Movieworld crowds

Matt Griffith

Hey everyone,

After some help from all the fellow enthusiasts in here. Planning a trip to the Gold coast next april/may and I'm trying to figure out the optimal time to visit the theme parks. Which states being on school holidays really crowds the parks? Is Queensland the main one to avoid or NSW, capital territory etc...

Could just go in May to avoid all of them but based on this year's maintenance I'm worried some rides will be closed by this point (particularly DC rivals)

Thank you so much for any help and opinions, and sorry if this has been asked many times before! 

Hey Matt, how are yah?

Ok, holidays can be ok for theme parks, you just need to choose the right day.

I’d personally go to MW on the first week of the holidays, as NSW etc. are still in school.

Try and go on a week day, mid week is normally quietest, even know kids are on holidays, many adults still work.

If you choose to go after school holidays remember that NSW in on school holidays one week longer, so go on the second week of school for Queensland. Once again middle of the week.

Hope that helps mate, if you’ve got any more questions please feel free to ask.

I'd go back half of April or a weekday in May. You 100% don't want to be there for QLD School Holidays. NSW school holidays will be busy, but normally they get a bit of a groove on in the back half of the holidays and the crowds are lower for NSW holidays. Crowds this year were absolutely huge, I don't think you'll see that again next year, I think a lot of people have had their fill of the theme parks after not visiting for a few years, and with interest rates doing their thing I think you'll see a more traditional holiday attendance next year. Last Easter holidays were an absolute disaster, I think the park will be keen not to repeat it, and attendance should be naturally lower anyway, so in theory should be decent.

Having said that it's very likely that either Rivals or Superman (or both) will be back to one train operation as the other trains get rebuilt, so Easter QLD holidays could be bedlam next year. Maintenance also tends to get front loaded into May June and September so all the big rides are available for the September though January season which is quickly merging together to form one almost constant busy season, with a short breath in November.

In summary, May would be quiet but you'll probably miss maybe 2 big rides and some filler, start of April is a hard no based on crowds, NSW school holidays MIGHT be that happy medium of slightly quieter, but still busy, with as much open that can be.

Thank you so much for the advice guys! Will be invaluable when picking the dates with my wife (she's not big into theme parks, unless it's disney). 

I'm thinking May will be out of the question as DC rivals wasn't there last time I went and I've heard it's amazing. I believe it underwent maintenance in May this year, so feels a bit risky going in May to try avoid the school holidays. 

DC rivals and superman escape are my absolute must be open rides (superman is easily my favorite ride I've ever been on).