TRRR Charges to be laid today

Brad2912

I don't think that's what he's arguing - just going off the back of the 'QLD Workcover is to blame too!' suggestion on the last page.

We're being sarcastic about the reasons given by various staff as to how prior issues went unreported, and how current staff were either ignorant or, or ambivalent to the risks posed by the ride.

Jesus christ, why can I not make any comment with it automatically being assumed I'm defending DW? 
I sat through 4 weeks of people explaining in great detail exactly how it was Dreamworld's fault and then I sat through 2 hours of a coroner ripping the shit out of them. They fucked up and killed 4 people. I'm sorry I just happen to have the most detailed account of events thanks to that. 

• Like 2

On 22/07/2020 at 7:21 PM, Jpw25111 said:

WH&S QLD must be somewhat at blame here. They are are the regulators who weren't really regulating at all. 

On 23/07/2020 at 7:17 AM, AlexB said:

private certifiers sign off on the plant. WH&S QLD can't inspect every plant installation in the state and rely on third party certifiers who are supposed to have qualifications that make them fit to do so.

I believe the coroner actually criticised the certifiers - apparently things were signed off on paperwork alone, and no actual inspection was done... my memory is a little rusty though, so i could be wrong about that.

17 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

There was also something raised during the inquest. DW had requested their certificate be extended because they haven't had a chance to get the inspector in yet but essentially it should be fine because it's been running without issue for 35 years

17 hours ago, AlexB said:

well, also according to the coroners report, the current 'guy' in charge of that shit also had no knowledge of any prior incidents, because nobody told him, and there was no proper system to record them, if my memory serves...

15 hours ago, joz said:

If I'm missing the sarcasm I'll wear it, I didn't catch it. But to me it came across like disproportionate amount of blame was going to OH&S when in the report it was more of a footnote.

Read the above in order. JPW suggested WH&S QLD should wear blame. We were both just pointing out the reasons why that shouldn't be the case.

On 21/07/2020 at 7:35 PM, Pyro said:

The industrial manslaughter laws came after the Dreamworld accident, so they cant be used in the case. Im pretty sure this is the reason they stayed closed. Let the news cycle pass and open on better terms.

Time wise, not a problem. It was the deaths at eagle farm race course that ushered them in. 

But, as already said, industrial manslaughter charges only prosecute deaths to employees. 

Edited by Levithian

Dreamworld operator Ardent Leisure has plead guilty to three charges relating to the death of four people on the Thunder River Rapids Ride in 2016. 

It is alleged the operator failed to comply with its health and safety duty, putting theme park guests at risk of serious injury or death.