Improving Superman Escapes Theming.

Gazza

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And on the coin issues, it also depends on how fast that the coin traveling at 'terminal velocity' is traveling and from at what height.
Height is irrelevant because terminal velocity is the maximum velocity an item can reach in freefall, even if aided (eg. thrown towards the ground). The only thing height will dictate is whether the object actually reaches that speed, so in effect height can only lessen the impact force. You're right that terminal velocity varies. In this case I was talking specifically about the terminal velocity of a penny, which would be roughly same as that of an Australian 5c coin (the difference would have a negligible effect on the outcome). My point wasn't so much that it's OK to be hit by a coin, because it won't hurt that much, more so that guests are forced into purchasing a locker based on the misleading information that a 5c coin is dangerous. It's also interesting that they aren't as concerned about such loose items on Lethal Weapon (I've never been questioned by two different attendants as to whether or not I have any loose items on my person), or Scooby-Doo where riders are forced to take all belongings on with them if they haven't left them with a non-rider. Same goes with Wild West Falls. I'd say these rides would all pose an equal threat if a rider lost say a mobile phone. The only difference I can really see is they found a way to charge riders a dollar with one ride, but didn't with the others. To add to what Gazza said about sending a park any kind of communication, speak for youself and not others.

I was speaking to a Ride Op when superman broke down once, and we were next in line to ride...She was saying that MW gets no profit from the lockers what so ever. She also said that the person staffing the lockers is a person from the company that provides the lockers. All the profit from these lockers goes to the locker company and the person at the locker is paid by the company to handle people complaining about how they charge to use the lockers. She also said that there had been 7 or 8 different people been doing this job since the ride opened, and all of them had quit (this is in the time from when the ride opened till about mid January). She said the reason they had quit was because of all the abuse they were copping for charging to use the lockers. Interesting how the locker situation works hey?

Its more the principle that matters, it should be free. Well, the plot certainly has thickened if that is true, i mean, why would MW sell its soul like that :P . But back to the topic of theming improvements, here is a rough sketch of how i reckon the queue area should be, i sort of drew in in Sims style with walls ommited if they blocked the view. Also, i am aware that i drew in too few switchbacks on the sloping part of the queue but as i said it was a quick sketch. post-88-1141443014_thumb.jpg But i reckon T Bone would be the one to ask about subway theming, hes the train buff around these parts.

Edited by Gazza

I will probably be going to Movie World tomorrow, so I may talk to them in person, or i may just e-mail that is yet to be decided, I was also talking to a Ride Op today about the locker system, they have also copped some abuse from it. When I told her my idea of having the lockers free for say... 30 mins depending on how busy the lines are and then to Unlock them after that period it costs 1 dollar, this would make it ALOT better in my opinion. Because it is just crazy paying money to get in (not nessacarily for me as a Pass Holder, but for non pass holders) and then having to basically pay to ride the newest blockbuster ride. It also means that I don't get to go as often to movie world, because of this locker fee.

Now, I haven't either seen any pictures of the Superman Escape Queue Line, nor have I ridden the ride, so I am really not too good for a comment here, but I will give my best from what I have heard. 1stly, Personally, I love that little Conception Picture Gazza kindly posted up for us, and I agree, if they are wanting to go for a realistic Subway ride, that idea of Gazza's pretty much hits it on the doornail. From what I heave heard, the Queue they have at the moment is something along the lines of the Queue to the Tower of Terror, Or Giant Drop, not much resemblence of what it should resemble, and just leads into no-where. If anyone has seen the Monsters Inc attraction at Disney's Californian Adventure (I am sure Adam has), the queue line pretty much resembles a Subway sort of system, however ofcourse to Monsters Inc, now it includes most of the things that Gazza's version has, and I agree it does work. The simple fact that they just have the candy machines, and newspaper machines. It all makes the difference. I will try to get some photographs and post them on how a real subway station works in Australia.

Wait, so are you tall with the middle of your hair sort of spiked up? I remember this paticular person giving the crowd a lecture that even a 5c piece is dangerous and if you have one you will be sent to the back. And anyway, the only reason the queue rails are there is so the queue uses the space in the most efficent manner, if they werent there guests would probably just line up down one wall and the queue would end up stretching all the way past the lockers. I dont really think its a saftey issue unless they are hurdling, a simple duck under is ok. So, as an employee, are you able to find out why they decided to charge for the lockers on the ride? also are you in a position to give feedback about the ride to managment (Eg, that they should ditch the fee) One last thing, is it fun working on the ride, and also, how much experience do you need to work on it?
hi GAZZA, well in reply to your message, no one who works there knows the true reason for the lockers being charged for, some of us do think its a little to much but rumour has it that most if not all new rides will have this system due to the rising amount of theift underway in such holding boxes as lethal weapon. we have asked about removing the fee but with these such lockers the fee cannot be removed completely. and in regards to working there yes it is fun like i mean you have your good and bad days but mostly its pretty cruisy, but for information purposes i am unable to display my real name. as an employee of warner village i have signed a contract sayin i must always withhold information regarding this kind of info from 3rd parties, sorry. MW EMPLOYEE

Well, i wonder if the lockers could be set for a really small value (10c) or be designed to give up a $1 coin so its more like a deposit (kind of like the trollys at Aldi) Also, just one other little idea that popped into my head (but it would be expensive) would be to make the big long straight section of queue from the entrace look like a stationary travelator.

Edited by Gazza

Well, i wonder if the lockers could be set for a really small value (10c) or be designed to give up a $1 coin so its more like a deposit (kind of like the trollys at Aldi) Also, just one other little idea that popped into my head (but it would be expensive) would be to make the big long straight section of queue from the entrace look like a stationary travelator.
Gazza, as said my another person here the lockers dont actually belong to movie world and are non profit machines, in fact we as warner village pay a small fee so we can supply them to the public as i found out today while at work, Gazza i do believe you were the one who redesigned the que lines for super man correct? if so i would prob have a better chance at forwarding that on to a higher figure, if interested feel free to let me know and i'll see what i can do. You have a few good ideas altho there is one problem with is i see, the entrance during busy periods wouldnt work as we would have people pushing from 3 lines into 1 line at the end which would cause dramas MW EMPLOYEE

I received this in a recent communication from Movie World.

Dear Disgruntled Guest The fact that you fail to see the need for us to charge a fee is completely beside the point. As a company, we have decided that this is the best situation for all parties, remembering that we must comply with the manufacturer's ride requirements for this attraction first and foremost, as well as provide an option for the large number of guest's who visit our park each and every day from all over the world. As was mentioned in our previous e-mail, it is necessary for us to charge this fee as to make it free, in our belief, would encourage guests to leave their property in the lockers all day and this would defeat the intention of the lockers. At no stage have we stated that you must pay one dollar extra to go on this ride. Our website clearly states that you are unable to take any loose items on this ride and as such, we offer the option of the short term locker hire. Guests also have the option of leaving their belongings with a friend or family member before they ride or take advantage of the all day lockers we have provided behind the Fuji Photo centre in Main St. Once again, thank you for your feedback on your recent visit and please be assured that your comments will be passed on to the relevant management for review. Kind regards, Stupidity.
After drilling them several times about the situation they have basically said they charge for lockers so people don't leave their belogings in them all day. As anyone with a brain will know - this makes no sense whatsoever. There is no reason why they can't offer the first hour for free.

No they wouldnt because do that there are two locker sizes, there are those really little $1 ones and there are the $2 ones. The little ones can only fit a few personal things like phone, sunnies, wallet, keys etc, not a whole bag of stuff. These are things you have on your person all day and not things you would keep in a locker or else why would you take them to a park. Usually those with bags are people with a group (eg a family) where one person in the group would hold everything) IMO the rides target audience is teens etc and us teens (esp males but im not being sexist) tend to travel light since it is no fun lugging a bag around and so they would use the smaller ones. But a couple of questions for those who have been overseas or frequent international coaster sites. How do smart lockers such as the ones at IOA work, and do they have a problem with free riders using them as an all day locker? Also, how do they approach item storage on 2 station coasters (TTD springs to mind as its station set up is similar)? Also, they arent necesarily charging $1 to ride, but this is what is happening in effect because not everyone has a non riding friend. Heck, the whole reason you vist an amusement park is to ride stuff, not everyone is a sook who sits out and watches. What about those who are alone, what about those where everyone in the group wants to ride together? Not having free for one hour is like some city carparks not having free for the first hour on the basis that some would return to their car every hour and drive in and out. But also, taken from the smate carte website: http://www.smartecarte.com/lockers/lockersletthemenjoy.html

The technology offered by Smarte Locke® electronic lockers is a perfect fit in ride locker applications. They operate with maximum efficiency and have the ability to provide locker use for a minimal fee or even free during the ride queue time. After this time, renters begin to incur penalty payments for long-term storage if items are left in the ride lockers beyond the ride time.
Edited by Gazza

Universal Studios Hollywood allows you to leave your belongings in a locker for the time of your choice - the first hour being free. The system works fine. It's not the inital one dollar fee that stops people leaving their belongings in the locker all day. It is the unlocking fee that stops people doing this. It has absolutely nothing to do with the inital $1. The dollar isn't required. You are also forgetting the very reason people take their stuff to theme parks - so they can use it. If you're suggesting that people will come back every hour and move their belongings to another locker then I think that's rediculous. The majority of people will just chuck their stuff in a locker, ride the ride, then collect it on the way out. I think making the first hour free would encourage more people to remove their belongings after each ride (instead of keeping it in their for a couple of rides). In the current situation people will most likely try and get their "full money's worth" out of the locker and keep it in their for a full hour. If it works for large-scale international parks then surely it'd work for Movie World.

But a couple of questions for those who have been overseas or frequent international coaster sites. How do smart lockers such as the ones at IOA work, and do they have a problem with free riders using them as an all day locker?
No problem as far as I've ever experienced. I personally have better things to do than frantically look at my watch all day while in a theme park to race back when the hour is up to change it. Especially when I've paid a large amount to get into the park and want my money's worth. Most guests would be the same. I too would be interested in how the regional parks (Cedar Point etc.) deal with belongings on rides with load/unload stations.
Not having free for one hour is like some city carparks not having free for the first hour on the basis that some would return to their car every hour and drive in and out.
The difference would be a cheap commuter with a desk job can sneak out every hour while still being paid to renew their parking. A theme park guest has paid $60 to be there. To maintain a free locker they would end up spending I'd estimate between 10 and 15 minutes to get from where they are, back to Superman, change lockers and continue on to where they were originally going. All up there's two hours out of the theme park day gone. It effectively cost them $15 to keep that going. We can go further and suggest that because they're not out riding rides, sitting in shows, littering or watching street performances, they're saving WVTP money. At any rate, if anyone did try this, they'd tire of the huge effort within an hour or two and either hire an all-day locker, carry their belongings with them or leave them in the car. What strikes me as odd is that they are so adamant that they are right, according to Adam's email. It is hugely successful at Universal's theme parks, yet with no actual evidence (it is "their belief") WVTP dismisses the idea. They love to steal theming concepts from USA parks, why not steal some operational techniques while they're at it?

Lol, I think if we get enough people to complain about it ( I am NOT suggesting to get real angry with them, but just have a complaint to them, as a few people have done) They may think "hey alot of people are complaining about this one thing, maybe we should do something about it. Because i have been talking to people that have been, and they all argree that it is rediculious, So I think if we got enough support, we may be able to get them to consider it. For The R-C meet, I am happy to share my locker with up to 2 other people, so like put in 2 or so dollars each, this way it will save us money (day lockers that is). So I think if we manage to get enough support, WVTP may consider doing something about it.

I agree Rich, they wont do it on the basis of a theory that some may cheat the system,surely they could trial it for a week or so and watch the effects (since with electronic lockers you can monitor the habits of users) Also, liveandletlive, feel free to pass it on to them if you want. And also, the 3 paralel lines is how it looks already and people dont merge into one. In peak times if they all filled then people would queue along the leftmost one, do a u turn at the end and go back towards the main entrance then do another u turn and go past the wall with the posters on it, before doing a left turn along the back wall past the big MRT sign which would lead in to the main zig zag part that slopes up to the station doors. Also, the company that makes the lockers is http://www.lockersystems.com/index.html if anyone cares, but its not really their problem is it? The only way out i can reall see is for MW to buy out the lockers outright from Compusafe, but i dont know wether contractual obligations will restrict this. Prehaps the cost could be subsidised by advertsing both on the doors and inside the lockers?

Edited by Gazza

Well, thats where the fee comes in if you Keep your stuff in there for too long, And the person checking height should be supervising them, And in the event of a evacuation, they give each rider after they get off the ride, a ticket, and the supervisor or A member of guest services opens the locker free of charge. But, another catch is, they still can't cheat this system, cause the ticket has the ride time, and it will only be opened up to 10 mins or so later. That could work very well. Those are my Ideas

GAZZA, i printed your sketch for the new design of SE to the right people, although they say there are really good ideas in it (and that i agree) with such a company who really know what they will do i mean i went into the staff dining area yesterday and everything was normal went in there today and a wall was missing with no sign of construction so i eman these places have a weird way of working. so even thought these idea's were passed on please dont hold your breath, MW EMPLOYEE

God you guys are keyboard warriors, just do what they say and pay 7 dollars and get the day locker. Realy making a fuss about nothing. When I went I had no trouble becasue I had a non-riding family member. God you guys are keyboard warriors, just do what they say and pay 7 dollars and get the day locker. Realy making a fuss about nothing. When I went I had no trouble becasue I had a non-riding family member.

-Because its a bit of a rip off -Because there are a very limited number avalaible -Because we didnt need them in the past so why start now -Because we like to have our stuff with us and not have to go back to a car, locker etc -Because if you are a season pass holder it starts adding up for each visit -Because there should be free item storage on all rides (like DW, SW) and at those places you dont need a locker

Edited by Gazza