Braking on Roller-coasters

Okay after watching the train come into the station a few times yesterday I can go halfway to answer a couple of your questions. Firstly the train comes into the brake run brakes which are always closed, it comes in through these brakes which stop the train with about 2 or 3 cars into the station. The Op then depresses 2 buttons which release these and the station brakes bringing them into the station. After a while the Op seems to let go of one of the buttons (I am thinking maybe this is for the Brake run?) and depending on their skill (the young girl yesterday afternoon was spot on every time) they release the button to stop the train or give it a couple quick presses to get the train into position. The best Ops there seem to just bring it straight in and stop it perfect first go. The dispatch of Corkscrew is done from the front end of the train at a seperate panel. Problem with auto braking is the PLC cannot 'judge' where the train is and where it needs to stop, it simply needs to look at where it is and release and engage brakes as neccesary which often means a much less smooth process. Of course more modern coasters (the Cyclone system is quite dated) slow the train with a brake run and then bring the train into the station with tire drives and then hold it in place once stopped with brakes. Intamins with the new magnetic braking are a perfect example of this.

Information has just come to hand that the damn fine Corkscrew Op mentioned above was in fact Bec so full compliments to her on her Parking :) Perhaps we should get a thread going on here rating all of the SW Op's 'non manual' abilities :P EDIT: Just to clarify (mostly for those young male coaster fans living in western sydney) that my comment above of "damn fine Corkscrew Op" was simply refering to ride operating ability and nothing else...

As Richard said, for sure Superman will have Magnetic Brakes. The system in use on the Rockets I really like where by the magnets are on the train and the copper fins retract and extend under it. I can tell you from Xcel. that this braking is the smoothest you can you imagine with no 'surge' or anything like that as the high speed is very quicky taken off. The train simply glides through the brakes to a very quick but gentle slow roll around and into the station.

On the subject of brakes in roller-coasters (and I know this is kinda going against what Gazza said a page back, but I searched and I couldn't find it), does the Tower of Terror use the same braking system as the Giant Drop and all those other rides (I'm thinking yes from what I've gathered) and with it's acceleration, is it just the opposite of the braking on TOT?

TOT uses LIM(Linear induction motor) They are kind of like a motor, but when there powered up they great avery strong magnetic field, which attract the pod (magnet in it) then when it passes each motor it gets repeled, like 2 south ends of a magnet, I thinks for the braking it is the oppiset of launching.