lesson everyone learns from this is that our theme parks need to be protected. If a similar situation occurs at one of our Gold Coast parks there needs to be a much bigger uproar. I just hope a similar situation never arises. We already know that the land surrounding Dreamworld has become very valuable for reasons other than leisure. I just hope the fact that the Gold Coast is considered Australia's 'theme park capital' is enough to protect the parks