Luna Park goes to the movies!!!

Jobe

I think coaster_crazee is referring to the fact that in that model the parks focus was total amusement park. This years park is minus some flat rides and the drawcard attraction - the Big Dipper. Ofcourse it wasn't their fault the Big Dipper had to go. I guess it depends on what you prefer - a fun park or an entertainment precinct with some rides

I agree Steve. Luna Park does need a drawcard attraction....or at least 2 high quality rides to enter into the mix..The interesting fact about this years incarnation and the '95 version is that there is ONLY 2 rides difference between the two. They are of course,the Big Dipper(gone as we all know, to Dreamworld as Cyclone) and The Octopus( which was sold to Aussieworld as the Polyp.This ride was also in the 1981 re-birth of the park. I dont know why LPS didnt retain this ride with the other flat rides from the '95 version...anyone hazard a guess as to why??It doesnt make a lot of sense to me!!) So with only 2 rides down this opening,it seems like it would have been fairly easy to inject another 2 permanent rides into the mix to equal out, to some extent,the loss of the Dipper and the Octopus. Yet, for all the hoopla and the smokescreen surrounding the opening, nothing NEW in terms of rides has been put back into the park. The much vaunted circus has yet to be realised to its full potential( It was stated that this was to be the venue for a human performing circus ,much like Circe De Soleil,with promises of weekly performances, but this has not yet materialised) While it is very clear that LPS management are NOT going to run it purely as a straight fun park ,it is very clear that the park has much more potential than in its current state. Rumours persist of a conspiracy theory regarding the current management of LPS and its underlying intentions for the park. The Friends of Luna Park are also concerned with the direction that the park seems to be heading and are looking for assurances that the park will still remain a fun park and public domain. Time will tell if any changes or additions will be made to rectify this current imbalance. The idea of a entertaiment precint is a GOOD idea but at the moment the park is still lacking in certain areas(the major one being, of course,high quality rides) Comments?? Cheers Jobe

Some interesting points there Jobe. Both you and Steve mentioned that Luna Park NEED new decent rides. But apparantley the amusement park is doing really, really well this year and beating budgets. So in reality the public is saying what they've got is fine. I disagree with this sentiment to some extent but the numbers speak for themselves. At the moment there is no drawcard attraction and the rides are the same as they were in '95 (minus 2) and yet the general public heads to the park in droves. This may change over time. I'm guessing the only time LPS will actually need to add anything new is when a new park opens up in Sydney. That's probably the only thing likely to cause a dent in their attendance figures. They may decide to take initiative and increase their attraction mix before that happens but only time will tell I guess

But i don't seem to see what Luna Park is missing. It has everything that satisfies me. Just remember Luna Park is unique, it has complaining residents, and is in a great spot. The park is unlike Dreamworld. It is an Amuesment Park. Not a Theme Park. I know what youn are saying here, but i don't agree with you on what you are saying about "They need more ride" blah blah blah. Who cares. Lets just look at maintaining what we have got, and keep the place going good. When things go bad, then they should look at packing up the park with new rides.