The Wii

Gazza

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I'd post this i here. Wii is not a fat burner From correspondents in Paris December 27, 2007 11:52am Wii gameplay uses 51 per cent more energy than on an Xbox 360, study finds. One hour of Wii play only burns off the equivalent of a quarter of a Mars bar. Gaming: More news & reviews » PARENTS are fooling themselves if they hope Nintendo's Wii, which uses a wireless handheld controller to replicate athletic movement, will stop their youngster becoming obese, a study says. Researchers in sport science at Liverpool John Moores University in northwestern England recruited six boys and five girls aged 13-15 years and fitted them with a monitoring device to calculate energy expenditure. The teens played four games for 15 minutes. One of the four games was Project Gotham Racing 3, played on Microsoft's more sedentary Xbox 360. The three other games were bowling, tennis and boxing in Wii Sports, with a five-minute rest between sports. In all, the children played on the consoles for one hour. Energy expenditure using Wii was "significantly greater" — 51 per cent — than on the Xbox, the scientists found. But this figure alone is misleading, as the total number of extra energy units burned using Wii amounted to only 60 calories per hour, or about a quarter of a Mars bar. "In a typical week of computer play for these participants, active gaming rather than passive gaming would increase total energy expenditure by less than two per cent," says the study. Even though the amount is "trivial," it might still make a contribution to weight management, the study admits. And it says, a game that prompts a teenager to practise basic motor control and fundamental movement skills is a plus. "Given the current prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity, such positive behaviours should be encouraged," it says. Even so, nothing is a substitute for getting out of the home and doing sport itself. "The energy used when playing Wii Sports games was not of high enough intensity to contribute towards the recommended daily amount of exercise in children," say the authors. The study is released on Friday by the weekly British Medical Journal, which carries it in its Saturday edition.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know where I can get my wii chipped on the Gold Coast? I used to get my PS and Xbox tweaked at GCM at Mermaid Beach but I drove past the other day and they were gone! Any help would be much appreciated as I am keen to play my genuine, authorised, legitimately purchased 'back up' copies :P .
By putting a modchip in your Wii, you're putting it at a great risk of being bricked by Nintendo's updates

By putting a modchip in your Wii, you're putting it at a great risk of being bricked by Nintendo's updates
Nintendo haven't yet put out an update which does anything against chips. The only game with an update that affects chips was Super Mario Galaxy, which refused to play. This was fixed within a day of the game being dumped, months before it actually arrived in stores. Mind you, it's good to be careful, as it could happen... They won't download themselves so just check before you run them. Simple.

Nintendo haven't yet put out an update which does anything against chips. The only game with an update that affects chips was Super Mario Galaxy, which refused to play. This was fixed within a day of the game being dumped, months before it actually arrived in stores. Mind you, it's good to be careful, as it could happen... They won't download themselves so just check before you run them. Simple.
http://www.mywii.com.au/NewsDetail.aspx?id=268 And updates are not option they are compulsory with the purchase of some of the best games coming out soon whether you like it or not automatic updates occur all the time and permission is not needed Knowing Nintendo they will make it harder and harder to make the wii mod chippable and let alone keep it (hence the link provided) Edited by PixelPushed

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring back an old topic!! :( . But I got my Wii chipped around 2 months ago, but only connected my Wii to the internet yesterday lol! As I was connecting my Wii up with all the settings, the console asked me to do a system update. However, before I pressed 'ok' a message popped up saying that "If your console has had any unauthorised modifications done to it, then don't do an update as it can ruin your console". So the question is, will it damage my console?? CoAsTeR TeeN

Edited by CoAsTeR TeeN

Yeah, at this point in time you'll be fine to update. When new updates come out though, ask around a bit before installing them just in-case. Nintendo put that message there only to scare people. The worst they will probably ever do is either break your modchip or stop the Wii booting until you remove it. (Not a worry at the moment) Just out of curiosity, which chip did you go for? WiiKey, CycloWiiz, D2CKey, D2Pro, Infectus or Argon? By the way, Smash Bros. Brawl is an awesome game! No idea when it comes out here, but when it does definitely buy it! I'd go so far to say the best graphics on Wii to this day.

Edited by WnW_Rocks

Thankyou for your help WnW Rocks! Well i didn't do it by myself, I got it done by a pro, so I think it's in good hands. I'm pretty sure the chip was the D2CKey. The guy who installed it had to put in the D2CKey because it's a later model Wii. So yer basically at this point in time there is nothing to worry about with the updating. Good cause I want to access the shop channel to buy myself the internet browser! P.S: HAVE U GOT BRAWL????!!!! Sooooooo Jealous if you do!!! <_< :lol CoAsTeR TeeN

Edited by CoAsTeR TeeN

Yeah, I've got Brawl, USA release. It's dual-layer though, so it's a bit trickier to get hold of... (First DL Wii Game) Regarding the D2C key, you could've opted for a better chip, but I don't think they've had any problems yet so you should be right. (D2Ckey has 30 wires, D2Pro has 12-15, Wasabi has 6-8. Therefore, the installer makes more money off them) Mario Kart Wii hits the shelves soon, 24th of April off the top of my head... We actually get it before the US! (Europe gets it on the 11th of April though) Should be a blast, although I think they're going to run out of big names to flog soon...