Moreton Bay “Tourism Attraction” Proposal

adamunro

https://www.moretondaily.com.au/news/jet-set-plans-for-huge-tourist-attraction?fbclid=IwAR2VIGX3iqVS-Lk_wmejEOYAFKQHSGHdh1Df_-UeggPoul9JV2zkwlztbZ0_aem_Ael49np2AWLSGEMVLURpJPpvHbQaGTNdlgVofJSvP8ECJ3xv-5sLklQKgtjRbUuOXRQ

Plans for a major new tourist attraction, creating thousands of jobs, have been revealed by Moreton Bay City Council. 

A report for tomorrow’s General Meeting gives no specific details and seeks approval for 'international travel for tourism investment'.

However, it does say Council “has a number of high-quality leads, including one major proponent interested to develop a major tourism accommodation and experience offering in the City of Moreton Bay.

“The project, if realised, would contribute thousands of jobs and generate significant economic output, the likes of which have not been previously realised in the City of Moreton Bay.

“It would also become a major attractor as part of the Brisbane 2032 Olympics and Paralympics.”

Councillors will vote on a request to send an elected representative and/or the CEO and possibly officers to South-East Asia and the Middle East early next year.

In the publicly-available meeting agenda, it says they would meet ‘investment teams of a live major tourism development interested in the City of Moreton Bay’.

The representatives would look to ‘position the City of Moreton Bay as the best location for the tourism development’.

In the report it adds: “Due to signing a non-disclosure agreement, Council is constrained from providing further details of the project and the proponent.”

Moreton Daily has contacted Council for further information.

But it adds the region’s tourism potential is “limited by a lack of branded short-term accommodation and commissionable product in the form of tourism experiences”.

Council as a Tourism Opportunity Plan (TOP) which includes a graphic showing tourism opportunities and tourism developments in the pipeline.

Six of the ‘opportunities’ are on the western side of the region, one at Redcliffe and two just north of Caboolture.

Council has also identified a major shortfall in visitor accommodation saying in the lead-up to the 2032 Olympic Games it needs at least eight hotels and more than 1000 hotel rooms.

In August Council put two major parcels of land – by the highway turn-off to Caboolture and in the centre of North Lakes – back on the market.”

• Like 1

20 hours ago, adamunro said:

https://www.moretondaily.com.au/news/jet-set-plans-for-huge-tourist-attraction?fbclid=IwAR2VIGX3iqVS-Lk_wmejEOYAFKQHSGHdh1Df_-UeggPoul9JV2zkwlztbZ0_aem_Ael49np2AWLSGEMVLURpJPpvHbQaGTNdlgVofJSvP8ECJ3xv-5sLklQKgtjRbUuOXRQ

Plans for a major new tourist attraction, creating thousands of jobs, have been revealed by Moreton Bay City Council. 

A report for tomorrow’s General Meeting gives no specific details and seeks approval for 'international travel for tourism investment'.

However, it does say Council “has a number of high-quality leads, including one major proponent interested to develop a major tourism accommodation and experience offering in the City of Moreton Bay.

“The project, if realised, would contribute thousands of jobs and generate significant economic output, the likes of which have not been previously realised in the City of Moreton Bay.

“It would also become a major attractor as part of the Brisbane 2032 Olympics and Paralympics.”

Councillors will vote on a request to send an elected representative and/or the CEO and possibly officers to South-East Asia and the Middle East early next year.

In the publicly-available meeting agenda, it says they would meet ‘investment teams of a live major tourism development interested in the City of Moreton Bay’.

The representatives would look to ‘position the City of Moreton Bay as the best location for the tourism development’.

In the report it adds: “Due to signing a non-disclosure agreement, Council is constrained from providing further details of the project and the proponent.”

Moreton Daily has contacted Council for further information.

But it adds the region’s tourism potential is “limited by a lack of branded short-term accommodation and commissionable product in the form of tourism experiences”.

Council as a Tourism Opportunity Plan (TOP) which includes a graphic showing tourism opportunities and tourism developments in the pipeline.

Six of the ‘opportunities’ are on the western side of the region, one at Redcliffe and two just north of Caboolture.

Council has also identified a major shortfall in visitor accommodation saying in the lead-up to the 2032 Olympic Games it needs at least eight hotels and more than 1000 hotel rooms.

In August Council put two major parcels of land – by the highway turn-off to Caboolture and in the centre of North Lakes – back on the market.”

Can’t wait for the Southern Hemisphere’s largest shopping mall. Seriously, though, hopefully it’s something good, but it’d be truly hilarious if Queensland gets a 4th amusement park before Sydney/Melbourne get a single non-Luna Park.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Noll_57 said:

I’m pretty sure Gumbuya World, Funfields and Adventure Park are all non-Luna Parks. 

Fair, I didn’t know Gumbuya was that close to Melbourne, nor did I remember that Funfields exists (though, looking at its ride lineup, it seems to be of lesser budget to Luna Park anyway), but isn’t Adventure Park a waterpark? Anyway, I should’ve worded it better & said ‘major’ amusement park, which I’d consider to be anything that draws more than current Aussie World (e.g. Luna Park & above).

2 hours ago, Tricoart said:

Fair, I didn’t know Gumbuya was that close to Melbourne, nor did I remember that Funfields exists (though, looking at its ride lineup, it seems to be of lesser budget to Luna Park anyway), but isn’t Adventure Park a waterpark? Anyway, I should’ve worded it better & said ‘major’ amusement park, which I’d consider to be anything that draws more than current Aussie World (e.g. Luna Park & above).

TBH, Luna Park Melbourne is probably the lesser park compared to Gumbuya and Funfields right now IMHO. LPM haven’t added anything major for quite some time (the limited space doesn’t help), while GW and FF have continued to invest in new attractions, park upgrades and expansions every year. GW and FF both pull in very decent crowds (both are always packed whenever I visit) and the presentation/theming at them is quite impressive and far exceeds anything LPM has ever done. The “classic amusement park” charm and historical significance of some attractions are about the only things going for LPM currently.  

Adventure Park does focus more on water attractions compared to the other Victorian Parks. However, it’s still home to a number of flat rides and even a small coaster (something Funfields desperately needs), so I’d still classify it as an amusement park (though it has a much lower budget compared to the other Vic parks and definitely isn’t what I’d call “major”). 

Getting somewhat back on topic, if a new park was ever to establish itself in QLD, now is probably the best time given the upcoming Olympics and the exposure it could bring. I do wonder if the likes of Merlin and Parques Reunidos (both long rumored to be keen in expanding further in Australia) could finally consider biting the bullet and making a bigger splash here? 

9 hours ago, Tricoart said:

Fair, I didn’t know Gumbuya was that close to Melbourne

If we're talking about fair...

14 hours ago, Tricoart said:

it’d be truly hilarious if Queensland gets a 4th amusement park before Sydney/Melbourne get a single non-Luna Park.

You've lined up an entire state against just the two capital cities. It isn't really fair to use Brisbane since all the parks are in the GC, but just to put things in perspective "distance" wise -

Melbourne:

• Luna Park (within the city - 20 minutes drive from flinders st station)
  • Gumbuya (approx 1hr away)
  • Funfields (approx 1 hr away)
  • Adventure Park (approx 2 hours away)

Sydney:

• Luna Park (within the city - 13 minutes drive from Sydney Central station)
  • Raging Waters (approx 36 minutes away)
  • Jamberoo (approx 1 hr 41 minutes away)

Brisbane

• No park within the city - will use Roma Street as central point
  • Dreamworld (approx 45 minutes away)
  • Movie World (approx 52 minutes away)
  • Sea World (approx 1 hr 13 minutes away)

(all times based on current traffic on google this morning)

Just for comparison's sake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tricoart said:

Aren’t they both water parks too?

Raging Waters is. Jamberoo is a bit more of a wildcard given the toboggans, though they are leaning more waterpark with each new attraction, and obviously I missed out on WNW and WWW, though their times would be pretty much the same as DW and MW.