Luna Park Sydney Photos

Guest boycotta

I don't think Dave would terribly mind his pictures being posted here. It certainly beats directly linking them to his site, chewing up his site's transfer. However, a big fat www.ride-extravaganza.com link in your post would have been the least that you could have done, boycotta. Anyway, the changes made between Luna Park and here were as follows: A coat of paint for everything - supports were changed from white to blue, and the track is now a lighter, brighter shade of yellow. The train was repainted. Because the ground under Big Dipper's station was actually raised from ground level, and Cyclone's site wasn't, some of the supports were extended (look at the support for the turnaround into the station if you can't see it - the one closest to the front). It's been changed from a reasonably smooth ride to a rough ride, as a result of Dreamworld's stellar maintenance teams.

You are quite correct Richard. As Big Dipper at Luna Park, it was a very smooth quite enjoyable experience. My wife and I had ridden Big Dipper probably about 25 times and loved it..it was my favorite coaster in Australia at Luna. However we got a big shock upon riding the Cyclone at Dreamworld. Our memories were tainted by a ride that had become very harsh and generally unpleasant. :( However the thing that struck us the most was the whole ambience of the ride had changed. At Luna it was fit into a tightly compacte footprint interspersed with buildings and high rises and cliffs. It travelled around till it flew past Coney Island and into the sidewinder and the loop...the magic was that you werent expecting it. And to ride it at night...whoa!! that was a different experience altogether!! 8) But up at Dreamworld it just seems souless and empty..it definitely isnt the ride it was. How's my emoticon Mr Moon symbol coming along mate?? :mrgreen: Cheers Jobe

You guys are so right about the roughness. Since my last visit to Dreamworld to try the Cyclone at its new home, I had been suspecting that I was just hallucinating about how rough the ride had become. I'm glad to hear that others agree. I think it is disgraceful what Dreamworld has done! Would this ever happen in a big American park? The last post was right regarding some of the ambience being lost due to the fact that the cyclone is now just plonked in an open area rather than strategically placed as it was in Sydney. You would think that they would therefore go to all efforts to retain the smoothness of the ride. What is it about Australia and roughness??

hey does anyone remember the billy conolly special with him travelling around Australia? the reason i brought this up was because there was some good clips of a helicopter going over Luna Park at night with the Big Dipper going...... actually, appart from David's photo, does anyone else have photos of the old Big Dipper?

I think it is disgraceful what Dreamworld has done! Would this ever happen in a big American park?
Hey, they don't call Dreamworld Australia's Six Flags for nothing :D Jobe, I agree. While I never went on "Big Dipper", I can imagine that the ride would be a bit more 'magical' had it not been placed randomly on old car park. Just doesn't have the same visual appeal as Sydney Harbour.