Movie World brings down the axe on jobs

GoGoBoy

I thought that sounded a bit familiar... I think the key saving point of Movie World is that it's owned and operated by a company that is in it for the long run. They developed the park and continue to craft the site into a multi-faceted tourist attraction, with now four standalone attractions operating on the site, all relying on each other. The best part is they can't really "pull a Wonderland" because thanks to the fierce competition. If they just left it to rot for six or seven years there'd be no captive audience to reap the profits from like Wonderland could - Dreamworld. About five years ago Movie World closed Maverick and fired about 50 entertainment staff (some of which I believe weren't involved with the show). Fair enough - they're running a business and if they see certain positions not pulling their weight for the company, it's their right to make the necessary downsizes. Though what followed was several years of complete entertainment starvation - absolutely no street theatre aside from the occasional character photo opportunity, only one major show (Police Academy), Gremlins closed for Scooby construction and Young Einstein closed for Harry Potter construction. Scooby-Doo managed to pull them out of that one. Though I wouldn't quite say Superman has put them back in (far from it - the park still has a thriving range of general entertainment), but it's food for thought if they're having to downsize at this point - when everything should be going strong and reaping the benefits of a major new ride.

I don't know, after just opening a $20million expansion, plus new attractions with more on the way, I don't think selling up shop is the next part of Village's game plan. Plus the fact that they are talking about making more parks in Asia seems to imply that they are in it for the long haul. Plus they will continue to use the WB characters seems to say something about them being in it for the long term to me, remember that Wonderland ditched its characters before closing. As for the jobs, its my understanding that its probably going to be the street parade that will go, which itself is no biggie. I mean all that thing does is clog up main street and viewing for the parade is not all that great, so that part of it doesn't worry me. The guys loosing the jobs sucks pretty bad though, and I'm really surprised that they weren't offered other jobs in the company, even if it had to be in other departments. Thats the way this sort of thing normally goes, so its sad to see it not happening here. I don't think this will see a complete deprivation of street theatre like a few years back, but just a scaling back of what was on offer. Fair enough call as far as I'm concerned, just very unfortunate and dissapointing for those involved.

Well from all reports many of the staff were actually offered jobs within other areas of the company, and a few did take up the offer. We all have to remember that this really is the dead time of year and the bean counting has to be expected. I would be very surprised if I didn't see new hires equal to or in excess of the recent redundances within the next 3 to 4 months. You also have to wonder, if all of these people really were star employees and assets to the company, would they really be let go?

After years of entertaining guests from around Australia and the world, Warner Bros Movie World closed its gates for the last time this evening. A turbulent history and a lack of true corporate backing could be held responsible for the closure of this Gold Coast icon, even if the park's management says otherwise. The park always had potential, but often failed to live up to this, with only three major attractions added in the park's history. Many more were removed over the years, particularly towards then end of the park's somewhat shaky history. Reasons cited by management for the closure included, SARS, September 11, Ansett's collapse and a whole host of other scapegoats. The site is to be turned into an industrial area, creating an alleged 9,000 jobs. Homes for the rides is not known at this stage, though all the major rides are expected to be sold, with the park seeking expressions of interests from interested parties. Their fate could be said to rest in the hands of Australia's other theme and amusement parks. Seems a bit far fetched doesnt it? Actually this is a slightly modified version of a news article posted by Richard around the time that Wonderland closed, and for the most part tells Wonderland's story. Most people who saw this article about wonderland in say - early 2003 would have laughed it off as a joke too... Possible for movie world? probably not... but in reading all the comments of low attendance and so on, I kept having flashbacks of the same sort of posts pre-wonderland's announcement of closure.... lol There have been significant job losses at WBMW, however the details and sources of this i cannot post, as I have not asked any permission from those who have informed me. It is sad to see such a world class (Can I use that word about Warner?) Park is resorting to cost cutting measures, which is causing their attractions and their cast to suffer... all the while maintaining a brave face with new attractions across the board. The new attraction soon to enter the atmosphere near SE and Lethal had better come quickly, and it had better be marketed better than SE was, and to a broader range of people, unless we are to see the gold coast go the way of Wonderland... slowly, im sure, but inevitable if the trends continue...
Whoa, you had me scared for a minute then.... I don't think anything will happen in the near future, and it would be a shame to see Movie World close.