Six Flags Great Adventure Visit

tom

Well, I'm back in Sydney from the rest of my trip including 6 night in New York and had the chance to visit Six Flags Great Adventure! Let's start with the Dark Night Coaster, is bad. The coaster itself is just a variation of the SDSC without the intro section. As soon as you leave the station you are out up the lift hill and into the first turns. The coaster itself is themed with corrugated iron tunnels and spray paint with black lights, some mannequins dressed as characters from the movies and some buildings with lights. That pretty much sums it up, not worth the hour and a half wait. The queue line is right near the exit door which wasn't good because every one who came out of that door shouted to the line that is was bad!! Now, Kingda Ka... What a thrill! Nothing will ever beat the rush I got from that ride. The wait was only about an hour (including a break down) but it was worth the wait. I was sitting in the second row from the front and of course the seats are tiered so we had like a front row view. Now let me tell you all that this ride is FAST! I don't know how many of you have experienced it but it was WICKED! By the time you reach full speed at the end of the launch track it was hard to keep your eyes open because of the wind! The rest of the ride is just breath taking. Such speed and force it's so hard to describe, but a brilliant ride none the less. Coming down the other side of the tower is amazing, spiraling straight towards the ground. Word's can't describe it, so I'm just going to leave it at that! El Toro is great! I would probably rate El Toro higher then Kingda Ka. Kingda Ka is a great ride don't get me wrong, but El Toro is so much fun. The first drop is so steep and the air time you get throughout the ride i incredible! After quite a few air time hills and some steep banked turns the coaster dives into a more steep turns that twist and turn around each other. The line for El Toro was about an hour but it moved a lot quicker then Kingda Ka. I was expecting a rough ride considering it is a wooden coaster but El Toro is so smooth its unbelievable!! El Toro is a must ride of Great Adventure. The Great American Scream Machine is painful. For all of you out there who think Lethal Weapon causes you pain... Wait till you get on Scream. Old, rough and hurts your neck bad! Superman Ultimate Flight was great! It's not an overly intense ride except for the fact your lying on your stomach. The only really intense part was when it dives down into a loop (I'm not sure what you call it). In that section it pins you on your back as you dive down, great ride. The line was about an hour long, not too bad though. The queue winds it's way trough and under the track so you can watch the people as they go around. Nitro was fun!! Such a good ride for good old air time and G's. Don't really have much to say about Nitro except it was the shortest line because they were running three trains and the lined moved quick!! Great ride, heaps of fun. We only had a short amount of time in the park, and the park was very busy the day I went. There was about 50 buses of school kids in the park. If your ever in New York and you want to go to Great Adventure, just go to the Port Authority in NY and get a bus. You can get tickets which give you bus, entry to the park and the Safari thing at the park for $60 bucks or so, so it's a good deal. Depending on your driver and traffic it doesn't take no more then an hour and a half to get there. Buses leave from NY at 9am until everyone who bought a ticket has boarded a bus and then the buses start to leave the park at 6pm, however the times do change depending on the park hours. If anyone has an questions about it, let me know. Hope you guys enjoyed my little in sight into Great Adventure!! T :)

Great report.. Hate to think what kingda ka is like the first time. Stealth is only half the height, and hits 80mph in 1.9 rather than 128mph in 3.5, and that was bad the first few times, but at least out of season you could get on every 5-10 mins as a single rider so got used to it real quick.

Kingda Ka has also been called Kinda Krap (bad downtime in the past), and Kingda Klosed (which spoiled my first visit after it opened). Good to Dark Knight is just the Dull Knight, I'm going again this year so I'll just ride and forget about. I love El Toro, I'll be riding Superman Ride of Steel and El Toro within a day of each other (rather than a year apart) so I can finally make a definitive decision for my # 1 coaster. That bus service from PABT is really handy, it makes it so easy to get there - I caught the first one at 7.30am and got there nice and early. Also I used a Gold Flash Pass last visit and it was worth every cent, I wouldn't go there without one if the lines are long.

Kingda Ka has also been called Kinda Krap (bad downtime in the past), and Kingda Klosed (which spoiled my first visit after it opened).
That has got to suck going to the park to ride the Tallest and fastest rollercoaster in the world and finding it was shut. Oh and while on the topic does anyone think Kingda Ka's record will soon be broken? Edited by cadboy

That has got to suck going to the park to ride the Tallest and fastest rollercoaster in the world and finding it was shut. Oh and while on the topic does anyone think Kingda Ka's record will soon be broken?
It says on wikipedia that the 'racecoaster' is going to beat Kingda Ka's record: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racecoaster But, whos to trust wikipedia. I can only hope one day I can ride Kingda Ka, sounds amazing. I love the fast launches of Superman and TOT, so I can only imagine Kingda Ka's.

Guest dreamworldfan

I went when it was on its extended closure just a little while after its opening, and remember Six Flags trying to subtly pretend it didn't exist by putting vegetation around the entrance and viewing areas. Needless to say, a ride that size and distinct looking, was very, very poorly hidden I have managed to ride it since, three times in one day, pretty good when you look at the line El Toro is Good But you cant match the experience of Kingda Ka.

Oh and while on the topic does anyone think Kingda Ka's record will soon be broken?
In True Dubai style, I'll assume they will spend ALOT of money and get something never before seen, and yes, It'll Be Fast. They built an indoor mountain inside a building so people responsible for global warming, can play in something common folk wont have for long, snow, it wouldnt surprise me if they do something amazing.

I don't see Kingda Ka's height record being broken any time soon, though with all the cashed up development in Dubai who knows what will happen there. I believe the German coaster (and it only barely scrapes in as being classified as a coaster) Racecoaster will beat the speed record but is low to the ground. As far as Kingda Ka's launch goes Top Thrill Dragster is more intense and that was the consensus from everyone I know who has done both including myself. There is three pulses with Kingda Ka whereas Dragter is one big pulse. Also I found that KK is very shaky (except towards the front) which takes away some of the sensation of speed. When I go back this year, will I ride KK, yes but probably only a couple of times max. El Toro on the other hand I plan on spending most of the day riding, Nitro will get some attention as well. All other rides will get one go at best as I have ridden them all before except for Dark Knight. A Gold Flash Pass and ERT will certainly improve the day as long as the weather co-operates.

Guest dreamworldfan
LOL, They actually built the mountain for that reason :P
I don't know if that was sarcasm, or you didn't get my sarcasm... it is shaky your right, but why bother lining for the fastest and best ride if your not going to wait for a front row seat to open?

it is shaky your right, but why bother lining for the fastest and best ride if your not going to wait for a front row seat to open?
Well, it's playing the odds on a ride like that really, you want your bum on a seat before it breaks down (I did this on X for instance). Personally, Inverted coasters are the only thing I bother waiting for front row on, other times I just go straight to the back, or cheat and sit in the second row. Edited by Gazza

I hate when things stop working when your in the line or even worse on the ride. This happened to me once on SE while in the loading station. It started to rain just as they had finished locking down alll the harnesses. We waited about 10 minutes before leaving to ride WWF because the rain didn't look like it was about to stop.

Front row is worth the wait for KK as it is much better than anywhere else on the train though you are increasing the odds of getting hit with a breakdown with a longer wait. I'm glad I did a Gold Flash pass the last time I visited in 2006 because I swear continents moved faster than the regular KK line. From what I hear operations on KK are much more improved now. I prefer exclusively front row for floorless or inverts, and front or back row for all other coasters - though most woodies I have been on seem better in the back like El Toro, Voyage, Hades, Cornball Express, and Cyclops. Avalanche was the only woodie I have been that was better in the front than back though it has really short trains. The third row in the front train on Magnum is called the ejector seat and for good reason, you should have seen the look on one of my friens faces last year when he did the ejector seat on his first ride on Magnum, he just about got neutered.

I hate when things stop working when your in the line or even worse on the ride. This happened to me once on SE while in the loading station. It started to rain just as they had finished locking down alll the harnesses. We waited about 10 minutes before leaving to ride WWF because the rain didn't look like it was about to stop.
That sucks, when I was at Movieworld, we all agreed that SE would be first on the list, so we got to it quickly when the park opened, and we managed 2nd in the line. The line grew and grew, and we were waiting until about 10.30 until a operator rocked up and said that there was some 'technical difficulties', and to ride some other rides. I eventually got to ride it, but even after I rode it they closed it again.