What Will Replace Reef Discovery

adjack

Dugong Photos The building he's going into (Previously known as the 'World of the Sea Theatre') was once home to Shark Encounter. It was a live dive show (ie there were real divers, not automated), telling audiences about the history of diving going back to the days of Alexander the Great. A later incarnation of the show also included a 5 minute slide show about sharks before the screen was lifted up to reveal the tank complete with stingrays and sharks. The whole thing had a rather interesting educational voice over, with elevator music and lighting effects. Reef Discovery was more or less Shark Encounter's sequel, same format for both shows (Short film, followed by the screen being lifted to reveal the tank). It opened in winter of either 2001/2002. It was popular enough, and I can remember only a handful of times when there were less then 6 shows a day. Over the just gone holidays it was playing 8 times a day, and closer to 12 shows at Xmas time. The problem is that what made Shark Encounter work so well (the big sharks) was absent from Reef Discovery. Even the improved lighting effects and the exceptional looking fake coral in the tank couldn't offset the loss of the sharks and divers from the show. Also the narrative was slow paced, unmemorable and still sported the same sort of elevator music. Its original opening was delayed by a couple of weeks in a vain attempt to make it more entertaining. With Shark Bay opening, it was well and truly obsolete, and Pig just happened to be in the market for a new pool.

Thanks for the photos and info Joz. Very interesting animal. It made me laugh because apparantley Dugongs are also known as 'Sea Cows'. My childish sense of humour finds that very amusing. I think I'd heard of them before but had forgotten. I really hope Pig does well and would like to see him in his new home one day. Yeah I guess I'm remembering the building from when it was the World of the Sea Theatre. The only thing I remember about it is seeing a big tank, hearing a voice over and seeing what I thought was a pretend diver (I'm sure it was motionless) dressed in the old diving apparatus. I also remember the lighting effects making the water go lighter and darker as the bubbles went up. That's why I remember it as being all automated which I guess was wrong

• 2 weeks later...