Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

Girl hurt at amusement park

55 posts in this topic

Taken from www.news.com.au Girl hurt at amusement park January 11, 2004 A SIX-year-old girl was today in a stable condition after being seriously injured in an amusement park accident on the Gold Coast overnight. She suffered head injuries when she fell from a ride at a Broadbeach amusement park. She was airlifted by the Careflight Helicopter from the Gold Coast Hospital to the intensive care unit at Brisbane's Mater Children's Hospital at 3am today. AP Does anybody know the story? What happened? What kind of ride did she fall from? Maybe our northern brothers can help out with this one?

The amusement park in question isn't an amusement park as such, but is a bunch of portable rides set up for the holidays. The rides consist of a scrambler, ferries wheel, dodgem cars and one or two others. The rides have been set up along the beach, opposite Broadbeach primary school, and are only open from around 7 till 10pm. This accident has surprised me quite a bit, because its the first piece of evidence I've come across to suggest people actually go on those rides.

Thanks Joz, I figured this was going to be the case. I hate it when the papers go and use the word 'amusement park' because its only intention is to get us thinking its one of the BIG 4. Its a Carnival we're talking about here, not an amusement park!

My first thought was Wally World for some reason. Probably because it really wouldn't surprise me and a serious ride incident there is just around the corner.

yeah bad news, this is great for the industry :( . Now public liability may go up again. I saw this exact same carnival in September 2001, next to the OASIS Shopping Centre. I also visited the Rye Beach Carnival on Thursday night, pretty good!. Mad Mouse, that crashed at the Melb Show, was running perfect, much smoother than at the show. All in all, 2004 Rye carnival is kinda good. O'Neill's Fabbri Ranger, Pirate and Rainbow didnt make an appearance, but the rest was fun :D

Guest Chippy
The amusement park in question isn't an amusement park as such
I never said amusement park I said the world of amusement, there is a difference. :mrgreen:

I think Cletis forgot to check the lapbar. Chippy do you ever read the previous posts? If you do, do you understand them? Just one more question, what do you want to do when you grow up? "The Bus is now leaving for Natters, Austria"

I think a sloth would have a brain faster than you. What does your last post mean? If Chippy can't help me can someone else because I have got no idea what he is on about. "The Bus is now leaving for New Caledonia"

The fact is a girl was seriously hurt on an attraction. Now that ride, djrappa, could be at a major theme park or a local carnival... all parks, big and small should take this incident seriously. Anyway aren't we all compassionate humans... instead about arguing about amusement parks/carnivals, shouldn't we be seeking to ensure the girl has a speedy recovery :idea:

Are you trying to tell me Chip that it takes you 45 minutes to post a one line message? If it does then you brain is much slower than I appreciated. BTW you still haven't answered my question, which I think proves that you don't read the messages before you post. "The Bus is now leaving for Yemen"

Oh yes I'm not in any way trying to play down the seriousness of the incident and I do indeed hope the girl is okay. I just don’t think it's fair to phrase it like that as it immediately puts doubts in peoples minds about the more reputable amusement facilities. I'm never surprised to see incidents like this at carnivals as I know how they are run. Amusement parks tend to be in a bit of a different class. For the record my gripe was with the media, not Chippy.

Rappa, your stereotyping mate...

I know how they are run.
I, for one have been to Oktoberfest at the Fairfield Showgrounds in Sydney and found theie operators to be very confident and precise in the work they did. Not all Carny operators are bad. Just those with an attitude of carelessness.