Michigan's Adventure

DaptoFunlandGuy

So the wife and I are looking around the US to places we'd like to visit. We had a look at Michigan as there are some 'non-park' attractions we're interested in and happened upon Michigan's Adventure.

It seems to be the only 'major' park in the state. There are numerous "parks" in Michigan - but only 9 coasters on record - 7 of which are at Michigan's Adventure. I was curious if anyone had visited the park, and whether it would be worth the detour?

The park is a combined theme water park, with 4 Steel and 3 Woodies:

• Corkscrew - An Arrow Corkscrew model built in 1978 - which looks identical to SeaScrewCorkViper.
  • Big Dipper - A Chance Big Dipper built in 1999
  • Mad Mouse - An Arrow Mad Mouse built in 1999
  • Thunderhawk - A Vekoma SLC built in 2008 - similar to Arkham Lethal, and formerly of Geauga Lake
  • Shivering Timbers - A 1.6km CCI out-and-back Woodie topping out at 91km/h
  • Wolverine Wildcat - A Dinn double-out-and-back Woodie built in 1988 which looks very similar to Wonderland's Bush Beast
  • Zach's Zoomer - A CCI family woodie built in 1994

Anyone been?

I've heard that Shivering Timbers is one of the best woodies in the world. Their coaster lineup however is pretty weak but It's good to go to the park since there's nothing else in the state really. Michigan is right above Ohio so why not just go to Cedar Point or Kings Island if you don't mind renting a car.

It would depend on what part of Michigan you are in....Cedar point is only a 2 hour drive from Detroit, and it's likely you'll be flying in there as a gateway to the state right?

As for Michigans Adventure, for me that's the sort of park I'd visit if it were "On the way" or quite close to where I was, but I'd otherwhise not make any special effort for it.

Sorry Alex but I haven’t been to Michigan but Michigan's Adventure looks like the biggest park from what I can see. I’m sure you’ve seen the POV’s of Shivering Timbers which looks like an amazing coaster & the size of it is quite mind blowing.

Not sure if you plan to go to Minnesota but if you do I highly recommend Valley Fair, it has an amazing line up of coasters & rides. Renegade is absolutely awesome & a relentless ride from that first twisted drop to the fly over end. Excalibur also packs a great punch as it twists around the track, I actually felt like I was going to fly out of the carriage at one point. Wild Thing is the tallest coaster there & it’s pretty cool to ride with its huge drops & tunnel. High Roller is the oldest coaster & is a bit rough but fun in parts as well. Steel Venom is a fantastic impulse coaster, we rode that three times. The water rides are pretty standard but a lot of fun just be prepared to get soaked on these especially Thunder Canyon. Also in Minnesota is the theme park in the MOA. It’s definitely worth a visit & is open year round. There is a huge amount of rides & coaters to enjoy there.

Sorry Alex but I haven’t been to Michigan but Michigan's Adventure looks like the biggest park from what I can see. I’m sure you’ve seen the POV’s of Shivering Timbers which looks like an amazing coaster & the size of it is quite mind blowing.

Not sure if you plan to go to Minnesota but if you do I highly recommend Valley Fair, it has an amazing line up of coasters & rides. Renegade is absolutely awesome & a relentless ride from that first twisted drop to the fly over end. Excalibur also packs a great punch as it twists around the track, I actually felt like I was going to fly out of the carriage at one point. Wild Thing is the tallest coaster there & it’s pretty cool to ride with its huge drops & tunnel. High Roller is the oldest coaster & is a bit rough but fun in parts as well. Steel Venom is a fantastic impulse coaster, we rode that three times. The water rides are pretty standard but a lot of fun just be prepared to get soaked on these especially Thunder Canyon. Also in Minnesota is the theme park in the MOA. It’s definitely worth a visit & is open year round. There is a huge amount of rides & coaters to enjoy there.

Plus Valleyfair has a Screamin Swing, Huss Top Spin, Enterprise, S & S drop towers, skycoaster and a looping starship so there is quite a lot to do at Valleyfair. Looks like a hidden gem for a cedar fair park.

I've been.

The first time I rode Shivering Timbers it was a fantastic ride. The second time it was in serious need of retracking. That being said, I've not ridden it in over ten years now so one presumes it has had some new track since :)

If you're anywhere near by it's worth visiting Kokomo's just to support a small out of the way FEC - but it's quite a trek to get there so you'd need to be fairly hard core.