More Rides At Sydneys Luna Park For School Holidays

Mrmoon427

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huss you are saying that when Wittingslow purchased Breakdance off Expo they then converted it into a portable model. I am suggesting that it was already a portable model - as with a lot of the rides at Expo. I have come to this conclusion because in the pic you supplied, the Breakdance has the raised/sloped platform. Regardless of the version of Breakdance, it is my understanding that the true park models have a relatively flat platform with the turntable and mechanics built into the ground. Only the road models have the raised/sloped platform. This is confirmed on the Huss website where it says "For The Road Model: An Sloped Platform Which Invites Passengers To Jump Aboard"

Huss you are saying that when Wittingslow purchased Breakdance off Expo they then converted it into a portable model. I am suggesting that it was a portable model to begin with - as with a lot of the rides at Expo. I have come to this conclusion because in the pic you supplied, the Breakdance has the raised/sloped platform. Regardless of the version of Breakdance, it is my understanding that the true park models have a relatively flat platform with the turntable and mechanics built into the ground. If the Breakdance at expo was a park model, it would not have had the raised/sloped platform. Only the road models have this style of platform. This is confirmed on the Huss website where it says "For The Road Model: An Sloped Platform Which Invites Passengers To Jump Aboard". Obviously there are a couple of permanent parks (Luna Park is one of them) who have obtained a road model Breakdance, most probably because they have bought them 2nd hand for a good price off the travelling ciruits. You wouldn't find many of the major parks doing this. Huss - do you have any more pics of the flat rides from expo?

I do agree that Wittingslow made a number of modifications but I still say the ride was always designed to be a road model. The platforms may have been changed slightly but there are still a lot of similarities - the type of railings are identical. There are obviously some parts that were retained and others which were modified. One thing that would help the ride now in terms of presentation would be putting the giant 3D Spider back which used to stand over the ride. I'll never know why they got rid of this after it was created in 1995. It was the only thing that helped the ride look a little more permanent. It definitely needs some kind of professional facade/entry signage. I'd then dig a big hole for it and put the platform base and mechanics in the ground to reduce some of its elevation. I'd then reseal the surface of the platform with actual concrete or asphalt. The metal turnable would then sit on top of this

The Troika, seemed very slow to me too, but ive seen a video in Germany, and once again, they operate it faster.....but anyway, its a much nicer ride than Scorpion. Also yes, GoBoi, it was a road model to begin with, but wittingslow made it trailerised, so it could fit the cars etc etc. Since when it came here, the ride came in the container, but not the tools for travelling it on the road

Blah blah blah blah, who really gives a crap if it's a permanent ride or a travelling ride. My evidence is in Bounty's Revenge at Wonderland, and the Ranger at Luna Park. The Ranger and Bounty's Revenge are both superb rides, yet the Ranger gives a more forceful and fun experience. Therefore I don't see any reason why people look as if they can't stand the travelling rides that Luna Park has. Be thankful that it is open again, it's the last damn amusement park left in Sydney.

I think everyone here is glad to see Luna Park open again so please don't suggest otherwise. Who gives a crap whether a ride is permanent or travelling you ask? Well actually I do... and so do a lot of people who pay money to visit theme/amusement parks. For me a ride experience is not just about how much force or how fast it is but the entire package including presentation and theming. When I am visiting a permanent amusement park I like to go on well presented permanent rides. It detracts from the experience for me when the ride has no theming, no decent signage, crappy demountable metal platforms and blocks of wood or wheels holding it up. If you can't see the difference then I would recommend getting your eyes looked at

Have you been on a Breakdance in Germany to be able to tell the difference in ride quality? You never know, even though they do look better (I 100% agree) they mightn't be as much fun as a slow one. You just never know. Same as a slow rotation on the Ranger is more fun than a fast one, yet less forceful...In my opinion. As for the permanent/travelling argument. Pffft, Luna Park could do a lot with a travelling ride if they wanted. They could get rid of the demountable platforms and take the risk of getting permanent ones put in. They could do a lot of things to it so it would be pretty much indistinguishable from a permanent one. So I don't think your beef lies with the fact that it is travelling, I think it's the lack of effort Luna Park seems to put into some of their rides. Not that I'm complaining of course...Go Luna Park! Lastly...Whats a Breakdance??? Are you serious? even my most non ride knowledgeable friends know what the Breakdance is!

Who gives a crap whether a ride is permanent or travelling you ask? Well actually I do... and so do a lot of people who pay money to visit theme/amusement parks. For me a ride experience is not just about how much force or how fast it is but the entire package including presentation and theming. When I am visiting a permanent amusement park I like to go on well presented permanent rides. It detracts from the experience for me when the ride has no theming, no decent signage, crappy demountable metal platforms and blocks of wood or wheels holding it up.
What a load of crap! Most people who visit theme parks (and I use that term very loosely here) do not care about wether the ride they are about to go on is a travelling ride or not. When ordinary people go to theme parks they are so excited by the atmosphere (people screaming, the food, the anticipation of the wait for a ride) they don't care about minor details like 'is that ride on a trailer or no', they may notice it but don't pay any attention to it. Everyone here has high expectations of parks in Australia that will never be met. "The Bus is now leaving for Trailers Mountain, NSW"

Well if that's the case why do parks bother to theme rides at all? Why do they bother creating attractive signage? What you're saying is that no one cares how the rides are presented. Why doesn't every park just look like the Easter Show then? It would be much cheaper from the parks point of view. I'm not saying it's just about whether the ride is a road model or not - it's about the presentation as a whole. If Luna Park made a real effort to present their rides well then I wouldn't care as much about them being portable. But when you stick a trailer mounted demountable ride on a bit of asphalt at a permanent amusement park (and don't give it any theming or signage whatsoever) - how can you say that's acceptable to everyone? You'll also find that most visitors to Luna Park think the front part of the park looks good while Maloney's Corner looks a bit cheap and nasty. Once again it comes down to presentation. You said that everyone here has high expectations of Aussie parks that can't be met. I completely disagree. There are a number of parks in Australia who already take great pride in the quality of their attractions and spend a lot of money on making them look good

That's right. Luna Park Sydney made a reasonably good attempt at theming their carnival rides in 1995, certainly better than this years effort. One thing to remember is that Luna Park historically (although classified as a 'fun park') has always had an emphasis on artwork and fantasy architecture. This is why in its glory days even its most basic rides had extravagant themed facades and entry ways. Luna Park Melbourne (although lacking in many ways) has made an okay attempt at theming some of their carnie rides. Even the op booths are themed. Another example is Dreamworld - at least two of their rides could be classified as carnie (Reef Diver and Vortex) and they have some great theming and signage. The following links show some good overseas attempts to theme a classic carnival ride, the Enterprise... http://www.coasterforce.com/uk/thorpepark/zodiac.php http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/rides/xsector...nterprise03.jpg