The status of Theme Parks in Australia

KingdaKa

Touching back on 'viability' of thrills in parks (mainly SW and WnW) - A water park is expected to have both sedate (pools, lazy rivers) and thrills. To say there isn't a market to support that is just incorrect.

As for SW, up until recently, the park's top three mechanical attractions were roller coasters. I don't think it's fair to say that SW couldn't support a market for thrills also - however because of the park theme, it must be done with a little more finesse than just plonking down a coaster 'wherever it fits' ala MDMC. Take a look at the foreign SW parks and realise that most have their water coaster, their signature coaster, a few transport observation type rides, and several flats...

TBH if SW didn't have the height limitation, I think it would be a perfect spot for a large Obs. Tower or Falcon's Fury type attraction... what a view!

Touching back on 'viability' of thrills in parks (mainly SW and WnW) - A water park is expected to have both sedate (pools, lazy rivers) and thrills. To say there isn't a market to support that is just incorrect.

As for SW, up until recently, the park's top three mechanical attractions were roller coasters. I don't think it's fair to say that SW couldn't support a market for thrills also - however because of the park theme, it must be done with a little more finesse than just plonking down a coaster 'wherever it fits' ala MDMC. Take a look at the foreign SW parks and realise that most have their water coaster, their signature coaster, a few transport observation type rides, and several flats...

TBH if SW didn't have the height limitation, I think it would be a perfect spot for a large Obs. Tower or Falcon's Fury type attraction... what a view!

I really hope Falcon's Fury comes to Australia :)

And you are definitely right, although the other Sea Worlds are larger and I think have smaller exhibits.

Wet n Wild is really the one with a need of a change. If WWW picked up they would be in serious trouble.

Sea World is completely dependent on their vision and what they do with the Sea Viper land. A very very nicely themed Small scale thrill ride (like a Gerstlauer or Maurer-Sohne) would be really nice for tying it in with the theme. Like Crush's Coaster at Disneyland Paris.

I really hope Falcon's Fury comes to Australia :)

And you are definitely right, although the other Sea Worlds are larger and I think have smaller exhibits.

Wet n Wild is really the one with a need of a change. If WWW picked up they would be in serious trouble.

Sea World is completely dependent on their vision and what they do with the Sea Viper land. A very very nicely themed Small scale thrill ride (like a Gerstlauer or Maurer-Sohne) would be really nice for tying it in with the theme. Like Crush's Coaster at Disneyland Paris.

Lol, every theme park has a drop tower except sea world, but that's not their focus.

every theme park has a drop tower.

I don't have the background knowledge to think of any off the top of my head - but i'm going to look to Gazza for verification on that. I'm sure not EVERY theme park has a drop tower...

(You said 'except sea world' - so i'm not counting Sea World San Diego - which also does not have a drop tower)

Fundamentally I agree with you however it is called Jamberoo Action Park. The park is marketed as more than just a water park, even if that just essentially refers to the park's 2 excellent toboggan runs.

It's kinda weird that they market it more than just a water park when it really is just a water park.

Aussie World doesn't have a drop tower.

Merimbula's Magic Mountain doesn't either which proves my theory was wrong.

I think Jamberoo has pointed their noses towards waterparks. They used to have more 'dry rides' but clearly maintenance and upkeep on dry rides is more intensive that wet rides.

Pool maintenance is done by many people in backyards across the country. Granted waterparks have a higher hygiene requirement, and their machinery is put through far more punishment, but it is still, essentially simpler than dry rides, with far less to break down.

Also - we know that wet rides (slides) are far cheaper to obtain and install than dry rides... so it is easier for Jamberoo to build a new slide every year or two than it is to build dryflats at the same frequency.