Whirlpool & Matrix Reloaded

Richard

They've been saying 1000 pph all along. I'm not sure what system that is that determines that. Whether they've calculated what we in the industry call the "novelty effect" :), and based the thoroughput on that, or they're going to let in a few dozen people at a time, and fire up the currents for everyone to drift around for a few minutes then stopping it and letting them all out.
After visiting Wet 'n' Wild last week, I can confirm that operations of Whirlpool involve letting 30 people or so into the attraction, operating the whirlpool for a few mins and then slowing the water and letting the people out and start over again. The best way I can describe it is that its like loading a bumper cars, in that the tubes are scattered randomly throughout the attraction depending on when the people last in the tubes got out. Also like bumper cars, little kids scramble through and get all the good tubes. I didn't mind the ride itself, but as it is very popular with young children (the ones that are at the age where being irritating is a prerequisite), I don't think it'll be a regular attraction that I visit when I go to the park.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got out there today. And from what I saw of Whirlpool, given that I didn't ride it, it's a pretty lame ride. It doesn't seem that much faster than Calypso Beach, not to mention it's tiny in comparison and not exactly the prettiest thing. From what I saw, there's not really any smaller whirlpools or anything to spin you or create rapids or anything - it's all pretty much a continuous one-way, gentle spinning. To be honest, there's a council-owned swimming complex in Brisbane I know of that has a better whirlpool than this one. As I guessed, it's just meant to be a way to suck a few more people out of the spilling queues on other rides. It's by no means a destination ride, and was never meant to be. Now, a new tower complex with a half-dozen new tube slides would be my ideal people-sucker (and you look at what some of the relatively small theme parks in America added to their water parks this season - i.e. SFWOA or Dorney Park's colossal things), but considering the scapegoat that is the world economy crisis, you can't expect much.

^dude we were there wednesday and you right whirlpool looked very slow so we gave it a miss. the spas would have been better one thing going for wet n wild is the attendance its been very good this year including beaten sea world and movieworld on one day a few months back with something like 7000 just needs more slides IMO so my day last longer.

Yeah, I think that's absolutely right. They really need a lot more slides - as it is, they've got what, about 12 or so slides. Meanwhile, as I said in my previous post, there are theme parks whose "small" water parks are getting slide complexes with more than 12 - added in just a season. The only way you can fill a day at Wet'n'Wild is by re-riding things like Aqua Racer, and though tremendously fun, it's good to have such a variety that you don't need to spend two hours doing that (two hours out of a seven hour day is a lot). The Australian public just doesn't yet know what real water parks are made of. :)

I totally agree! Some (most) waterparks in the US look incredible. That's why I've always respected Wet n Wild 'cause each year they have added new attractions which have usually been of a world class standard. Unfortunately something went terribly wrong the past 2 years with the only addition being Whirlpool. They've taken a bit of a step back and now have some catching up to do. Definitely more tube slides please! It worries me though that you mention that wnw has had a busy year. If they have a busy year without adding anything decent then that might tell them that they can continue to get away with it. What's wrong with people? Why do they seem to visit parks more often when there are no new attractions? The Aussie public is going to give park owners the wrong idea. Anyway, I'm rambling a bit now (getting caught up in the wonderland sentiment). I noticed that Cedar Point is adding a new indoor waterpark this year. Looks great and HUGE. Lots of theming too. It's set to have loads of slides (it'll probably start out with more than wnw) with an uphill watercoaster (master blaster style) at its centre.

• 1 month later...

Well, on my day @ WnW (Tuesday), I wasn't really looking forward to going on anything, although the only thing I wanted to do was go on was Whirlpool to test it out and see what it was like. But then the day was ruined... The first sign I read of the day was: Rides Closed today for Maintennance: WHIRLPOOL That brightened up my day, lol.