Luna Park Sydney confirms Tango Train closure

Jobe

Without making an angry rant, that ride is my favourite in the entire park by far. Every time I went to LPS, I always always made sure I went on the Ranger first. I did not care whether the restraints were painful, since the stomach crushing experience was an experience in and of itself. Doing that ride without holding on was also an experience I'd never forget. I'll sorely miss that ride when it goes and I will be most certainly returning to LPS to ride it for the last time.

At least LPS are moving on with their ride replacement plan, and not removing a ride once every two years. As Ranger was a much loved thrill ride despite its flaws, hopefully its replacement is even better. At least the neighbours will be pissing themselves like excited dogs when Ranger goes.

9 hours ago, AlexB said:

The Mickey's fun wheel is a darn sight larger than the LPS wheel though, isn't it?

You are right in that AlexB, however if you see the attached PDF from Intamin , you will see that the Coaster Wheel is offered in 2 different sizes- a 45 metre model with with 16 fixed gondolas and 8 mobile gondolas, and a 35 metre model with 8 mobile gondolas and 8 fixed gondolas. The 35 metre model is directly comparable to the current Skylab Ferris at LPS, which stands at 35 metres  and has 24 fixed gondolas. 

8 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

Anyone want to buy the Ranger? Yup - it's up for sale! Could this mean a new permanent ride for the Maloney's Corner section of the park? Based on all the good things happening at Luna Park Sydney recently, I wouldn't be surprised. B)

http://www.rides4u.com/view/3128

Extremely well spotted GoGoBoy!! Your are exactly right- hopefully this means a new permanent ride for its replacement! At least the residents will be happy to see this particular ride go- it was the target of a noise complaint by several residents before the LPS Noise Amendment Act came into being- this is why the Moon Ranger has a white noise suppression box around its central motor. This was done in an effort to reduce the sound of the ride during operation.

5 hours ago, Ranger Dude said:

Good riddance to another trailer ride! I was there a few weeks back and the Ranger was down. According to LPS website it is still down "until further notice". Let's hope they're replacing it with a proper fixed ride, in keeping with their other recent improvements....

The Moon Ranger, whilst not everyone's cup of tea, is a classic ride in its own sense , and is not just "another trailer ride"

This info is taken from Dave Burton's Amusement Ride Extravaganza and clearly illustrates why the Ranger is such a beloved ride around the world.

The HUSS Ranger was first manufactured by HUSS in 1981, and is now in approx. 32 locations worldwide. Some 3 years later, the Ranger design was modified to form Rainbow - each ride offering a completely different sensation.

The Ranger looks impressive at night with a height of 66 ft and a dazzling light display. Though single-armed, it accommodates a huge capacity of 40 adult riders in 8 rows.

The operator has a choice of 4 ride programs or manual operation with a fast or slow orbit with varied heights. Unlike any other pendulum ride, the ship can orbit 360° from a stationary position due to its nearly 2-tonne counterweight.

The Ranger has an innovative safety harness for the rider. Instead of over-the-shoulder restraints, it uses fully-automated rectangular pads which pushes against the riders stomachs. (see photo) First-time riders are always taken by surprise as the safety harness closes, giving them the feeling they are about to be completely crushed! Nevertheless it is quite comfortable and fairly unrestrictive to the rider’s upper body unlike most upside-down rides using an over-shoulder restraint.

Like Rainbow, the arm is swung hydraulically with four 90Kw drives.

I do not think that it is surprising that LPS is selling its Ranger. We know from previous interviews with the General Manager of LPS, that they are in the midst of a 5 year plan of rejuvenation. In this interview, they specifically mentioned that some of their current rides and attractions are , to coin a popular Parkz phrase, getting on in years. Tango and Flying Saucer are now gone and Ranger is up for sale. I would suggest that Tumble Bug ( a Huss Troika ) and Spider ( Huss Breakdance), both from the same era as the Ranger and the Flying Saucer, are on notice of disposal/replacement over the next few years.

What is also interesting to note about this is that the Ranger is listed for only $99,000 , whereas on the same site, LPS's former Tango, is still listed for sale at $199,000. Either the Ranger listing is incorrect or the price could reflect the current condition of the ride. However, I would not have expected the Tango to attract that price as well, given its issues before its eventual removal.

Fingers crossed for a quick solution to the Ranger- the park needs to ensure that the new attraction is just as iconic as what it is replacing.

There are several questions now over how LPS will handle the Ranger's removal- will they announce its passing like the Tango's and allow patrons one more ride?

The ride is currently listed as being under maintainance- will it even come back into operation?

Time will tell but I cannot see anything happening before Christmas.

11 hours ago, Jobe said:

You are right in that AlexB, however if you see the attached PDF from Intamin , you will see that the Coaster Wheel is offered in 2 different sizes- a 45 metre model with with 16 fixed gondolas and 8 mobile gondolas, and a 35 metre model with 8 mobile gondolas and 8 fixed gondolas. The 35 metre model is directly comparable to the current Skylab Ferris at LPS, which stands at 35 metres  and has 24 fixed gondolas.

Much as I enjoyed the mobile gondolas in DCA - I wouldn't like to see LPS take a capacity hit like that - downgrading from 24 gondolas to only 16, half of which being mobile would put some groups off riding. Stationary gondolas in DCA had a queue about 3 times as long.

8 hours ago, AlexB said:

Much as I enjoyed the mobile gondolas in DCA - I wouldn't like to see LPS take a capacity hit like that - downgrading from 24 gondolas to only 16, half of which being mobile would put some groups off riding. Stationary gondolas in DCA had a queue about 3 times as long.

I get what your saying but I honestly don't think capacity would take a huge hit. The 35 metre Coaster Wheel has a capacity of 960 pph while funnily enough the 45 metre  Coaster Wheel , with 8 more gondola's, only has a capacity of 1000 pph.Both have a limit of 6 people per gondola.

I haven't found through put statistics for the Skylab Ferris Wheel , but I don't feel that overall capacity would be reduced by all that much, after taking unload and loading times.for the extra gondolas.,

I can see where the stationary gondolas would be much more appealing for young families  but this would be tempered by the thrill factor of the swinging gondolas, which wold also have wide appeal and attract patrons to an attraction they might have otherwise missed. For mine, its a good mix of both.

I haven't had the pleasure of riding this type of  ride ( there are only 3 examples in the world plus Deano's Wonder Wheel at Coney Island). An installation of one of these would certainly make a huge impression in Australia- no matter where it was.

I certainly do not think that LPS would get rid of their iconic Ferris Wheel, but if they did, I reckon an Intamin Coaster Wheel would be a winner.

I think it would be a great fit because it caters for thrill seekers and families, I don't think we'll be seeing the Ferris Wheel leaving anytime soon though. Also, I think its fair to start speculating on the Ranger's replacement (if it does get replaced and we're not all wrong :P). I'd personally love to see a HUSS Rainbow, it was included in the original plan and was originally meant to be in the Ranger's place. Don't think that this would become a reality considering HUSS don't make it anymore and the only one in Australia is sitting in a paddock rusting away :(. I could also see something from Zamperla coming over, maybe a Disko or an Air Race. Let's see!

From memory - the Skylab seats 4 per gondola, yes?

So the coaster wheel would be an upgrade per gondola with 6 - but unless lines are long, I can't see them combining groups that much.

its a bit 50/50. i see your point for the upgrade, but I don't really see anything wrong with what they've got right now, other than the fact that the wind kicks up pretty bad and late afternoon riding tends to be pretty damn cold.

10 hours ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

I think it would be a great fit because it caters for thrill seekers and families, I don't think we'll be seeing the Ferris Wheel leaving anytime soon though. Also, I think its fair to start speculating on the Ranger's replacement (if it does get replaced and we're not all wrong :P). I'd personally love to see a HUSS Rainbow, it was included in the original plan and was originally meant to be in the Ranger's place. Don't think that this would become a reality considering HUSS don't make it anymore and the only one in Australia is sitting in a paddock rusting away :(. I could also see something from Zamperla coming over, maybe a Disko or an Air Race. Let's see!

HUSS Rainbows, while would be great, are too old to be practical for LPS. The original plan for the rebuilt LPS was over 20 years ago and back then you could easily get a HUSS Rainbow new. In 2016, the Rainbow's are difficult to obtain due to being discontinued and most of them are 25+ years old. Like with Tango Train, I think something from a bottom-tier manufacturer, such as SBF Visa would be most likely as replacement.

Just as a further update to the Ranger status at LPS. I contacted Brad Loxley, the Senior Amusement Park Manager and   he was kind enough to answer some questions regarding the fate of the ride. He was also kind enough to allow the use of his replies in these forums.

Thanks for your feedback as always. We certainly appreciate the level of thought and detail you put into your posts to us (yes, I do read them all). It's always nice to know there are people out there who are as passionate about Luna Park as we are. 
As I'm sure you're aware, the Ranger is getting on in years, which makes replacing aging parts very difficult (and expensive). The ride is down for it's annual maintenance currently and we are working with the manufacturer to determine the most viable and effective way forward. Part of that process involves looking at the feasibility of retiring and selling the ride as an alternative. Because we're still working on it, we are yet to finalise the timing of the Ranger's succession plan. Of course if and when it is replaced, I can guarantee you that it'll be something on another level than the Ranger in terms of wow factor, presentation engineering and imagination, and definitely an experience worth coming down to see (and ride)! I am certain you will like what we've got in store for this area of the Park. 

Regarding the Flying Saucer space; we haven't forgotten about this area, and we're working on it. I know you'd love to know what we've got planned, and of course I'd love to tell you, but you know how these things work..! And it's actually been 3 years since the Flying Saucer was decommissioned. Too long, I know! 
As I know you know, the attractions business requires constant re-investment, growth and change. Luna Park is a labour of love for us and we are committed to creating a Luna Park that is world-class, while still maintaining all the special and unique details, history, heritage and feeling that make this Park so very special. So I don't like to call it "updating", rather "enhancing". We want to create a Park where our Guests can immerse themselves in another time - in the Park they think they remember (that is the Luna Park that has all the best bits of the past 80 years, all the dodgy bits taken out, and delivered with all the best new technologies, engineering and imagination in mind, to create a truly unique and memorable world class experience that our Guests can't find anywhere else). 

We have a great future planned for Luna Park and if I were to tell you all about it here, then I'd just spoil the surprise ;) 

But I can assure you that it's a future worth being excited about, and we're looking forward to delivering it for you and the people of Sydney! 

Make sure you come and catch up with me when you next visit the Park, it would be nice to meet you in person. 

All the best and Just for Fun, 

Brad Loxley
Senior Amusement Park Manager

He was very receptive to my questions and seems like a genuinely nice guy who is very passionate about Luna Park and its heritage and history. He is certainly aware of the Parkz forums and intimated that he and his team keep tab on the posts in the forum.   Whilst there is nothing earth shattering in terms of the information contained in his answers, it certainly leaves me with great confidence that park is in extremely good hands, and that they also have a strategic plan and vision for the parks future. I thought you guys would be interested in reading his response and he was happy to let me share. Its great to make this official connection with the park and I look forward to further correspondence with Brad regarding the future happenings at LPS.

And i think that this post is a great way to bring up 1000 posts, even though it has taken me 13 years to tally this up!! ( For the record I have been a member since 27th January 2003.):D