Giant Drop ; Rising Speed

I might just be imagining it, (which is more than likely) but when I rode the GD a couple of weeks ago, when the gondola was rising up the tower, it felt a lot faster than when I rode it in 06. It says in this video

that it takes 90 seconds to get to the top, and I could bet on it that it takes a lot less. Have they sped up the speed at which it rises at, or am I imagining it? Edited by revolutionx

I think the 90 seconds is split into two parts. There's the part where they take you up 90% of the tower, and that doesn't take a great deal of time at all, perhaps 30-50 seconds. The remaining time is you being slowly pulled further up until you're in place for the release mechanism to work. Not sure why, but if you watch it closely, when the gondola appears to have stopped, it actually continues rising, but very very slowly.

I think the 90 seconds is split into two parts. There's the part where they take you up 90% of the tower, and that doesn't take a great deal of time at all, perhaps 30-50 seconds. The remaining time is you being slowly pulled further up until you're in place for the release mechanism to work. Not sure why, but if you watch it closely, when the gondola appears to have stopped, it actually continues rising, but very very slowly.
Ohh, okay. And yeah, I think I know what you mean when you can feel it when it slowly rises up, it makes a sort of clicking noise.

What is the reasoning behind the creep at the top again? Perhaps the tech guy who tweaked it was also responsible for the way Cyclone creeps into the station :rolleyes:
My god, the Cyclone stops and starts and stops and starts, its so stupid. Most rollercoasters just glide on in the the station, and it takes seconds, unlike the Cyclone.

• 4 weeks later...

I just assumed that since Cyclone goes in 1 car at a time maybe where it used to live only had a single lane exit and people were unloaded 1 car at a time? And now that it is at Dreamworld this is no longer necessary but just the way the ride operates. That was just my guess to explain the unexplainable. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are..... No park in the world would run a coaster so inefficiently, and it would be difficult mechanically to have a ride running like that (Eg having restraints open on a moving train) The movement of cyclone isn't one car at a time, it just gets slowed whenever it creeps above the ridiculously low speed tolerance.

Edited by Gazza

Don't forget that damn gate at the front of the station, such a slow closing and opening gate, which has to be either closed or opened before anything can happen. I must say though that the gate system they used for the Motocoaster are very good, damn quick opening, and a decent closing speed. And with the brakes, surley a slow down before the station, then slow the train down halfway into the station, then the final stop would be sufficient. Does anyone know if any other auto arrow's are programmed like the cyclone in regards to their station brakes?