Dreamworld water park Attractions

mattcrombie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks matt, nice job. Well judging by those pics it seems like Village Roadshow has once again come out on top with the Tornado looking like a seriously quality attraction (thanks ProSlide). Meanwhile over at Macquarie Leisure's waterpark, it's still impossible to guess what's coming. But there are apparantley only going to be 3 towers and we can see 2 of them already. Is it my imagination or are they really small, weak (and green) looking waterslide towers? I can't see how you'd get many good slides coming off those things. And secondly, I personally think the FlowRider looks really average when taken into context with its surrounds. What happened to the multi-million dollar bar and recreational area DW was supposedly building to accompany the attraction? Look how temporary looking it all is. Even the pavement is shocking

Edited by GoGoBoy

Hey GoGoBoy, first of all ease up on Ian as he does not cover the Dreamworld Construction...I do. And if my work does not allow me to get down to the parks every weekend, or if I forget to charge batteries for the camera, then we miss a week, then that's life. As for the three weeks that you claim there was no updates, that is only because there was not a lot to update on, with rain and the car park taking most of the construction within the park, we allowed ourselves to take a week off. Rest easy though as there will be weekly updates from now on as far as the water park construction is concerned....I just have to sell my kids into slavery to pay for the fuel to get to the coast... :P

Edited by thunder001

Take a look at the update on the main page: http://www.roller-coaster.com.au/gallery.php?gid=147 It covers some of the slides and explains what they'll most likely be. I agree that the towers so far do seem somewhat unimpressive in height. The one at the front of the park looks to be the biggest so far, but let's hope they're saving the biggest til last. They certainly come nowhere close to the height of most of Wet'n'Wild's slides, especially their newest.

Great update, thank you. It feels like my negative premonitions are slowly being realised (and even I thought the park might turn out better than I was suggesting). So far we have 2 small towers with 3 tube slides and 2 body slides. WOW! Did Dreamworld say something about world class/never before seen in Australia? Cough. I don't think so. Judging by the slide parts I'm still hoping those tube slides will be this style from ProSlide with the waterfalls (only obviously DW will not have the cool colour scheme) - http://sfne.com/index.php?cat=gallery&gallery=hh ... fourth row down, middle photo And speaking of the colour scheme what is going on there? Not attractive. Even the shades they have chosen are wrong - if they're going to go for different colours they should be really bright - the park is definitely starting to show the hallmarks of Water Technology inc unfortunately (Dorney Park/Wildwater Kingdom here we come)

Edited by GoGoBoy

One little idea, but I doubt we will see it, is the possibilty of master blasters, since they dont require such a high towers. I was hoping that we would see more slides off a smaller tower, i wouldnt have minded if there were several shorter slides off the tower rather than 2 big ones like at WnW, but if you look at the Cyclone Helix tower you can see that there is only provision for four slides (look at the spacing between the posts on the highest level, there are 3 big gaps for the starter tubs, but where a fourth would have gone is empty. Still, we can hope for something, though they better have something because WnW is a HUGE act to follow now. Edit: I think i know why the flowrider wasnt put into the waterpark, could it be simply because the wave pool will be surfable (Like Sunway or Typhoon Lagoon)

Edited by Gazza

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Dreamworld is adding there own Tornado. The Frame is getting built at the moment and being put in the corner of the park near the car park. Look at this rough map I made of what the park layout should be like. This is going from what I can see at the moment. its rough so its a quick job. Also the slides around the Cyclone inversions are going up and more and more buildings and supports for more slides too. Its going up fast. some pics soon. http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8058/dwmap6ta.jpg

Edited by mattcrombie

Sounds positive matt and thanks for the map. Are you sure it's a Tornado and not a Behemouth Bowl or something similar? Maybe the question mark areas will be the toddler pools. And on the side of the park you have got the long slide with big supports. Do you think this could be an Octopus Racer? What do the supports look like and how big exactly? Thanks again for the info. Very much looking forward to your pics

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/738/dsc051074vo.jpg http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/452/dsc051146et.jpg http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3129/dsc051253ql.jpg I'm a 100% sure that its a Tornado. I looked at the pro slides website and checked out the Bowls designs and they don't match this frame or anything. I could be wrong but I think I'm right. I heard from some people too that wet n wild knew dreamworld was getting one so they wanted one to compete and open earlier. The question marked zones are areas I'm not sure what will be built there, most likely kids areas and other stuff....the big slide looks like something like a speed slide or something...the supports aren't all up but some are and the concrete splash pools are built. another questions? Edited by mattcrombie

Wow that's an awesome update matt! Thankyou! Talk about some serious progress. I am happy to say it looks like those slides are the ones from ProSlide that have the waterfall effects over the tunnel exits. I'm not one hundred percent sure but it certainly looks that way which is good. Bit of a strange colour scheme particularly that 'Aussie' tube (please tell me they are not theming it to the world cup or any other sports for that matter) but I'd rather a bit of colour than just standard blue. I reckon they could have gone much brighter if anything. Hmm, I was hoping the long slide you are talking about would be an Octopus Racer from ProSlide. Check out the ProSlide website and let me know if you think this is a possibility. If you're saying it's got a splash pool then I don't think it will be an Octopus Racer unfortunately as they have run-out areas and no pools. And do you think the tower at the front of the park will support more than just the possible Tornado? I'm hoping they will put a ProSlide rocket slide on there aswell. I noticed a number of various supports around that particular tower. What are your thoughts based on what you've seen?

I have no idea if its a Octopus slide or what, I don't know if its a splash pool its just like the things they have at the end of Aqua racer but there not plastic and not deep. The tower out the front will most likely have other slides running off it as you can see from the pic there are many supports around it that are all different shapes and sizes. http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9611/dsc051151ya.jpg Not too sure if its a Rocket waterside. Will keep a look out though. I think this park is going to be awesome, they have buried loads of wooden poles around the park i guess for the theme(looks like telephone poles) and lots of new slides popping up everywhere. Work is going really fast, which is good. Here u can see the Tornado Frame. http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/452/dsc051146et.jpg

Judging by that pic you just posted, the tower at the front of the park now looks completely different. Now that it is almost completed it looks a lot bigger and more impressive. It seems they have added to the lengths of the poles compared to the original pictures we saw of it. I can't believe we are going to end up with 2 Tornados, how funny is that. I hope DW's is the version with the longer entry tube slide so that there's a point of difference between the two

With the Beowulf or Bohemian Bowl or whatever it is, in pics i have seen the framework at the bottom of the bowl is in the same style as a tornado: http://www.officialticketcenter.com/atart/...ture%20copy.gif, but you are probably right and it will be a tornado, maybe they could do a last minute addition to the ride and add disco lights and enclose the funnel as a point of difference. Also, i hate to dissapoint you, but from what i can see that is built so far, there wont be waterfall exits, as there is usually a box type thing with a slot for the waterfall, but i cant see anything like it. But why are they so good? the one at the end of terror canyon was pretty "meh" to me. Also, im taking a punt, but the tallest tower will probably have a multi person raft ride coming off of it, because the gap in the railings is huge and the larger columns will probably support it.

Edited by Gazza

I've had a closer look and I agree Gazza that the tube slides around Cyclone probably won't have the waterfall features afterall. There just appears to be parts where the slides goes in and out of tunnels. I thought they'd be good because it would add something unique to the slides and the Atomic Coasters from ProSlide have way better waterfalls/curtains than the one on Terror Canyon. There are couple of possibilities for the tower at the front of the park judging by its surrounding supports, besides just the Tornado. A family stye raft ride is definitely one possibility. I was thinking (hoping) it may be a Rocket Slide as some of the supports are very similar to the ones required for this type of slide

Well if you have a look at this website Gazza http://www.coaster-net.com/rg/typhoonsfne.php you will see that the Rocket Slide appears to use a combination of the 'standard' supports with the arms jutting out but it also has a number of supports with a T bar configuration or even just straight poles for some of the hill sections. Again it could still be anything but there are a few positive signs. I think you are referring to the tower at the front of the park Gazza. I believe this tower will only hold the Tornado and potentially one or two other slides (Rocket slide or family raft slide, possible Behemouth Bowl etc.). There is another tower which mattcrombie was talking about at the side of the park and I don't mean the Cyclone tube slides one. Construction has only just started on it but matt said the supports looked huge and that they could possibly hold a racing slide. He also said he could see some sort of run-out bay area. Refer to his map further up on this page for an idea of its placement

Oh sorry about that. Well if thats the case cool, i have wanted to ride one of them for ages, But IMO it would be better if it was just one big drop out of the tunnels rather than lots of little ones like super 8, its not that fun just crashing into water and slowing down as you do on super 8, but one smooth, continuous drop would be cool because you could streamline and not get a face full of water all the way down. And i can see what you mean with the supports for a Rocket, but its a bit of a long shot since they are very similar to a normal slides supports. But anyway IMO the rocket slide is inferior to the master blaster, its better to be blasted uphill by water than conveyor belts that break down. One thing, Nice slide colours, do they come in mens? Maybe they will look a bit better surrounded by plants.

Edited by Gazza

It's all sounding great, the name's albeit disappointing and I can see some confusion in the future. A Rocket would be amazing, but another tornado, meh....... oooo maybe it will be like Knott's and have a long lead up or something...... anyway that's my bit for now.

Now things are really starting to get exciting! I was coming back from the coast last sunday night and could of sworn I saw slide parts, but I put it down to sleep deprivation and wishful thinking. SO happy that I was wrong! I am really looking forward to whats ahead for "Whitewater World". Even the standard flumes look like that could have some good speed and nice turns. Greats pics!!! Can't wait to see everything unfold.

Edited by OzCoasterFreek

BIG NEWS! I have been doing my usual research trying to find out exactly what we can expect from this park and thanks to a great source I managed to get in touch with I have been able to get a good overview. Let me just say this waterpark is something you should all start getting very, very excited about. I would like to take back any negative comments I made a few weeks back - I am about to be proven very wrong and I couldn't be happier about it. I can't say any more other than get ready for a wish list of attractions. Let the speculation begin...