Sign in to follow this  
scott

Gd

10 posts in this topic

While I was driving past DW yeterdayI was looking up at GD andthe East side wasn't dropping for ages.We stopped at a petrol station nearby for some chips,and it wasn't till a long time after that it dropped.The other side had done about three cycles before it did do so;why was it up so long? :confused: I also saw that one side was higher than the other,as I thought.

thats pretty crazee... i know they say the magnet which catches the gondolas as they fall will last for a million years or somethin, but are they electromagnets? if so, wouldnt they only work when they have power? what would happen if their was a sudden blackout??? anyone know if DW has their own power source or somethin? just interested... :cool:

This was in a thread a while back and they is no chance that the magnets can possibly fail. Im not sure exactly how but there is a lock or something that automatically hooks on at the very start of braking it whether there is power or not. BUt im not sure

yeah your right there was a discussion on the brakes in the "gd ideas" thread. for the record: the magnets that are attached to the gondola are some form of rare earth permanent magnets. so like the magnets on your fridge they work all the time no power required...although the magnets on GD are strong enough to probably pull your entire fridge through a wall so if you happen to pick up one of these magnets at the next dreamworld garage sale id avise not to stick memos to your fridge with it :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The subject of magnetic brakes has been discussed ad nauseum on this site. Basically power or no power the magnetic brakes still work. "The Bus is now leaving for Sick Man Creek, Queensland"