New Sydney Theme Park Being Discussed

bren79

Im hoping for a better company than SF since they are going badly at the moment, and they neglect their parks a bit, and anyway, SF has been selling some of its parks, so its probably just trying to downsize. The companies I would like to see are WVTP (they do a nice job), Tussauds (well run parks with nice theming), Universal (excellent quality), Disney (im dreaming) or Cedar Fair (Unlikely), but who knows, we might get hit by another company, or maybe that spyland mob will set up there.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting that the land is again in Western Sydney and being promoted for use as a theme park by Diane Beamer. Good on her I guess.
Oh great. It will be like Orange Grove, it will be approved, allowed to open and operate for a while and then be shut down. If I had kids I wouldn't trust her to look after them.
I have always wondered why it is the Gold Coast that manages to have 3 main theme parks which are quite successful while Sydney has not. Sydney is Australia's largest city and is the destination of 50% of all international tourists to Australia each year because it has the major international airport for one. There surely has to be enough demand for a themepark in Sydney if it has a good location, because it definately has access to a greater number of visitors than what the three main Gold Coast parks share.
The answer is simple, Sydney has a lot of tourist attractions already (Harbour, Harbour Bridge, Opera House, etc). What does the Gold Coast have? Theme parks and that is about it. No land mark buildings or anything that is a major drawcard. "The Bus is now leaving for Orange Grove Recreation Ground, Western Australia"

See, that was the vein I was trying to hit, if it were australian themed then it could then have a chance in the Asian market, I can just see it now, The Australian animal kingdom, AUSCOT, some sort of of Australian themed water park, hotel/s ect.
Ick. The Aussies would get very sick of it very quickly. I know we've moved away from Disney, but this applies for any new park making an "Australiana" based park. Look at DW/SW/MW. They have aussie elements, this caters for foreign visitors. There is a lot more less stereotypical aussie stuff in these parks, which keeps the local numbers ticking over. Ocean Parade in Dreamworld is a "modern Australia" aspect that IS popular for the locals, but a "stereotype" theming is what I'd consider to be an unsuccessful approach. If I went to a "True Blue, strewth mate, look at the Koalas and Roos!" park, I'd visit it maybe twice in a 5 year period, unless they have some major new attractions. That's why I live a half hour from Aussie World and have been there only once in 10 years. Plus it isn't a "theme park" in the Gold Coast sense.

The answer is simple, Sydney has a lot of tourist attractions already (Harbour, Harbour Bridge, Opera House, etc).  What does the Gold Coast have?  Theme parks and that is about it.  No land mark buildings or anything that is a major drawcard.
Actually wonderbus2003, many people from Asia come to Australia to see tourist attractions such as the Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge and Surfers Paradise beach. I think you are forgetting that our beaches in QLD are a major drawing card to visit us, as many tourists have never seen anything like our beaches. I don't really think anyone can say tourists would come to Australia to see Bondi beach as a beach, they would only visit Bondi because of its name. I think its fair to say that Surfers Paradise is the superior east coast beach. Also, tourists that visit Australia don't just visit one city, they will most likely travel around the country. This means that we have enough international tourists up here in QLD to support our many themeparks and the people in NSW and other Australian states and territories can have many of the same guests support their local tourist attractions. If someone goes on a holiday overseas, it is very unlikely that they will only visit one city, they tend to travel around to see as much of a region as possible and see ALL the sites, not just focussing on ONE attraction.